Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40356 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora Multiplayer: Inter-forums Jihad. In Space!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »

Checking using the other race, your emissions are what is displayed on your summary. I guess they are that way because of the shocking amount of Infrastructures I had to SM on Titan.

Ought to panic the other race nicely, then!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 05:08:19 pm »

I also added a map. Jupiter is indeed across the central solar system.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 05:09:53 pm »

I also added a map. Jupiter is indeed across the central solar system.

Is planet and moon movement on? Asteroids?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »

Planet and Moon yes, Asteroid no.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

Alright, then for now I suggest we avoid trying to survey Jupiter. Loading up a game myself has Jupiter and Saturn in the same positions, so assuming that holds true for the other planets as well Uranus and Neptune should be in line with Saturn, at least. I suggest we have the Mosul start by surveying the other moons of Saturn, then Saturn, then move on to Uranus and finally Neptune. After that it can return, since Pluto is also opposite the system for us. I don't think we need to build another survey ship yet.

Jupiter should rotate around to us in, oh, a decade or so; within a few years we should be able to survey it without needing to skirt around the inner system. If they're using orbital refinery ships we can destroy or capture them once it gets closer.

Since we know there's a population on Mercury, should we send them a message?

For our military construction, I suggest we focus on gunboats for the time being. I'm not too fond of meson armed ships, but the speed of the gunboats makes them much more practical; unlike fighters, they can also be maintained indefinitely in orbit. On a closer look it appears we lack maintenance facilities, so we'll also want to build enough for our ships (70, I think) before they start breaking down.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:30:37 pm by Bremen »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

Just for records, you're totally right about planet positions.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »

Just for records, you're totally right about planet positions.

Are we supposed to not have maintenance facilities?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »

No, I already edited that in-game. Didn't update the screenshot. You got 70, enough to maintain your CV.

Thranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »

Is there any way we can get a read on the thickness atmosphere surrounding of Mercury basically I would like to know if it is to thick for lasers or other non meson (mesons and microwaves are the only energy weapons that cannot target populations unprotected by atmospheres) energy weapons to penetrate.

Edit: Also are Mars and Earth piles of reactive slag or are they colonizable worlds?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:27:05 pm by Thranx »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »

Is there any way we can get a read on the thickness atmosphere surrounding of Mercury basically I would like to know if it is to thick for lasers or other non meson (mesons and microwaves are the only energy weapons that cannot target populations unprotected by atmospheres) energy weapons to penetrate.

Mesons can't target a population or installations, though they can blow up PDCs. Not sure about microwaves.

I think the only ways to bombard a planet with an atmosphere as thick or thicker than Earth's is with missiles.

Thranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 07:39:53 pm »

Mesons can't target a population or installations, though they can blow up PDCs. Not sure about microwaves.

I think the only ways to bombard a planet with an atmosphere as thick or thicker than Earth's is with missiles.

True I was asking if Mercury's atmosphere is thinner than Earths.

Anyway I was wondering if you think it worth the possible provocation and the probable loss of a gunboat to put as many espionage teams into a GB as can fit and then send in on a suicide mission to drop the teams off on Mercury so we can begin gathering intel as soon as possible.

Also I think that we should have a standing policy that we destroy any ship that approaches Saturn in order prevent the infidels from infiltrating our haven of righteousness and stealing our technologies and learning to much about our ships and culture.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

Just posting to say that I'm here and watching!

Not sure about any advice or opinions yet :)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 07:56:05 pm »

Well, lets see, I think what we need is votes!

For our first vote, I think we should decide on what our relationship with the infidels should be like:

A) Aggressive: Actively shoot at any ship that we can; use the gunboats to chase down survey ships and the like. Keep plans for a strike on Mercury in mind if the opportunity presents itself.
B) Defensive: Don't fire at every opportunity, but give away nothing. If an enemy civilian ship comes into range, warn them off and fire if they continue to approach. Treat any advance on our territories as hostile.
C) Friendly: Try to establish communications and share the solar system peacefully. Don't shoot at them, but maybe ask them politely to stay out of our territory.

Yeah.. I don't think C is going to win. Basically it boils down to hot war or cold war.

Thranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 08:06:34 pm »

I vote for (B) but feel that we should take the risk of attempting to drop espionage teems on Mercury.
At this point I feel that it is unwise start a war against a complete unknown with out first gathering intelligence
Thus I support attempting to deploy a GB (I recommend a scout as the active sensors will give us numbers of ships and ground-troop strength) to attempt to deploy an espionage team to Mercury. It will probably result in the loss of the GB but it will be a sacrifice well worth it if we can get ahold of some of their tech and ship designs.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 08:14:55 pm »

I vote for (B) but feel that we should take the risk of attempting to drop espionage teems on Mercury.
At this point I feel that it is unwise start a war against a complete unknown with out first gathering intelligence
Thus I support attempting to deploy a GB (I recommend a scout as the active sensors will give us numbers of ships and ground-troop strength) to attempt to deploy an espionage team to Mercury. It will probably result in the loss of the GB but it will be a sacrifice well worth it if we can get ahold of some of their tech and ship designs.

I've been trying to think of ways to drop an espionage team, as well. I doubt a single gunboat could get into mercury orbit without being destroyed if they thought it was hostile, and we'd lose the espionage team. We might not even have the agents for one espionage team right now. We could try sending a peace envoy ship and see if they fall for it :P

Alternately, if Earth is now habitable, we could drop an espionage team on it and hope they colonize it eventually.

Questions for Sheb:

Are inexperienced fleet penalties on? (If so, maybe we could penetrate Mercury's space with a gunboat. But probably not, since they'd pick it up on deep space tracking at several million km)
How about Geosurvey teams?
Are Earth and Mars habitable?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30