Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111198 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #405 on: May 17, 2012, 03:10:14 am »

I'm just going to say it.  People shouldn't buy this game, and reward Blizzard's anti-consumer bullshit.  Even if you think the resulting issues are minor, that doesn't change how flagrantly bad faith these business policies are on principle.  If they can set these terms and still be successful, other companies will think that they can get away with it, too.  I want to see this title crash and burn.  Desperately.

Shame you won't ever see it crash and burn because it's actually an incredibly good game.

With a story SOOO absolutely terrible it is actually outright hillarious. Doubly so if you actually know the story of d1 and d2 indepth.

If there is one thing Blizzard absolutely cannot do it is keeping up a coherant story between games. Starcraft continuous story is basically their shining beacon and they only had two games.

I mean WOW is D3s story terrible... It enters fanfiction terrible at several points to the extent where if you were to tell someone the story of D3 and say it was fanfiction they might start laughing outloud.

The other thing Diablo seems to love to do with its sequels is make the previous game superfluous. There is upping the ante and then there is completely negating the previous game. D3 is the absolute master at tactlessly negating the previous games.

So really pay attention to the story.

Best example... here is a quote

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In one line they negated d1 and d2. This is ignoring the pages and pages of rewrites they had to do to make the story even possible.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:13:46 am by Neonivek »

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 17, 2012, 03:19:52 am »

If there is one thing Blizzard absolutely cannot do it is keeping up a coherant story between games. Starcraft continuous story is basically their shining beacon and they only had two games.

I don't know about this, all I could say about SC2:WoL story was that the characters were two dimensional and bland, and so was the story, most of the dialogues were very very banal, I've never seen that in a game, only in very poor movies. That's the reason I didn't even finish the campaign.

More on topic: I was thinking of buying D3, because I wanted to see how the story goes, but now I think my money could be wasted on something better.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2012, 03:22:23 am »

With a story SOOO absolutely terrible it is actually outright hillarious. Doubly so if you actually know the story of d1 and d2 indepth.

Story?
Me and two friends has been playing this in LAN(towards internet ofc) and the moment a dialogue box comes up we spam space(skip) and keep slaughtering things.
lvl 51 and act 1 hell now.

Play it for multiplayer, because SP probably ain't very fun. But then, same thing for diablo 2

More on topic: I was thinking of buying D3, because I wanted to see how the story goes, but now I think my money could be wasted on something better.
Play it for slaughterfest, items searching and multiplayer. If this does not please you, do not buy it.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2012, 03:29:03 am »

Play it for slaughterfest, items searching and multiplayer. If this does not please you, do not buy it.

Hence my decision not to buy it. Thanks for advice.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2012, 03:32:45 am »

Hence my decision not to buy it. Thanks for advice.

How to be satisfied with your money: Take it and get a colonoscopy instead. Not like you'd be getting a different experience if you went and bought D3.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:35:39 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2012, 03:59:44 am »

My friends were surprised that I even paid attention to the totally horrible story in the game. They even went as far as to call me out that even paying attention to the story was against the point of Diablo 3.

So there even more proof of how terrible the story of diablo 3 is. People say it is SOOO bad that you are meant to ignore it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:23 am »

Well, one man's terrible fanfiction is another man's stunning epic.

That said, it really wouldn't surprise me, for two reasons. Firstly, it's a hack n slash game, and in this case an unabashedly multiplayer hack n slash game. It's hard to get much less story-oriented than that.

Secondly, I found D2's story pretty bad in typical Blizzard fashion, and didn't see any reason they'd have gotten better with time. I'd honestly probably be more surprised if D3's wasn't bad enough to claim never happened and move on.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:48 am »

Yes but you forget IronyOwl... Diablo 1s story was actually very good.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:58 am »

Diablo 1. Hahahahahahaha.

Seriously you don't play diablo for the story. It's an over exaggerated, basic, and silly good vs evil story. You play diablo to smash shit and get better items. Seriously on a board full of rouge like players I expect less people to hate this type of thing, considering that's what most rouge likes are. The best ones usually even being: Go and get an item. That's the whole story. Me personally and most of my friends have found his game to be better then expected and talked about. I was hoping it wouldn't actually be as bad as all the whiners had stated. And it isn't.

The main problem is also people are comparing this game to a super patche and super polished expansion version of d2. D2 started out as a pile of shit compared to what it is now today. This game has a disgusting amount of potential down the road to get way better

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #414 on: May 17, 2012, 04:57:13 am »

In other news:

I tried out the witch doctor today. Holy crap is that a fun class. I mean my main attack is THROWING A JAR OF SPIDERS AT PEOPLE.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 17, 2012, 05:03:17 am »

It's an over exaggerated, basic, and silly good vs evil story

Basic isn't bad at all. Suikeoden 2 (one of the best RPGs of all time) has a basic story. Also what is exaggerated? Do you mean the voice acting that become very iconic to the game?

Good has very little to do with the actual story of the first game after the fight between the angels and demons which is a manual only story segment. So I am not sure what you are talking about since it had nothing to do with D1. The story type is "Good Vs. Evil", get your steriotypes correct. It is "Knight vs the devil" which is about the corruption of the hero.

As well it wasn't all that silly except for a few things here and there that were meant to be silly (Like the Imp quest). It was also a very vivid story and the execution brought it to life.

In otherwords D1s story felt like a story and not a series of excuses. Even the monster bios were deeply interesting and MUCH more so then the next games. In fact the D1 story was soo tight they had to rewrite several large portions of the story in d2 and d3 and manages to create HUUUGE gaping plotholes.

Ohh goodness the plotholes... D3 you are clearly the master at creating plotholes.

D2 started out as a pile of shit compared to what it is now today

D2 added two classes, charms, rune, Magic Gems, and a few extra items as well as a final act of which only 1/4th was any good as well as a new final boss inferior to the old one. The Expansion did a bit of refinement but lets not stretch the truth here. The expansion did not reinvent the game.

As well Vherid one of the largest reasons why D3 is weak right now is they had to reinvent the game quite a few times and it shows. Such as in the rune system.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:07:31 am by Neonivek »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2012, 05:24:44 am »

Like with Fallout 3, there should be a "Diablo 3 - Stupidity Discussion" and "Diablo 3 - Gameplay Discussion".

I just want to hear what other people are doing in the game and what's cool about it. Not how the game sucks and how I am a stupid sheeple who enables big companies to ruin everything because I bought it.

And no, the solution isn't me stopping to read the thread, because I do want to hear people talk about it, not just the age-old "Blizzard ruined Diablo" complaints.

EDIT: Okay, this sounds like I just don't want to hear anything bad about the game, but mostly what annoys me is people that vowed to never buy the game bashing on it for pages on end.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:32:51 am by LASD »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 17, 2012, 05:32:50 am »

Like with Fallout 3, there should be a "Diablo 3 - Stupidity Discussion" and "Diablo 3 - Gameplay Discussion".

I just want to hear what other people are doing in the game and what's cool about it. Not how the game sucks and how I am a stupid sheeple who enables big companies to ruin everything because I bought it.

And no, the solution isn't me stopping to read the thread, because I do want to hear people talk about it, not just the age-old "Blizzard ruined Diablo" complaining.

EDIT: Okay, this sounds like I just don't want to hear anything bad about the game, but mostly what annoys me is people that haven't played the game bashing on it for pages on end.

+1

Anyway, I just finished nightmare with a wizard and damn are is it hard with that squishy! Theorycrafting might just be a big deal in this game as we all bash on inferno.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 17, 2012, 05:33:17 am »

The problem is that Diablo 3 is sort of a game that doesn't try to blow you away with excitement and wonder. It is why it is easier to focus on its negative points then its possitives.

Because its flaws are glimmering and its assets are dull. It is like a large collection of decent points that somehow boil over to good and yet you have trouble thinking of aspects of the game you really loved.

Also I wouldn't split Diablo 3 into a "Gameplay discussion" hoping you can get away from people complaining. There are PLENTY of things there I can tell you that. Especially when you factor in when the game outright hides important information from you which was likely an attempt to make the guide more attractive.

"Okay, this sounds like I just don't want to hear anything bad about the game, but mostly what annoys me is people that haven't played the game bashing on it for pages on end"

Played it, do you want my gameplay criticisms? Because honestly the MOST fun I had playing Diablo 3 was laughing at its terrible story. It litterally is the highlight of the entire game. That IS me talking about the Gameplay.

Litterally the gameplay of Diablo 3 was enhanced because I knew when I went back to town something dumb would happen.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:37:11 am by Neonivek »

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 17, 2012, 05:35:52 am »

And no, the solution isn't me stopping to read the thread, because I do want to hear people talk about it, not just the age-old "Blizzard ruined Diablo" complaints.

EDIT: Okay, this sounds like I just don't want to hear anything bad about the game, but mostly what annoys me is people that vowed to never buy the game bashing on it for pages on end.

Agreed, it's boring. Like I've said it's like me going into every thread and saying how I'm not gonna play it because x, y and z.

Just got onto Act 4 myself. Won't be playing until tomorrow night now! Loving the barbarian so much with my sword and shield.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 98