Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111259 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:10 am »

Witch Doctor seems to be EZ-mode. They've taken most of the management out of it as a pet class.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:57 am »

I had a wake-up call on my Witch Doc for the first 2 act bosses. Had I known how to prepare I could have done better I think, but going in blind was... interesting.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:58 pm »

The ranged classes seem a bit EZ mode from what I've seen.

I seem to die alot on my barb due to not concentrating at the pools of acid/fire the annoying mobs put down. Plus those suicide acid bomb mobs in Act 3 :(

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »

in my exp Barb should focus on regen gear. It really helps a lot.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »

in my exp Barb should focus on regen gear. It really helps a lot.

Aye I got quite a few yellow items which give me about 8 HP per second plus I use the passive skill that gives me 3% of damage dealt as HP and it seems to have improved.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 16, 2012, 12:42:36 pm »

Can we please just concentrate on the gameplay in this thread? I really don't care to read about all this shit.
Then...  don't read it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:23 pm »

Diablo 3 is a singleplayer/co op game with a cash shop.
That requires a always on connection to prevent item duping.
I don't know if I'd say it "requires" it.

I had plenty of fun with Diablo 2 without ever buying/selling/trading items with random strangers through any auction house.  My friends and I would fire up a game, play through it on the hardest difficulties and get items we needed without ever having to connect to Battlenet.  When we got bored, we'd make alternate characters to try other skills.  D3 has taken away much of what made D2 fun for us.  Not only that, they took away a major part of the Blizzard gaming history of mods.  I mean, the whole genre of Tower Defense games were rooted in mods to Warcraft.

D3 is clearly focused on the RMAH.  There's no denying it.  The crafting items are "tiered" so they can be sold off on the AH to getentice people to use it.  They'll push in patches to hinder players abilities to farm items making the prices go up.  They'll call it "balance" and they'll start to make it harder and harder to get certain stats that make the game fun in order to drive the price up on items marked with "of the blah" that will be required to complete/compete at the higher levels.

Feel free to bookmark this for later reference.

I love a little conjecture.

Can we please just concentrate on the gameplay in this thread? I really don't care to read about all this shit.

Click click click click. Okay, all the gameplay elements have now been discussed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 16, 2012, 01:12:27 pm »

If there were something about game play that was truly worth discussing, we'd be discussing it. But "click, click, click" pretty much sums it up.

When people are in higher difficulties is when they're actually going to have something meaningful to say.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 16, 2012, 02:36:20 pm »

So i went through the first act, i haven't played the beta so this is a fresh experience, and i must say it was fairly entertaining. At some point i had lag, which is annoying when playing solo, but it was on my end, i have high ping sometimes (probably because of one of my roomates).

It wasn't really challenging, as everyone said, except a couple tense situations with elite mobs but i never died (playing as wizard).

The way you have to choose spells by slot is interesting, it forces you to find what works best for you, without ever allowing the possibility of being gimped because you chose the wrong skills/stats. One could think that it's "dumbed down" but i would disagree, i think it's actually an interesting design. You still get to specialize your stats, anyway, but through gear, which can be switched.

I haven't used the blacksmith so far, since all my gear is already better, but i trained him anyway, i had nothing better to spend my money on (npc merchants seem useless so far, i never even needed item repairs yet).

Can't wait to unlock more spells to play with, i think i'll go back to it now, i just took a break after Act1 but i'm ready for more :)

Oh and just a quick footnote, i also tried Path of the exile recently, which got me bored almost instantly. I was pretty hyped up for both but only Diablo3 lived up to it. Though to be fair, Path of the exile is still in beta, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:37:53 pm by Sirian »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 16, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »

Path of Exile isn't throwing $100 million worth of art assets at you. (Which, truly, I think is D3's biggest and only undeniable strength.)

Mechanically, I think PoE is the better game. Your build pretty much ends at ~45 in Diablo 3, and from there on it's PURELY gear-based upgrades. It's not even really a "build" so much as it's which hole you want the pegs to be in at the moment.

The more I think of it, the more I think Diablo 3 is to ARPGs what Skyrim has been to openworld RPGs.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:02:22 pm by nenjin »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 16, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »

Regarding skill-by-slot, if I'm reading the post right, you haven't found Elective mode, yet. The final option under gameplay in the options menu is Elective mode, which lets you put (almost) any skill in (almost) any slot. There are some sanity restrictions, like long-cooldown buffs can't be mapped to the left mouse button... but yeah.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 16, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »

Regarding skill-by-slot, if I'm reading the post right, you haven't found Elective mode, yet. The final option under gameplay in the options menu is Elective mode, which lets you put (almost) any skill in (almost) any slot. There are some sanity restrictions, like long-cooldown buffs can't be mapped to the left mouse button... but yeah.

Oh wow ok i didnt know that. In fact i've been talking out of my ass, since i'm apparently far from finished with Act1 (i beat the Skeleton king, but that doesn't seem to be the end of Act 1, despite the short cinematic. Right ?). However the difficulty ramped up pretty good right after that, with the goatmen and beasts and living trees.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 16, 2012, 04:03:28 pm »

Aye there's 1 or 2 more bosses. I can't remember if there was another big boss before the end boss in Act 1.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 16, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »

I just feel like saying that Error 37 currently holds the record for "Fastest appearing Meme ever".
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 16, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »

I just feel like saying that Error 37 currently holds the record for "Fastest appearing Meme ever".

I think it says more about the meme-iness of Blizzard fans than it does about the thing that caused the meme itself. Pretty much whenever any statement in the Blizz fanbase goes into the echo box, it comes out the other side as a meme.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 98