Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491080 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8190 on: February 16, 2014, 11:35:31 am »

Inspired by Macey's Dragonfly, I decide to see if I can make a jet/ion hybrid. I run into some problems, such as placing the ion engines and flame-outs. Eventually I scrap the design and start anew. And then my laptop reports charge problems crap get back to you later.
EDIT: Nothing major, though it does screw with my plans some.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:57:43 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8191 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:16 pm »

alt F12 and turn no clipping on. It's the last toggle in the list.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:19 pm »

Isn't that kinda cheaty?
Also, what problem does that solve?

Back to jets. I design a "snub jet" that has the same exploding (a couple control surfaces hit the hangar) and not-turning issues as older jets. Two perpendicular reaction wheels should solve the latter issue, and not crashing will need to solve the first. Of course, they also make it even less likely that we'll be able to lift off without driving off the end of the runway, but eh.
It should probably go wothout saying that my attempts to lift off by leaning backwards lead to lots of shrapnel in the crowd (why do they keep coming to the KASA base? We aren't inviting them). Trying to launch without touching the controls works, until I confuse the "up" and "down" controls. Most of the shrapnel lands in the ocean this time. Fish fry tomorrow. Be sure to pick out the metal bits, those are just garnishes.
Trying to launch again, but using the real up button works well until I go upside-down and crash. Jebediah survived this one, much to his surprise and mild irritation. The flight after, we took off well, and things were going swimmingly until I realized we were going sideways. Note to self: Maneuverability sucks.
The flight after that, Jebediah crashes straight into the ground. Same with the next one. His qualifications are brought into question briefly until someone brings up that we have a copy of his birth certificate on file. More crashes. A test of the eject button is attempted; as far as can be told, the fuselage ripped free from the everything from the decoupling force before smashing into the cockpit. A monodirectional decoupler was ordered and nearly installed backwards; a Post-It note warning not to press the button while the engine was engaged was put on the eject button. The intern who did so was given an icepack to deal with the sudden fall and commendations for his creativity. Also, one of the reaction wheels was removed on account of being unsightly and not helping much.
The new design showed a remarkable inability to rise as the previous one had. While the head engineer declared that this had nothing to do with the removed reaction wheel, he allowed one to be installed anyways. After much consideration, one was placed in each wing.
Jebediah reported that the new design allowed him to maneuver the craft much more effectively but made loop-de-loops more difficult and less enjoyable. He also tested the emergency eject, determining that the cockpit and wings could be recovered by such activity. He also determined that it was a lot harder to get back into the cockpit after leaving.

I try the To the Mun! training again, still having no idea what it wants me to do. I attempt a clunky set of maneuvers which leave me with no fuel and no idea what to do. I decide to just fast-forward and see if I can intersect the Mun's orbit. Somehow, this works. I try to burn retrograde to get captured, but I think I wound up burning prograde or something because I ended up on an escape trajectory with Kerbin, which is something I just had to abandon my Mun mission to investigate. I ended up in an orbit similar to Kerbin's but separate. Also, Jebediah became the first Kerbin to be stranded in interplanetary space, followed quickly by Bob trying to rescue Jebediah after a flyby failed and then Bill trying to rescue Bob. I hit Reset and retry...yup, I had my Prograde and Retrograde mixed up. I pause because holy carp I need to get going.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: February 16, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »

Isn't that kinda cheaty?
Also, what problem does that solve?

It lets you make attachment points you might not normally have when using the tiny strut, which you can rotate inside anything. I don't consider it cheating at all because any engineer should be able to mount stuff on the sides of fuel tanks with frigging glue at the very least. You can also mount more and smaller engines to the bottoms of fuel tanks (like the Russian N1) without using limited adapters. If you want "cheating" that would be the SAS. It's a magical turning device.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: February 16, 2014, 02:55:02 pm »

It's a reaction wheel :v

The torque is ridiculously high, though.

Also, as has recently been mentioned, don't bother with ion engines on any craft larger than a teeny tiny probe.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: February 16, 2014, 03:13:43 pm »

The problem with the ion engine attachment was that there wasn't anywhere the game would let me put it, unlike most things which you can just stick on the sides.

And Macey disagrees with your interpretation of ion engines, miauw.

Anyways, Munshot. I got into orbit before my last post but the tutorial isn't recognizing it. Any idea why?
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: February 16, 2014, 03:16:20 pm »

The problem with the ion engine attachment was that there wasn't anywhere the game would let me put it, unlike most things which you can just stick on the sides.

Struts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:39 pm »

Struts and those tanks you can shove on sides.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: February 16, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

Struts.
...They can be connected to parts not already connected to the ship?

those tanks you can shove on sides.
I could, but it feels a bit cludgy. Especially without anythirng to do with those tanks.

Anyone have any idea why To The Mun! Part 1 won't advance past the part where it tells me to be captured into an orbit when I already am?
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:02 pm »

Struts.
...They can be connected to parts not already connected to the ship?

Not that strut (space tape), the other strut.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: February 16, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »

Oh.

And incidentally...
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: February 16, 2014, 03:45:23 pm »

I think the built in tutorials have been untouched since .... before .21? Something like that.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48:02 pm »

magical girls are interfering with your space science, obviously

what is it that you need to learn, tell me, and i will provide you an useless tutorial free of charge

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »

You just using ions?

As fr the ninjaed thing, perhaps lower both your apoptosis and periphrasis?
Or just reset...

More ninjas!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: February 16, 2014, 04:16:26 pm »

what is it that you need to learn, tell me, and i will provide you an useless tutorial free of charge
The controls.

I think the built in tutorials have been untouched since .... before .21? Something like that.
...And?

You just using ions?
I haven't successfully flown a craft with ion engines ever.

Reset attempted. Mun orbited again. No change. Burn continued. No change. Attempted to crash into the surface of the Mun. Noticed that the thing progressed. Whee! I don't think I've ever intentionally landed a craft before. This should be fun.
Getting the orbit low is easy. Circularizing isn't something I've ever practiced...and I get it! Whoo! The first thing is over. I slowly reduce my orbit height and...suddenly things explode! I thought my periapsis was still above 2,000 meters!
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 848