Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488078 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3675 on: February 20, 2013, 07:20:52 am »

The Unity Classes are specific to being not threadsafe (MonoBehaviours, Meshes, Components, etc), but it is very possible to make multithreaded applications using Unity. The rendering portion would still all be done in the main thread though.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3676 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:39 am »

The Unity Classes are specific to being not threadsafe (MonoBehaviours, Meshes, Components, etc), but it is very possible to make multithreaded applications using Unity. The rendering portion would still all be done in the main thread though.

yeah but there isn't much in this game that doesn't pass trough unity.

I mean, both graphics update and physics updates (the part about the ship holding together, the orbiting is done by their code) which are the only heavy stuff are done by unity.

their code handles more or less:
resources
orbiting
drawing gauges and things
the manoeuvring prediction and orbital paths in general
detecting soi changes and applying them
probably drag&engine thrust forces are calculated by them and only then feed to unity (it is a guess here)

which aren't small part of the game, but doesn't look computationally intensive.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:26 am »

Of those only gauges and maneuver prediction (at a glance) wouldn't be simple to run in parallel (although maneuver prediction could possibly still be run in parallel, but only when there would be a SoI change without maneuvering), but yeah the biggest thing lag-wise is physics and gains from running those things in parallel would likely be negligible unless you had gigantic numbers of ships going, and you'd probably run out of memory first anyway (and trying to actually select anything would be impossible).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3678 on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:17 am »

Don't underestimate modern memory. I can load 65536000ish points of data and only use barely 30 mb. :P

That would be... a 256x256 map with various values, then a few more 256x256 maps, and a set of three 256x256 bmp files. You probably won't run out of memory in normal operations.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: February 20, 2013, 12:25:58 pm »

dear diary
IT'S VALL
today i have learned at least one moon is a legitimate physics object
I'M GOING TO FIRE IT AT KERBIN WITH A GIANT FUCKING ROCKET AND LAUGH LIKE A MADMAN
currently experimenting in whenever i can land a big enough rocket on it to make it deorbit and record the results

e: woo for getting excited early, i guess

i'm looking at some concrete data here and apparently if i made an impact i'm flying rockets too big for my own good

i'm going to put a refuelling-capable rocket on its equator anyway, an object with a perfect orbit must be the easiest to detect anomalies on
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:22:06 pm by LordSlowpoke »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: February 20, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »

Here is some information on de-orbiting moon's by Scott Manley. Lots of math ahead, you have been warned.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: February 20, 2013, 02:08:15 pm »

Here is some information on de-orbiting moon's by Scott Manley. Lots of math ahead, you have been warned.

Basically, you need a lot of rockets with about as much fuel to match or exceed the mass of the moon. You also need many thousands or millions of years.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:39 pm »

Basically, you need a lot of rockets with about as much fuel to match or exceed the mass of the moon. You also need many thousands or millions of years.

"millions of years" goes for using only one NERVA - which is the most efficient method, apparently.

He also said that the moons are on rails which made me a very sad kerbonaut. I could manage to bring a supertanker which has ~200k liquid fuel and oxidizer into Minmus orbit, then make a lander descend, burn, ascend, burn, repeat until supertanker is 90% depleted, use the rest of the fuel to transfer to a 100k Kerbin orbit, refuel that, place it back...

And nobody's saying that once you've got a moon rolling you can't plan manuevers for it. Speed up a craft using a slingshot? How about Gilly? Sure, that'd mess up a bit of the solar system, but it works in theory. Bonus points for crashing something into Jool and seeing if it sticks out after.

this is one of the features that'll never, ever get added, and this is why i am sad.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: February 20, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »

Newb question after not playing this in forever and getting into the demo, how do I ensure my parachutes don't disconnect soon after deploying and causing the death of the first kerbil to leave the atmosphere?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3684 on: February 20, 2013, 04:17:54 pm »

Newb question after not playing this in forever and getting into the demo, how do I ensure my parachutes don't disconnect soon after deploying and causing the death of the first kerbil to leave the atmosphere?
Put enough parachutes to handle the weight of the rocket decelerating suddenly, or reduce your vertical velocity before deployment. Like everything else, parachutes have a maximum physical strain they can handle before ripping away.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:05 pm »

If it's during reentry, let the atmospheric drag slow your command pod down before you deploy the 'chutes.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: February 20, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »

is there a drogue chute in the demo? that is designed to slow down heavy stuff before deploying the mains, but I don't know if it's there.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: February 20, 2013, 04:26:55 pm »

its not.
last i checked the demo has only one parachute, the mk 16. or atleast the equivelent
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: February 20, 2013, 04:32:23 pm »

Yeah there's only the mk16, thanks for the quick replies. Pretty sure a single parachute solved everything the last time I played, though it makes sense as my smaller rockets were fine and only the bigger ones are failing.
Caved in and finally bought the game, though, so I'll soon be working with different parachutes I suppose.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3689 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

is there a drogue chute in the demo? that is designed to slow down heavy stuff before deploying the mains, but I don't know if it's there.
No, but I think there is one in the final game. or in one of the mods I use...
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 848