Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485990 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10530 on: October 17, 2014, 01:54:36 am »

You could always have made him push the orbiter.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10531 on: October 17, 2014, 02:15:34 am »

That's why all my kerbal are trained in radio operations.

Last thing they do with their last breath is either stage to chutes and reentry the empty capsule with juicy science or, if that's not an option, execute plan c: trasmit everything and burn retrograde so they don't litter space.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:46 am »

I just made a horrible mistake.

When I realized my simple orbiter would not be able to get back down, and that it would run out of oxygen and the like soon, I decided to get Jeb to gather all the experiments and jetpack back to Kerbin. Soomehow, I forgot to factory in the whole "hitting-the-ground-at-high-speed-is-not-good" idea, and flaming Jeb hit the ground and went poof, along with all my science.   :(
Have you tried landing him on his head? I kid you not, they have a chance to survive if you do that.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: October 17, 2014, 06:44:11 am »

Mun Rescue Attempt #2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have 1800dV. Will it be enough to land, take off, and return to Kerbal? And if so, how would I actually land near the stranded Kerbal? Last time I spent 1500dV or so trying to align my orbit :/

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: October 17, 2014, 06:52:16 am »

To save fuel on alignment, make like a lawndart. You'll need good timing on this, but you basically need to extend your apoapsis, then slow down at apoapsis until you're on a collision trajectory, then burn to shift the orbit, as your velocity will be minimal. I suggest getting the trajectory-predicting mod so that you can see where you'll actually land as the Mun rotates under you. It's not an easy way to do it, but it's effective.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: October 17, 2014, 06:55:36 am »

I don't really want any more mods since KSP already starts up slowly enough. Also I think Jeb won't mind making a little jetpack joyride on the Mun if I overshoot. :)

And the shifting of the orbit happens at the Ap right?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: October 17, 2014, 06:58:42 am »

Yes. You save some dV if you only start inclining the orbit after you've slowed down. Ideally you'll have slowed down somewhere above the target area, just going in the wrong direction, so you'll be able to burn sideways and adjust your trajectory so you land where you need, without speeding up again.

I recommend playing with maneuver nodes to get a feel for how this will work. Accelerate to higher apo, slow down at apo, then burn sideways.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: October 17, 2014, 07:26:32 am »

I recently started playing on Hard. It can be fairly difficult, since there's no way to test a lot of the designs. I also learned that repairing the launchpad costs a gigantic amount and that VAB subassemblies can be loaded in the SPH  ::).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: October 17, 2014, 07:28:34 am »

So kids, what did we learn today?
  • Hard mode is hard
:P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: October 17, 2014, 08:29:39 am »

Spoiler: RIP IN PEACE (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: October 17, 2014, 09:20:58 am »

The original three respawn, iirc

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:44 am »

Not if it's not enabled in the difficulty options they don't.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: October 17, 2014, 09:29:16 am »

it's not for me :c

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: October 17, 2014, 09:38:19 am »

rip

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: October 17, 2014, 09:41:17 am »

I recently started playing on Hard. It can be fairly difficult, since there's no way to test a lot of the designs. I also learned that repairing the launchpad costs a gigantic amount and that VAB subassemblies can be loaded in the SPH  ::).
theres a mod that in addition to makeing your people build the rockets also lets you test them.

It costs money tho.

What mod is it...
* Aseaheru dives into the depths of the KSP forums

-edit-

Found it, it makes it even harder, and no testing...
Well, if you feel like being even worse on yourself, here you go:
Here is the evil
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:45:57 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 848