Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487828 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Why care about debris?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

It's to reduce local entropy. In other words, so more crap keeps piling up in some other part of the universe.
Debris reduction is the new toilet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:55:51 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its more like.. how to get stack seperators out of your design? Whats a minimal debris producing solution to bringing payloads into orbit?

Oh, this ones more about planning where to dump your stages actually. For example, my first stage will hit kerbin. I will dump my second stage when my orbit is at about 65km (under 70km, i'll watch it go down later, it won't get caught by orbit unless you're actually watching it).

If i'm hitting the moon, My third stage is usually enough to land and my payload will be connected via docking ports (you can make these in the vehicle assembly lab by building bottom up if you want it on the nose). Now, depending on how specific I want to be, I either have seperatron rockets on the lander or I plan to have more than a tiny bit of fuel left (I like the seperatrons to be honest). I'll just head up and away and let it crash later.

Specifically for orbit

Just drop your main lifting stages while they're still being affected by the atmosphere and have a tiny stage to get your payload above the atmosphere. Separate the stage, turn the lifting stage around and just gun it so it drops into atmosphere again. You can use the cube struts to stick probes onto the sides of rockets if you need to find space.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

if you enter your orbit at low height, about 80km, and then use a light lifting stage to bring it up, then some separatron strategically placed will be enough to deorbit your debris.

for my design, I have the ascending stage and I use it fully, it brings me at about 250km, then it drops to kerbin (I make sure not to circularize the orbit) then the interplanetary stage will circularize and shoot me out of kerbin soi; at that point I don't care about it becoming a debris.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can just end the flight too.

Haven't had time to get my folks back from Jool. went to get jebs space plane back upto orbit from Laythe and dropped the gears. again. Icons on the HuD aren't really intuitive to me i guess
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:02:13 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

You can just end the flight too.

Haven't had time to get my folks back from Jool. went to get jebs space plane back upto orbit from Laythe and dropped the gears. again. Icons on the HuD aren't really intuitive to me i guess

If you want the easy way you can just go and set debris to 0 in config.
Latest version had solved that problem about debris not marked as such.

But it is just more fun to design things with the debris problem in mind. Consider that each asparagus stage on my craft drops six tanks, that is a lot of stuf on the common equatorial orbit.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

What I typically do is always aim for an orbit at 70 km. Anything I drop there is just a matter of a slight retroburn, stage, prograde burn. For higher orbits, I add small booster rockets with their own unmanned module and power and go for a simple stage-deorbit burn. With these, I've yet to clutter up my orbits with debris.

Now the runway on the other hand...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

The misaligned docking ports (in VAB) got all separated, and I have 12 bits of rocket in perfect orbit with the station I launched, and now I can't select it for targeting. I wish debris was unable to be selected as a target ;_;
I'll have to wipe my debris using the persistent debris option. I like the debris, though. It gives me a sense of accomplishment xD

Also, about triple docking ports: As long as you dock them in orbit, they work fine! :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Why do you guys like tricoupling ports anyway?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

It's more stable!

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

And more cool!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.twitch.tv/kerbalsp/b/356066834
The January 11 stream had the crew using some mods.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Which ones?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lazor, rovers, and something else...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Well it's been a while, but progress has been made.

Spoiler: Final modules (click to show/hide)

Next up, sending five refueler ships into orbit and dock. In other words, how to most efficiently get up five full orange tanks in the least amount of time..
After that, SPEHSS and Eve. Or explode horrifyingly. Either way, it'll be plagued by the frames... By Sithis, the frames! They're dying!
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 848