Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111139 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2012, 12:16:51 am »

20 Monk, 12 WD.

Monk can occasionally feel like a chore because all its attacks are derived from the 1, 2, 3 punch structure. So when you're low on spirit and need between 1/3 and 1/2 your spirit bulb to do something powerful....it can become kind of a drag repeatedly punching...and punching...and punching....especially on elite/named guys.

That said, I think Monk is one of the flashiest classes out of all of them, and you can be really responsive with stuff like the teleport punch and dashing strike, where other classes have to trundle on over to fight things. If you like being the first into a pack full of guys, Monk is the class to play.

Being good at monk I think means having good control over when you use your spirit attacks. Because all of your cool stuff runs off it, and it can be easy to 7-Sided-Strike or Exploding Palm your way into being out of spirit...which force you to do the 1,2,3 thing again. Loading up on as much spirit regen/life from spirit/life from hit seems pretty much fundamental to kicking ass with the class.

WD I haven't played as much, but I think it has some of the best conceived runes. And all its stuff just generally seems fun and thematic. I think it's probably one of the more relaxed classes to play.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2012, 12:37:39 am »

I had fun with the WD in open beta and now with my guest pass. It's the one that will be my main character and is currently my only properly levelled character. It will also be my crafter, just because things that it needs tend to be things that only a wizard would need. So far I haven't had a great time with Wizards on guest pass, although they do look like they'll be fantastic later on. I do know that a lot of stuff changes as you level up higher and more content is opened to you. So all my views are only up to level 13 and up to the skelly king.

WD seems to be a class that's always welcome. Pretty much every party can use a few summons, an AOE damaging slow and either more AOE damage or some reasonable ranged DPS. It's not that it's party supportive, it's just that they seem to be the best "gap-filler" class of the lot. No matter who shows up to a public game, you'll be fine if you have a WD. 3 WDs make stuff very fast and very safe, one is a great gap filler regardless. I've helped 3 lower level wizards through skelly-king no problem with my WD.

Monk will be my next to max out. With the elective skill selection and the low levelling cap, I'll probably just go for the three-palm thingy and tele-punch. With the three-palm having the range rune for groups and tele-punch for movement it will just be a basic melee character. I don't really know what the hell I'll use spirit for on a guest pass.
It's a game. Have fun.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2012, 01:47:11 am »

Both artisans are account(and SC or HC)-wide. You only have to level them up once and every character of that softcore/hardcore designation can use them.

I've also been playing a WD, for the solo and group utility. I've found he's much easier to play well in a group, as solo 80% of monsters run/skip/leap/charge/burrow past my gargantuan and gangbang me. I stacked Vit to help with it, but my damage runs towards the low end if I don't have all my buffs rolling.

The group I've been running with is a barb/monk/wiz/WD so we have just about everything covered well.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2012, 02:12:18 am »

Just had a quick go of the monk. Seems to have potential.

Deadly Reach, piercing trident runed on left click. Remember to press shift a lot. Fist of thunder, tele-punch runed on right click. Remember to do the other two attacks for the lightning AoE instead of wasting the first charge. I'll just waste spirit with group heals, blind from time to time and have a mantra going. Whatever stomper/damager/or DoT I can get as a monk. I've been meaning to set my keyboard up with a/z/s/x as my taskbar keys so that they're near my shift key.

Meh. It's not great, and it will probably fall apart a bit in the later game, but "Shift-left-click-lots-of-times, right-click, repeat. Hit cool-downs and spirit suckers as much as you can be bothered" makes for a simple character when I don't want to think, just want explodey/movey stuff happening.

Yayyy, I even found Griswold's Worn Blade. With a ton more knockback this might be a fun/easy clicky build. Plus, hitting barrels from a distance with a melee character is fun. Shift-click is your friend with anything ranged/AoE melee.

It seems just like a dragon-flight/martial art assassin of D2 with a few different side skills. Which is good. Elective skills are great for that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:21:59 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2012, 04:13:02 am »

Ok it took a LOT of stacking but I finally got my mage good damage.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2012, 06:36:34 am »

I found that with my wizard too. Except I still don't have good gear yet. It's sort of at the end of my list of this to do (craft more +int , +damage gear). But my WD feels seriously strong now using dire bats or splinter darts, switching out to 80 % grasp when needed (skelly king basically) for party support. I probably don't even need to switch now I've remapped stuff.

That's one thing about the melee classes. Two weapons makes it so easy do get high damage at the start. Any decent weapon is a major boost.

I really do recommend people do the Selective Skills thing and remap their taskbar keys to a/z/s/x. My monk is now dashing around, blinding people and punching stuff from half a screen away like never before. It feels like a lot better game with a simple option ticked and a control remap.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:39:06 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2012, 06:57:31 am »

So I've been playing in Hell difficulty with my monk... trust me, it's ridiculously overpowered. :P Been playing with a bunch of friends (Usually 2 monks/barb/demonhunter), and the non-monks are all rolling monks now.

No other class has so many gimmicks. Huge tank, endless stuns, massive AoE life degen with blade storm, spamming heals and protection every split second that prots team for 15% of their max health, while healing and buffing damage.

I've been hearing that monk team is pretty good in inferno.

By level 50, I had hit 4000 damage, with 50% increased attack speed, bladestorm melts everything in a constant radius around me.

Onward to Inferno!

Current build variation:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aiXgYQ!fXY!YZbacb

Utility: Do stupid amounts of DPS to everything around you while spamming mantra of healing every second. Watch "hard" bosses lives just melt. This build can allow your team to stand around in arcane/desolator bosses nukes. Its that ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:13:19 am by KaelGotDwarves »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:01 am »

Monk is the new paladin.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2012, 10:11:46 am »

Monk is the new paladin.

Maybe the other classes will have their time to shine in the closest x-pac.
(the one where the items you farmed one boss well over 150 times become a common drop from regular mobs)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2012, 10:46:13 am »

I have a lvl 29 barb that is breezing through all enemies and bosses. With the right gear I think any of the classes can be OP.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2012, 11:17:00 am »

This game is fun.  :)

I have legendary pants made out of the skins of plague victims!  And a black mushroom that doesn't seem to do anything, but is "Account bound".

I don't know how you guys are getting through this game so fast though.  I'm only part way through act 2, and I took a day off to play even. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2012, 11:23:32 am »

I have legendary pants made out of the skins of plague victims!  And a black mushroom that doesn't seem to do anything, but is "Account bound".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 18, 2012, 11:27:05 am »

Nice!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 18, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »

Black mushroom is fairly easy to get. The others? Not so much. Probably run about 40 times for the Gemstone, but no dice so far. Nor have I gotten the Bell, which is 100k, or the Rainbow Fluid.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:09 pm »

I'm sickly dissepointed of this game.

The always online DRM makes my game lag so bad i lost a redicules number of hardcore heros to it. And it wont allow me to play the game while i'm in the army, becouse there is no internet there.

and when i can at least play the game i find it so dumbd down and shallow that im bored of it. whats with the linear skill and stats progression? and wtf is the idea with the limited number of skill slots and where the hell did the game designers imagend me stop to change my skills?

I'm way more dissepointed from what this game could have been and its not then the fact i spent 60 euro on that peice of junk.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 98