Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488053 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3660 on: February 17, 2013, 03:51:11 pm »

I'm likely going to do this entire thing vanilla.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3661 on: February 17, 2013, 03:51:58 pm »

What are the lander struts for?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: February 17, 2013, 04:12:54 pm »

What are the lander struts for?
Stabilizing, I guess.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3663 on: February 17, 2013, 04:54:15 pm »

The origin of the front strut set was to catch the craft as it fell off the tiny ledge of the runway (Surprisingly deadly little spot.). The others came along in later iterations with the intent of water stabilization.

I have no idea if they do anything, I'm too afraid to press 'g'.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »

I doubt anything. Last time I used gears in the water nothing happened, probably because gears have the same CoM (confirmation?) whether they are extended or not. Try quicksaving and doing it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:42 am »

I finally sent a rescue mission to laythe and returned with my 6 kerbals who landed on the surface. Pretty crazy mission all up when you think about it. Flying to the Jool system with the lander and plane, 2 landing, re-orbits and rendezvous, sending another ship to the Jool system, rendezvous with the original ship in orbit around laythe, then flying all the way back to kerbin, capture of the ship and circuliarzation of it on a Low orbit for future reuse.

Edit: some Pictures
Rendezvous with the original mother ship in laythe orbit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Saying goodbye to Jool on the way home

Saying hello to kerbin!

The full team infront of "mockups" of the space plane and lander that landed on Laythe. On the left is Jeb in-front of his SSTO space plane. The next 3 are the pilots of the original mother ship, and the next to the pilots of the rescue mother ship. On the right are bill and bob in-front of their lander that they used to Land on and return from the surface of Laythe with.

All in all. while there was a lot of complexity to this mission, there wasn't anything particularly massive about it. Due to the fact that kerbals still require just a pod, with no lfiesupport or food, its pretty easy to send them on long trips. However given the fact I managed to send a SSTO and a Lander along with them on the first, albeit not powerful enough mothership, i'm confident that in future i could design a manned mission to Jool with whatever life support constraints imposed, but i'm not sure i could do one with 2 landers aswell, particularly with the new reentry heat and aerodynamics probably going to make such landing and ascent missions much, much harder in future.

Alternatively, setting up some sort of fuel processing base on Vall might be a good way to allow a smaller transfer craft to be used, and almost unlimited local exploration be done.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:40:12 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: February 18, 2013, 10:00:01 am »

I've seen a video with a "submarine". It took a lot of downward thrust to keep it below water, but it actually went pretty deep. You might be able to make something neutrally buoyant by modding the parts to be extremely heavy but I'm not sure.
Depending on how they implemented it.
I bet you could do something like this with a part like the airship parts but flipping it to negative buoyancy. It works very well for those.
Thanks! I've tested more stock parts and all of them float, and it seems that they float on Eve too :(. So i guess my idea to do stock exploration of Eve's oceans is out of the window :P.
I'll check the airship mod, and if everything else fails, there is hyper-edit with its "submarine" cheat.

As for the floating base, I remember rising and lowering landing gear in water doesn't do anything unfortunately, buoyancy and CoM seem to be constant.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: February 19, 2013, 03:03:46 am »

Any advice on getting the game to run better? I have a pretty decent system but get terrible speed and constant sound popping.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3668 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:54 am »

Did you drop your graphical settings down to their minimums yet? I'm not sure what out of game alterations there are other than changing the number of physics updates (which I may be mistaken about) and have no idea how to do them. Not much help but I hopefully, if correct on there being out of game changes, will prompt someone else to fill in the details :)
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:34 am »

Only slightly so, the renderer is detached from the main loo and that's it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3670 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:17 am »

I thought the renderer was just about sending instructions to the video card. o_O

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:49 am »

The graphics card can't do everything, and it can't multithread by itself unless the renderer lets it. So the renderer being multithreaded does speed up rendering with a capable graphics card.

(that, or it was some business with tessellation. Either way, the CPU still has a good deal of say in rendering.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: February 20, 2013, 02:34:20 am »

Simple answer: no.

not yet.
Magma is overrated.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: February 20, 2013, 03:32:32 am »

Im happy. For once my KSPing is getting good again.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:06 am »

KSP uses Unity and the Unity API is not thread-safe.

Because with the amount of lag it's producing, it doesn't seem to be. Either that or my processors have burned out.

What are your specs?

Also keep in mind that large rockets with many struts are going to lag badly and thats normal.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 848