Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484576 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some mod devs nest their mods in a root folder. Ckan does not do this. It's also not great. Just manually place all your mods in.
And this kinda thing is exactly why I spent so much time not using Nexus Mod Manager. Better to know how to do shit yourself.

Nexus is okay for most things but doesn't do skin or skeleton replacements well. Rather, the games don't take that sort of thing well. Most everything else works as intended. You still need to read directions on most Elder Scrolls mods. CKAN would work a bit better if it wasn't so simple in how it figures out versions. What it should do is completely delete a prior version. It should also be able to read a few folders deep. Devs do change folder structure and remove elements as well as adding them or renaming them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Of course people should know how to install mods themselves, but when one has 25 mods and just wants to start up a game and play, it's nice to just click a few buttons and have it all happen automatically.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Yeah. This is my first time using CKAN. I've manually installed for years, but I just didn't feel like hunting down all the mods online and downloading/extracting/installing all of them, mostly because I didn't want to spend the time to do it. But fucking around with CKAN probably took as much time as doing it manually would've, so probably not something I'm going to use again.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Hm, I'm looking for mod recommendations for KSP. I haven't played it in a year and I never really left Kerbin and its moons, so extra difficulty is eh. Just looking for fun stuff like more parts, maybe an easy atmospheric overhaul, etc.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

USI. All of it.

Or at least everything you'll like. USI-LS makes the game harder, the rest do not.

Near Future's overall good.

Kerbal Engineer Redux is required.

MechJeb is very good and don't take no shit from people who say it's cheating. It ain't.

Universal Storage is a very nice mod.

If you get UKS, get Extraplanetary Launchpads as well, and delete all of the parts from it except the mallet and survey stake.

Infernal Robotics is fun.

Outer Planets Mod is very nice. I haven't been to any of them yet, but the fact that they're there is great.

dv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hm, I'm looking for mod recommendations for KSP. I haven't played it in a year and I never really left Kerbin and its moons, so extra difficulty is eh. Just looking for fun stuff like more parts, maybe an easy atmospheric overhaul, etc.
Kerbal Engineer Redux -- shows important ship and orbit information
Transfer Window Planner -- tells you when and how to do interplanetary transfers
NavHud -- projects the navball onto the whole screen for more precise navigation
EasyBoard -- makes EVA boarding a toggle
Stock Bug Fix Modules & StockPlus -- bugfixes etc

Minimum Ambient Lighting -- what it says
Scatterer -- adds fog, ocean shaders, terrain shadows, etc
Distant Object Enhancement -- mostly dims the stars when you're looking at the sun/planets
PlanetShine -- lights up your ship with sunlight reflected from bodies

Kerbal Attachment System -- connect ships with winches, harpoons and magnets
Kerbal Inventory System -- gives kerbals inventories. Enables ad-hoc building
RasterPropMonitor -- puts cool monitors into the ship internals
Procedural Parts -- create your own fuel tanks
Procedural Fairings -- and fairings

Maybe a life support mod. There are a bunch. Snacks is the most forgiving, TAC life support the least

Infernal robotics adds moving parts. Haven't tried it yet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I'd say Kerbalism's a bit less forgiving than TAC, though since Kerbalism includes support for TAC the combination of the two is probably the least forgiving available.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ignore those life support fools. They are not for you. At least not yet.

It's been a year? Refueling off Kerbin is now a thing. Use something like Extraplanetary Launchpads. Make ships that are already in space.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wasn't TAC discontinued?

None of the other life support mods ever did exactly what I wanted -- either they included extra features that I wasn't interested in, or they didn't include enough detail to be interesting.

I haven't played since 1.1 I think, waiting for the stock Remote-Tech like features and hopefully a new version of RT its self that improves upon them.  I really liked the comm lag and maneuver planning computer.

Using that maneuver calculator to execute a vacuum landing on thrusters was a real achievement.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Pretty much all that I'd recommend has been said here, but I'd like to add Custom Asteroids, Distant Object Enhancement, Outer Planets and Near Future to that list. Custom Asteroids overhauls the way asteroids work, Outer Planets adds Kerbol analogues for Saturn, Neptune, Uranus and Pluto/Charon, as well as associated moons for the former three. With Custom Asteroids, it livens up the rings of the Saturn analogue. Distant Object Enhancement makes it so you can see the planets in the Solar System from wherever you are, as different coloured points of light, as in real life. Near Future is one I've been playing with recently, adds a bunch of near future parts, engines and whatnot that feel like a logical progression from the endgame stock stuff.

Also, Environmental Visual Enhancements is a must, along with whatever configs for it you prefer. I've been using Stock Visual Enhancements, and it's been pretty decent. The way they did Eve in that mod is gorgeous. And I'll second Forsaken on the USI stuff, it's all great.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Yeah, I threw together a bunch of visual enhancement mods but they have as consequence that anything dropping away will draw a long, dark line over any shaders to where its shadow is :/

I'll look for the likely culprits.

For now, I've managed to get into orbit but I may cheat myself a million billion cashdollars because I remembered that I don't really find contracts very fun and else I'll be scraping together money with shitty contracts until I can afford EVA and soil samples.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:42:53 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

For now, I've managed to get into orbit but I may cheat myself a million billion cashdollars because I remembered that I don't really find contracts very fun and else I'll be scraping together money with shitty contracts until I can afford EVA and soil samples.

Yeah, I never enjoyed the campaign mode. I've always just fucked around in sandbox making my own missions and building cool shit.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I never enjoyed the campaign mode. I've always just fucked around in sandbox making my own missions and building cool shit.

There are lots of contract pack mods as well as ... hang on. There's a mod that replaces the little building that lets you trade resource x for resource y. Money for science, etc. Let me find the name of that mod.

Found it: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/131808-113-strategia-v130-2016-08-08/  Strategia gives you some goals and boosts towards those goals. It still lets you play how you want with some tradeoffs. Contract Configurator and Custom Barn Kit are needed for it. Module Manager, of course.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:00:57 pm by BigD145 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12598 on: September 17, 2016, 06:14:47 pm »

The 1.2 pre-release has been out for 5 days now, and it... actually feels like the game deserves to be called "released" now. I didn't even know I didn't feel that way before, but the new tweakables, ground bases not freaking the fuck out when you load them and parachutes opening when safe instead of as soon as their tweakable conditions are met all make it actually feel complete.

And that doesn't even get into kerbnet, which has all of Remotetech's features but the speed of light (it's even a difficulty option to make probes lose all control upon leaving the network!).

Well, okay, still needs some way to see your ship's frigging delta-V, golly, but other than that it's very good.

EDIT: Also, the new options in general are amazing. Kerbals getting experience in the field is a new difficulty option, you can set how long until missing crews respawn...

also, they fixed this shit

EDIT 2: YOU CAN TRANSFER SCIENCE BETWEEN CERTAIN PARTS (some probe cores, new science container part) WITHOUT USING A KERBAL HOly sHIT

EDIT 3: i'll stop freaking out over individual changes it's just amazing here's the full changelog
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:59:03 pm by Putnam »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12599 on: September 17, 2016, 08:51:05 pm »

here's the full changelog
Doesn't load if you aren't logged in? What bullshit is that? Could someone copy-post it please?
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 848