Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486007 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10560 on: October 17, 2014, 07:07:16 pm »

That is the funniest kerbal bug I've ever seen (not counting anything Danny does).

But, I've recently discovered that Deadly Reentry causes parachutes to break when you're moving too fast. From testing it appears to happen around when you're going faster than 300 m/s below 10000 m, with higher speeds breaking them at higher altitudes. That was probably the cause of the first two failures.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:15:00 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10561 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:19 pm »

Sweet. Squad is holding to their "Early adopters get everything KSP forever. Expansions ahoy."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: October 17, 2014, 07:35:47 pm »

INTERSTELLAR IS UPDATED NAO.

YOU CAN MAKE THINGS GO VERY ZIP-FAST.

Just make sure to delete treeloader, apparently it breaks all the things.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

Sweet. Squad is holding to their "Early adopters get everything KSP forever. Expansions ahoy."
What? Why did you expect otherwise?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: October 17, 2014, 07:50:35 pm »

What? Why did you expect otherwise?
Oh, I expected them to hold to it. Good to hear it said again with 0.90 in the works. Right at this very moment you can watch a painful playthrough of the very first released version on twitch.tv/ksptv
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:50:34 pm by BigD145 »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: October 17, 2014, 11:53:51 pm »

Got my first OKS space station into orbit, it's more straightforward than I initially thought. It should be almost fully self sufficient and capable of supporting at least 5 kerbals.  As an amusing aside: the heavy launch vehicle I built to assemble the station was so powerful that it frequently caused the launchpad to explode during liftoff.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:51 pm »

Well, I bet you can go anywhere with that.
Highly Opinionated Fool

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: October 18, 2014, 12:00:46 am »

Not with RSS I can't. It can take about 30 tonnes of payload to LEO and that's about it. Maybe if the payload was a VASIMR thruster and a whole bunch of hydrogen.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: October 18, 2014, 12:07:44 am »

Well, I hope you can get cash.
Highly Opinionated Fool

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: October 18, 2014, 12:21:18 am »

Well this is only a test game and I have the money rewards set to 1000%. It still managed to leave me with not enough funds to launch the second half of the station. A single mission to test an Ion drive in suborbital flight fixed that, but I had to use Hyperedit to remove the atmosphere because the mission height requirements don't accommodate RSS's extended atmosphere.
                        - Random human lord

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: October 18, 2014, 05:35:15 pm »

I just got Real Solar System and all of the Realism Overhaul mods.

Any part packs you guys recommend to go with it? The guy on the Real Solar System page on the KSP forums used a part pack that I want,  but I don't know what it's called.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:34:00 pm by IronTomato »

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: October 18, 2014, 05:45:40 pm »

I've had to pull NEAR (The 'easier' version of FAR) from my installs. I just can't play with it. All my rockets are sent tumbling out of control, wibble-wobbling all over the place no matter what I try to do to stabilize them. It looked pretty fun as a mod, but actual implementation was just frustration for me..so out it goes.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: October 18, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »

If you want to use FAR/NEAR then you have to lose a few bad habits you get from playing stock. Building very squat rockets and doing the standard 45 degree "gravity turn" are both good ways to lose control of your rocket. You also generally always want fins at the bottom of the rocket, even without any control surfaces they keep it pointed the right way.

Once you get used to it, it's really not that hard.
                        - Random human lord

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: October 18, 2014, 06:42:00 pm »

Yeah, I've heard those portions, and that's exactly what I was doing. Longer rockets, fins at the bottom, slow gravity turns...and then the thing starts flipping out, whee. I'll throw it back in and try again, but I have low hopes.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: October 18, 2014, 07:09:47 pm »

The thing is, there are a lot of things with a rocket's design or piloting that can cause that behaviour. What I listed is by no means a comprehensive list of everything that can go wrong. Too much thrust can cause instability, the SAS can over-correct and destabilize an otherwise perfectly viable rocket, loose joints can cause oscillations, etc.

I suggest starting with a very simple rocket. Just a pod, one or two of the long 1.25 m fuel tanks, an engine and some fins. Learn how to pilot that and then move on from there.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 848