Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487832 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

http://de.twitch.tv/kerbalsp

from right now for around 1h the devs will talk about 0.19 and 0.20 updates and whats planed the next months...
(ended by now)

seems to be happening every monday. so next will come up sometime at the 14th probably.

Did it go in the archives?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

http://de.twitch.tv/kerbalsp

from right now for around 1h the devs will talk about 0.19 and 0.20 updates and whats planed the next months...
(ended by now)

seems to be happening every monday. so next will come up sometime at the 14th probably.

Did it go in the archives?
http://de.twitch.tv/kerbalsp/b/354937382
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

This is my newest project.

It launches with only mainsails. Not depicted are the four triple-stacked orange tanks that were crossfed into the radial ones in the image. They lasted quite a long time, and helped boost the entire thing into tha' stratosphere!

Once in space, the nearly expended tanks are jettisoned. They are barely enough to get into orbit. The entire ship weights 680 tons.

The use of the tri-couplers let me attack pretty much anything to them and still be stable. I could, say, launch up orange tanks, tri-couple them to the ship (four in total), then launch refuelers to fill them up for an easy flight to, say, Duna. Or, I could only have two boosters, then use the other tri-couplers, or even the non-tripled docks on each of the hubs to attach extra equipment. For example, right now I misjudged the amount of electricity the MechJeb pod uses. I also forgot to send up a nuclear generator, so I can send up a tiny rocket that has a bunch of nuclear generators to augment the solar panels.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

What's surprising is that you managed all that while your tricoupled docking ports were never completely connected.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

What do you mean? O_o

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note the way the docking ports are falling off the spent tanks in the last picture. When you're building a ship in the VAB, you can only connect one connection point on whatever you are placing to one other connection point, any other ones have to have a new piece connected to them (even if it's the tricoupler docking port scenario, or something similar).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Eh? It seemed like all three were connected... I'm not sure.
Still, I got all the way up, and the rockets didn't tear my ship apart :p Hopefully later booster sections will be able to tridock.
I wish multiport hub connectors were able to do radial symmetry. I can't decorate my ship if it's not symettrized :/

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

For all three to connect, you need to connect them in the proper fashion. If you are connecting two tricouplers with docking ports, here's how you do it.

1) Attach the parent tricoupler. Obviously.
2) Attach the three parent docking ports to the tricoupler, in symmetry.
3) Turn symmetry off, attach one receiving docking port, turned the right way up, to one of the parent ports.
4) Attach the receiving tricoupler to the receiving docking port, turned right way up. Don't bother if it's not oriented right yet.
5) Carefully, making sure the right part is highlighted, attach the remaining two receiving docking ports to the receiving tricoupler.
6) If the receiving and parent tricouplers aren't matched up at this point, detach the receiving tricoupler along with the one port it's attached to, and orient it correctly.
7) If there is a significant load on the connection when on the launchpad (i.e. there are tanks hanging off the connection, or a cargo payload above it), use struts to connect the two tricouplers together. This will ensure that all docking ports catch and dock when the rocket appears on the launchpad.

It's possible to set up a lot of very interesting connections with this.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Been playing a bit. My Mun colony has had some...issues. I landed a Science pod down within 200m of my initial lander, and was feeling pretty good about that. Then I accidentally hit the engines and it crashed. The Kerbals survived, so I migrated them to the main pod, which is now pretty full. I sent them a supply ship, which landed mostly ok, so I feel like they're in decent shape for now. If without a science pod to do work in.

My next plan was to get a large Rover down that could ferry kerbals around. That went poorly, as they always crashed trying to land and get righted onto the wheels.

So, rather than do something silly like make a better rover design, I'm doing this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is my MunBus, and the lander ship that I'm constructing in orbit to take it to the Mun and, in theory, get it safely to the ground. One more lander pod to add and then we'll see if all this work has been worth it.

EDIT: Last module is attached, and the MunBus is ready to go!

To the Mun and Glory! (And probably a horrible explody death). Dilroy doesn't seem to pleased about his chances.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:09:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

One of the best names I've ever heard. It reminds me of a friend of mine who had a ship orbiting for years before he realized it was manned by a "Dildorf Kerman".
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Well...that didn't go well.

One of the lander pods broke off shortly after I tried going to the Moon. I was afraid it was a bit too fragile.

Fortunately, I still have the major pieces in orbit ok. It'll take some doing, but I should be able to build a more stable transport ship to get the MunBus out to the Mun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm experimenting with modular design for a deep space craft. Each engine will have a small RCS tank attached to one side, a probe attached to the other and RCS thrusters around the fuel tank. I'll just switch them around while in space. Using this I hope to be able to assemble different landers for different moons when I finally get around to travelling to Jool.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a problem with carrying cargo on my spacecraft. Usually if its something dockable i have to put something between the docking port of my capsule and the payload, so it seems like nose mountign your payloads is very inefficient.. but then.. what? How the fuck can i do this?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Give me an idea of what you're trying to carry into orbit and i'll see if I can throw a design out
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its more like.. how to get stack seperators out of your design? Whats a minimal debris producing solution to bringing payloads into orbit?
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 848