Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185084 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Spring 315a)
« Reply #2760 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:14 am »

Aulon yl Marchis followed the bottle of wine idly as it sailed through the air in a fine arc, his eyes keeping on it until it reached the stone wall and shattered. Glass exploded into every direction, most of it joining the growing pile on the floor. Aulon was hoping some of the glass might eventually cut him open and let him die, but aside from a small wound in his shoulder where a spinning shard had passed through, nothing had happened.

He was running out of bottles, though. He'd used up all the good stuff he'd brought with him already, and had now moved to the cheap local ones that had been left in his care. Soon he'd have to think of something else to do. And besides, he wasn't the suicidal type. Life was too fun to be throw away prematurely, even if he wasn't doing that well right now.

Asate was standing silently at the door, like a bronze statue. Yesterday, Aulon had spent several hours first shouting at and then throwing things at his bodyguard. It had felt good to have a target for all his pent-up frustration and anger. Asate hadn't seemed to mind. He wondered for a few moments what kind of life was needed to turn someone into someone like him. A lifetime of war and discipline, he guessed. And yet the giant had failed to kill that merchant. He was probably doing much better than Aulon right now.

Aulon sighed, burying his head in his hands. He really needed to get home. Father would be disappointed, but he always was anyhow. He'd tried, atleast. Naturally, he'd need to think up some way to leave his 'prison' first.

He stood up and moved with wavering steps to the door. Asate followed him outside, taking up his usual position at his side. They made their way through the castle corridors, still showing signs of damage from the accidents last year. Aulon didn't know the specifics, but had heard that Taric was somehow involved. What kind of king still trusted someone after he'd tried to burn down the royal palace?

'Damnit.' Aulon muttered, hearing hurried footsteps from up ahead. He wasn't in the mood to meet anyone today - even the minor nobility had heard of his alliance with Trubaldsome. He was apparently a rebel, his lands and estates stolen by the Crown. Why was the king refusing to consider it anything else than a 'rebellion'? Erik was a narrowminded fool. The faster he could leave this place, the better.

Asate grumbled something incomprehensible, tensing visibly. Aulon looked up to face the new arrival - and froze. Terenos d'Avistral, the Black Shadow of Elbreth, stood before him, holding his head with one hand and quite obviously hung-over.

Aulon wasn't sure why he was so surprised. He'd heard the man was in the palace, and had soon realized he'd arrived here first and poisoned the king's mind against them. It still felt more real to see him in the corridor with them. Shame there was nothing he could do right now.

'Terenos.' Aulon sneered, stepping in front of the Black Shadow. 'I should've known I'd see you again.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: September 07, 2011, 10:22:31 am »

Terenos woke in poor shape. Unused to the level of alcohol he had imbibed the previous night, he had a pounding headache and stumbled from his bed. Someone was sharing it? He didn't even remember who.
No sense waking them..They can rise when they choose.

The water in his chambers was nowhere near sufficient to offer any solace from the headache or the ill feeling that was stealing over him, all it was able to do was grant a temporary reprieve. So Terenos dressed slowly and staggered into the hallway, holding his head in one hand. Muttering to himself "I'm never drinking again.."

Trying to hurry his steps to reach a river or well he could dunk himself in and drink his fill. he was somewhat surprised to run into Aulon yl Marchis stalking the hallways in a foul mood.
He probably met with the king. Bet you a ducat it didn't go well.
Terenos looked up and down the halls before replying. There were guards, not within earshot but definitely able to intercede if a struggle broke out. Of course Aulon had that hulking fellow next to him, but Terenos was armed with a rather sharp knife should things come to the worst.
Oh, and he was still too hungover for this, but still straightened himself up and offered a slight mocking bow to Aulon.

"Ah. Aulon. Of course you'd see me again. I am rather hard to kill. Unlike those crown regiments I saw your personal guard butcher, outside Miring. I suppose your oath to King Erik meant nothing. Or did 'King' Trubaldsome successfully bribe you? I imagine this behavior passes for nobility where you're from. Did you have something you wished to discuss with me?"
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: September 07, 2011, 10:43:41 am »

'Please, d'Avistral, do not treat me like some simpleton fool. We both know the truth of what happened in Miring. Your goading and insults are pointless.' Aulon said, sighing. 'But I do not particulary care either way. You've won. Perhaps Trubaldsome can make Erik see sense, but I rather doubt that.'

Aulon considered his next words carefully. He doubted he could actually influence Terenos anyhow, but he was supposed to be the king's favorite. If he could convince them he was harmless...

'In any case, I have no wish to mingle in Elbrethian business any longer. I am not this kingdom's enemy - indeed, my family could be your great ally. My actions were mistakes, and I meant no harm. There's no need to keep me here. The King will see that.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: September 07, 2011, 11:38:06 am »

Terenos laughed, even though it hurt. He was waking up, and that would likely prove to his advantage.
"Eight regiments loyal to Elbreth lie dead, due to the actions of all involved in this debacle. And I endeavored to make as many people blameless in this as I could. That amounts to you, and I. Your soldiers, though I saw them lead the charge out of Castle Miring, were edited from my report. I, as rumor must have it, declared myself regent and rode north to stop conflict with Preston and 'deliver the crown' to Trubaldsome. Hence the blame for this would lie on Trubaldsome, for attacking Elbreth soldiers, and Sir Taric, for butchering Mirish townsfolk. Even they could find a way away from any serious repercussions.

So that overwhelming urge to run, to flee to safe harbor? Ignore it. Move with confidence. You must however remain here, while the situation with Miring is sorted out. We cannot have you rushing off to rally unknown allies in their defense. And that is your obvious course. You seek influence and power, that much is obvious. A fresh new monarch, beset by a larger country? The favorite prey of those with ambition.

Better men than you have tried to buy my loyalty. It is not for sale, once gifted."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:19 pm »

spread the rumour That the Manskinner has gotten the Bloody Flux.
    seperate the Cupbearer from the rest of the camp.
    stay hidden from all but my most trusty commanders. This means. McMurray and...well just them. Let all food be tasted by the cooks from now on. In front of the Manskinner

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:22 am »

'You misunderstand me. I have no wish to 'buy your loyalty', d'Avistral.' Aulon chuckled dryly. 'And your words might be better suited to describe yourself.'

He immediately regretted the last bit. He had to learn to control himself better.

'My actions in this... disaster have not been motivated by petty ambition or some lust for power. I have done as I saw best for my family and people. I certainly did not expect your - oh, I'm sorry, Sir Taric's - insane attack on Miring. I have nothing against Elbreth and its king. I have no reason to 'rally support' behind Trubaldsome - and even if I had, why would anyone wish to support him, against the full might of King Erik? I am no threat to your kingdom.'

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:50 am »

"I'm hungover. And you're not particularly good at this. Why would anyone want to support Trubaldsome? Only you can answer that. You rode to do that very thing. And I'm reasonably certain you acted to keep him in power. And then you foolishly came here to try to smooth things over.

Keep in mind that when you say 'my family and people', that mine are well over half a year of travel away. And that I will never see them again. So the people of Elbreth, are my people. And I would never ride away from them to support someone raising up a crown in lands they had claimed.

This is me offering you a chance to explain everything. You can of course refuse. But down that path, you'll be kept here under guard until Trubaldsome is contained. And well..You wont have the ear of any King around these parts for quite some time. Your choice of course."

Terenos did his best to fix Aulon with some sort of glare. He felt however that the effect was diminished slightly by his hangover.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:00 am »

'I'm afraid Sir Taric left me no choice. I had no idea he would attack Trubaldsome, who I believed and who I still believe is a loyal vassal of King Erik, and who had just stabilized a very chaotic land for him. He laid siege upon the castle and let us know with his actions that he offered no mercy. What was I supposed to do? Ride out and join a traitor to the Crown?'

Aulon sneered.

'Look - it's clear that you know Trubaldsome had committed no crime before Taric's attack. You don't truly believe him guilty of some imaginary crime. You want my explanation? After participating in the battle of Preston - something you failed to do - I joined another vassal of King Erik in pacifying a region you had so abruptly thrown into chaos. But you know all these things already. No, I'm afraid I'm not a master of lies like yourself. So tell me, d'Avistral, what would you have me say? What lines of yours I need to spout to get out of here?'

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »

Terenos laughed. He wasn't entirely sure why people kept bringing this up. Like he'd somehow failed King Erik by his actions.
"Ah..So you are a simpleton. Perhaps this is why you have failed.

I was not a part of the battle for Preston. This is true. Because I was ensuring that Miring was occupied properly. Oh..Of course. That is my failure. I should have left it to be torn apart by bandits and lawlessness. Or rather I should have left no troops there, so that Trubaldsome could ride in and be a hero. Admittedly that would have saved lives. But I did not realize 'King' Trubaldsome was a traitor.
Perhaps I should have remained in Miring and been killed by a blade in the night? I think not.

Before Sir Taric attacked, Trubaldsome clearly intended rebellion. Seizing weapons best suited to defense.. Pikes and Longbows was it? Oh right, your troops took the pikes..Then joined Trubaldsome. Drawing vital troops away from the occupation of Preston. Expelling Elbreth soldiers from the castle. Acting, as a King. Has King Erik authorized these things? I doubt that highly. Do you know why? I was tasked by Grand Master Black, to return to Miring and ensure Trubaldsome remained loyal to the crown.

Are those the actions of someone who was loyal to the crown? Not only that, I have it on good authority the original orders were to arrest Trubaldsome. Yet the men tasked to that were cut down. Or butchering men who settled into a siege at my recommendation, to spare lives on both sides. These are the actions of a nation thinking itself besieged. So you must consider yourselves a nation.

Clearly you and Trubaldsome have no respect for King Erik, his decisions or his justice. Yet here you stand, a traitor based on all that is known, alive and free to move about this castle. I imagine Sir Taric has no such liberty, if he is even still alive.

Oh, and does Miring pay homage to King Erik? No. We are after all, 'pig-buggering sons of mange-stricken cows.'

You are correct, you're no master of lies. For a master of lies could defeat me, as I am only telling the truth. Your only recourse is the truth. And your continued protestations of innocence offend me. A nice attempt but it would work better on someone who doesn't know what I know. You're beaten. Games done. You're decent, but not good enough. I'm offering you a chance to learn, and play again, by not destroying you absolutely. Remember that I could have."

With that, Terenos casually sauntered by Aulon, confident that the man would not attempt anything. Just in case though he gripped his dagger under the guise of scratching himself.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: September 10, 2011, 12:10:27 am »

The promises I made, aren’t worth the sacrifices I make.
This particular gem of thought came to Kain on his third glass of prepared heavy Absinthe. He stared into his glass of Green Fairy in the sense of lucid drunkenness that comes with it. Instead of thinking the usual things that people drunk on Absinthe think- look at those swirly colors, why is my leg a tulip, I should send my ear to my girlfriend. Literally.- he was thinking about the chain of events that brought him to this lonesome bar in the slums of Sheepstead.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:25:12 am by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: September 10, 2011, 05:27:21 am »

Hanja's Diary, x.x.315a

No. That cannot be. They keep telling me the magnificent blue glass is a gift of god, which would only be given to their so-called orthodox followers, and they will forget these once their work is done. I never believe in such nonsense - if that is a gift, that must be a reminder that the bright one uses these as a reminder of his light to these heretics.

I suppose otherwise. The skills would probably be from somewhere down the coast. I ordered my men to fill up the holds with clams, and sail south along the coast.

Sell the cloth and buy clams. Sail one sea zone south and go to the nearest town.

Spoiler: Hanja (click to show/hide)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: September 11, 2011, 10:57:44 am »

Trubaldsome and ShootandRun

(1) as your guards form a spearwall and move towards the throne room they only stumble across the bleeding and almost dead Jarod. "A-a--aa mad man...he attacked me...argh...in the throne room. (6) HE barely manages to stay conscious apparently and several of your men break their ranks to help him....

Taricus

Still in a berserk rage you grab the corpse of one of the guards and run to the right hoping to end up somewhere near Trubaldsomes quarters.(1) As you run onwards you randomly open doors. And end up in the  guardroom. (2) Although some of the guards have left to find you, still half a dozen men (2) in various states between nakedness and fully armed are looking at you as if you were Jorgumund incarnate.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:15 am »

Kill them all!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: September 11, 2011, 11:07:15 am »

Whatever happens, do NOT try to fight the madman.

((If Jarod is unconscious, good, if he's not he'll try to look dead))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: September 11, 2011, 07:14:14 pm »

Quote from: Locanil
Find a store selling these tapestries. See how much one of them costs.
Write up first chapter of the book, "Cities and States of the Storm Coast". It will be entitled "The Aching and Groaning of a Republic". Write in a serious and neutral format. Describe Aching and write about its economy, religion, etc.

[1] You end up going to the shop selling the most expensive tapestries in town.  You unwittingly make a harsh comment about the cost of the tapestries and they physically boot you out of the shop with instructions not to return to the district, [1] dropping your hood in the process.  You are able to get back to your inn before the mob catches you, but it may not be safe to go out into town until you are ready to leave.

[5] On the bright side, you get plenty of work done trapped in your room!  You reckon you have your first chapter fully fleshed out, and are able to call several local scholars to visit you with the promise of free meals (covered by Lady Drua's expense account), who give you a great deal of information about local history.

Guidebook Progress: 3/20

Quote from: Sir Joseph
countinue trying to wiggle my way out

[2] The chief refuses to let you go, but instead brings you to the moot so that you may watch him duel the Jarl.  [4] With the business of the coming duel occupying everyone's attention, you are able to move relatively freely within the camp.  On the second night you overhear a conversation between one of McKinley's men and a cook from the other side.  [2] Unfortunately, all you overhear is that the cook was bribed to add something to Manskinner's food, but not what.

Quote from: Jormund
Use two of the standard regiments to try and build a city on Jormund's walled parcel of land.

[3-1+1] By sheet coincidence, the moot for the duel between Jarl and Chief is happening not far from your prospective wall.  You are able to attract many of the hangers-on and refugees from recent fighting across the realm to stay in the shacks and hovels your men hastily erect.

Jormundville is established, with a population of 1 taxman.  It is presently a cluster of hovels and crude shacks sheltered within the wall and clustered around a longhouse constructed for the steward, a temporary town mostly to service the ongoing moot, but it will retain some population after the event passes.

Quote from: a'Valti
Sell flax in Suul (2.5)
-request meeting with Archbishop
--Purpose of meeting: To discuss the joys of his holy order of pirates and his views on the SCTG, possibility of his funding an opposing trade guild and/or inserting someone into their ranks (IE me, given my slowly growing reputation for making the gods weep at my abuse of trade)
-Also would like to get a proper marque, in my own name...plus extra copies for other ships
--Explain the happenings of the previous captain who held the marque i posess

[4] You have to wait a few days for the meeting, during which time you sell your flax on the market.  You were originally slated to meet with one of the Archbishop's functionaries, but were shifted at the last minute into a meeting with Archbishop Thring himself.  Apparently news of your exploits is spreading.

[5] The archbishop explains that the privateer Order of St John serves a similar function to a guild in Suul, one sponsored directly by the state - of which the state receives a significant cut.  Nevertheless, Thring seems to respect your courage and is interested in your plans to oppose the SCTG through less direct means.  He will visit this again at the end of the meeting.

[4] The archbishop will grant you six copies of his letters of marque for a fee of 2 ducats/year, extended to that many ships.  He requests you register the ships to avoid confusion.

[6] The archbishop is amused by your story, though frowns at its conclusion.  The captain in question was a respected former member of the Order of St John and, whilst he is not going to raise much of an issue about it, does require [6] 3 ducats from you as a 'voluntary contribution' towards a mass held in the captain's honour.

The Archbishop reiterates his interest in a competitor to the Guild, but warns you that most of the business in Suul is actually nationalised and subject to hefty 40% tax rates.  Nevertheless, he could see his way towards contributing [3] 9 ducats towards your endeavour, contingent on a [2] rather usurious rate of 20% interest per year - to be repaid in total within 5 years.  Interest is flat, based off the principal, not compound.

The Archbishop will also want some sort of security on the bond - most likely the deeds to whatever premises you establish for your Guild headquarters.

Spoiler: Tearakudo a'Valti (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Mahtan
Go home.

You return home, where [4] Lilith is waiting for you with a cooked meal.  She isn't entirely responding to your romantic advanced, having repressed any memory of her outburst in Suul, but at least she's gotten into the habit of cooking for you.

Romantic Mini-Game Progress: 40 Zemblax!

Quote from: Manskinner
spread the rumour That the Manskinner has gotten the Bloody Flux.
    seperate the Cupbearer from the rest of the camp.
    stay hidden from all but my most trusty commanders. This means. McMurray and...well just them. Let all food be tasted by the cooks from now on. In front of the Manskinner

[6] Your rumour spreads a little too well.  Many of your kinsmen take up their tents and move well away from your tent, leaving a dangerous lack of protection against midnight assassins.  Pretending to be sick, you are unable to get out there and discipline them personally.

[4] The cupbearer is removed to a tent on the other side of the hill, kept safely away from everyone else.  His chances of recovery do not look great.

[2] The cooks enter and taste the food in front of you.  It seems they have no further intent of murdering you, as they all submit to the test as required; you cannot identify the culprit through this means.

It is the night before the fight.  This is your last chance to conceal any weapons or make any other preparations before you begin.

Quote from: Taric
Kill them all!

Taric: +1 Corpse, +1 Armour 3/3hp
Guards: +1 Weapon, +1 Armour, -2 Unprepared, 4/4hp

[3+2 vs 4, 4+2 vs 6, 2+2 vs 1, 3+2 vs 6]  You launch into a berserker rage, spinning the corpse in your hands around in a whirlwind and using it to crush the unprepared members of the guard beneath the massive slab of meat.  You are only vaguely aware of the swordstroke slashing across your side until the last remaining guard slices the corpse you are carrying in half with his sword.  He is now fully armed and prepared to face you, but alone and afraid.  You half a torso still in your hands.

Taric: 1hp, Guard: 1hp

[5+2 vs 1+2]  You beat the sword out of his hand with your half-corpse and then pummel him to death with the desecrated body of his fellow guardsman, again and again until he is nothing but a bloody mess on the floor.

[5] You're pretty wounded, but you hear a cry from the throne room.  No doubt about it, it's Trubaldsome's womanly shriek.  On the other hand, with the guards all focused on Trubaldsome you've probably got a clean break to the exits.  Vengeance or freedom; your choice.

Trubaldsome & Lightningblade: [2+1] It's pretty hard not to hear the screams of a melee being conducted by a madman wielding a corpse.  Sounds like it's coming from the guard barracks, close to the exit.  Will you pursue the sounds, or evade them?

Quote from: Hanja
Sell the cloth and buy clams. Sail one sea zone south and go to the nearest town.

You sell off the cloth for 2d and buy a shipment of clams for 0.4d. 

Sailing south of Suul, you [4] are untroubled by weather, but find no clear sign of habitation on the coast for some distance.  It is only after several leagues that you spot what appears to be a walled city by the coast.  [6] Your lookout spots the rocks in the water before it is too late and you are able to skillfully navigate through the dangerous shallows without damaging your ship.  Unfortunately you pay too much attention to the rocks and fail to account for the terrain - too late you realise the coast turns into fen and the ship becomes bogged in plant matter and mud.  Your men will take a few days to dig it out, so you take the longboat to find out why the inhabitants of the city did not bother to clear a path for ships to reach the docks.

The reason is that it is not a city.  Cities need people.  This is the shell of a city, broken by time and tide.  As your longboat approaches the settlement you can see the echoes of what glories it might have once enjoyed.  The docks were built of stone, topped with wooden planks for the most part rotted save for the rusted lumps that were the pegs that anchored them.  Ancient bronze mooring rings still sit in some of the mooring posts, sealed shut by verdigris and tarnish against time, tide and looters.  The docks have overgrown into a messy swamp, but you and your crew are able to moor your boat and proceed into the city on foot.

Like the docks, the city proper speaks of decayed glory.  Cobbled roads are flush with vegetation and in many places sunk into the ground and swollen with water.  Here and there stone buildings stand intact or ruined, the doorways bare and doors long since rotted, though occasionally the bog has spared a fragment of signpost, a cartwheel, a shovel almost perfectly preserved both handle and blade.  The wooden houses that made up most of the city are long gone, but their basements remain, mostly flooded by swampwater now.  There are the occasional marks on the stone buildings, pieces of broken stone and dark marks within those intact houses where rain never washed them away - signs of long gone fire.  In places, brass or tin still bear witness to where the heat melted them until they sealed themselves into parts of the ground and were too much trouble to dig out.

Whatever valuables might have been left in this place were looted decades ago.  The city is abandoned, and looking out on the landscape beyond you can see why.  Vast stretches are barren, covered only with the barest of grass and the occasional shrub or bush, whilst the rest seems to have eroded away into marshland.  Precious little would grow here, could grow here at all.

On the way back to the ship, you pass through the very centre of the city and the remains of an ancient palace, destroyed in some forgotten war.  The gates are made of heavy bronze and whilst broken, felled and crusted over with verdigris the lettering blazoned across both doors can still be made out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Opposite them, a statue has been erected in granite.  Time has weathered some of the features of the noble, saintly figure stood upon the pedestal, his hand raised in a perpetual blessing, but the legend on the base remains:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hanja (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:23:18 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 188