Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185067 times)

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Spring 315a)
« Reply #2790 on: September 14, 2011, 05:03:08 pm »

Jormund was happy with the progress of the town but it still was only a small shamble of houses that barely counted as a town. If he could improve the place then he might be able to make more money and improve the life of the people in the weylands. The soldiers had proved to be useful but if he could get even more then he could probably get more done.

Attempt to expand the town using the three standard regiments as well as my personal guard.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: September 17, 2011, 11:42:34 pm »

Cant belive im doing this, BUMP
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:49 am »

The King's Response to the Archbishop...

Once more, three messengers are sent with a copy of the letter. A simple act of courtesy to ensure that it will arrive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The King's Chambers, Late Spring...

(Terenos) Erik gave several nods as Terenos spoke, contemplating the advice. When all was said, he murmured a simple "I see..." before lapsing into a moment's silence. Then, setting his mug aside he continued, "As for my request, I feel that I should give you a choice..."

The King began to slowly pace before the window, hands clasped behind his back. "First, it would appear that you have gained an understanding of Preston's nobility and courts. The people have not been given reason to hate you, either, as you took no part in the battle that won the land. While the Grand Master has been working to win the people over, I feel that you may well be more suited to the job."

"However, Brighthall stands a significant threat. And it is important that we strengthen our relations with them, and assure them that, while we have annexed Preston and seek now to take Miring under our banner, we have no designs on their land. While you were gone we received word from allies to the north that Suul has been working to turn the Weylanders against us, and we have recently received a missive warning us that they may take action against us should the pagans of Miring continue to revolt. As Brighthall is an ally of Suul, such ties are important now more than ever."

The King paused, glancing to Terenos a moment before continuing: "I've other diplomats in my service, though I am uncertain of how skilled they may be. So I present you with a choice: Replace the Grand Master as regent of Preston and win the people's hearts, as you are suited to the task and I would have Knavston travel to Miring with me if possible, or embark on a diplomatic mission to Brighthall. The choice is yours, and I will provide with you any necessary funding for each as well as recompense for your service thus far in the form of land...something else I feel we should discuss."

Later...

(Kain) Erik steepled his fingers, and gave a short nod. "Very well then. As for the task..." he paused a moment, contemplating, and then continued: "As you know, for you were present, a band of raiders from the Ztah Steppes have over-stepped their bounds. I do believe the messenger we sent back was released in the Eelspine range which, with the recent loss of Sir Taric, is fully in your control. I would have you return to the mountain range and rally your forces, as well as the people of Lonemine and Stonewood, if you've the funds, and hunt these mongrels down."

"Further, I would have you hunt down the Suulian Mercenaries which attacked Stonewood. I understand that you have suspicions that Sir Taric hired them for some nefarious purpose, and so you are to get to the bottom of that as well. Under no circumstances are you to begin open aggression against Suul, however, or any of their forces. Elbrethian troops should not pass through their land unless absolutely necessary, and then only secretly."

"Should you capture either of these group's leaders, I would have them publicly executed with as large a crowd as you can muster. The people must learn that such banditry will not be tolerated."

Mahtan's Quarters...

(Mahtan 5+1) You easily craft the black powder. In fact, you have some surplus with which to use as you wish.

Elsewhere in the World...

The Weyland Highlands, Late Spring...

(Sir Jormund) The urban potential of East Weyland is such that you cannot upgrade the town further, there simply are not enough resources to sustain the level of business necessary.

(Jarl Corv 3) On the day before the duel you eat only bread. By the time the duel rolls around, you've a slight pang in your stomach but otherwise all seems well. (2+1) You cut your forearm with your axe before the crowd, and then openly challenge Keith McKinley's honor. At first, he scoffs, but the crowd jeers and his own men seem aghast. The man eventually caves, and draws his (4-1) short sword across his own forearm, wincing slightly as he does. Then the duel begins.

Jarl Corv Manskinner: +1 Weapon, +1 Armor. 3/3HP
Chieftain Keith McKinley: +1 Weapon, +1 Armor. 3/3HP

(6+2 vs 1+2) You open with a clever feint, appearing to charge forward wildly before dropping back and stepping around to the side of the Chieftain. His short sword flicks through the air where you were standing long after you've already moved, and your axe cuts deep into the back of his leg, forcing him to the ground. (McKinley: 1/3HP)

(1+2 vs 2+2) From his position on the ground, Keith stabs up violently and his short sword (?-1) cuts a bloody gash along your hip. (Manskinner: 2/3)

(5+2 vs 3+2) You ignore the injury, swinging your axe around with a quick, clean motion. You notice that McKinley's face has grown uncommonly pale, even for the people of his clan, moments before you take off his head. It sails into the crowd, landing with a sickening thud. (McKinley: 0/3HP) Your people let up a cheer, their cries of victory a dull roar in your ears as they surge forward to surround you. Donald McMurray claps you on the shoulder, grinning a gap-toothed grin.

(Sverre) You witness Keith McKinley's beheading from your vantage point atop a hill. (4) You even catch sight of a small group of McKinley's slowly trickling away from the main group one by one after the fight is over. You ride down to meet the victor as he is walking back to his tent beside a massive, scar-covered man. The Jarl seems uncommonly pale, and as you approach he collapses.

(Sir Joseph) You begin to make your way over to the Jarl as the battle ends. As you approach, you spot a rider with a standard bearing a Black Eagle approaching. And then the Jarl suddenly tumbles forward, and collapses onto the ground.

(Jarl Corv Manskinner) Donald mentions something about drinks and dealing with the newly acquired lands and people later, but you can't seem to follow his words over the incessant buzzing of the crowd. Surrounded by Donald and his eldest sons, you begin to make your way back to your tent for some much needed rest when you spot a rider coming towards you with a standard bearing a black eagle. As he approaches, the eagle gets abnormally large until darkness swallows you.
You wake up in your tent some time later, feverish and ill. Donald sits nearby, eyes dark as he watches over you. Two of his sons stand guard at the opening of the tent.

(Sverre) The large man literally scoops the Jarl up, and several people who bear an uncanny resemblance to him form up around him with weapons drawn as they rush off. Someone else runs off, shouting for a doctor.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: September 18, 2011, 12:11:05 pm »

A bitter laugh erupted from the Jarls throat. He had won, he couldn't believe it. And now he would die...sweet,sweet irony.

He called for one of the Guards outside the tent.

Bring me McKinleys son...

Bring the young McKinley in for a audience

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: September 18, 2011, 12:32:02 pm »

Get the head and my sword. I can make a run and get payment from McJohnson
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: September 18, 2011, 12:52:33 pm »

((McJohnston is dead... Also why is there not enough urban potential? By my count there should be at least one more in both parts of Weyland that I could use, but nevertheless this is my response I guess.))

Jormund was disappointed to hear that there wasn't sufficient resources for his town but if that was the case then he would simply have to invest in looking into other areas.

Use the three standard regiments plus my personal guard to search for potential resources and if one is discovered try to make it usable by our people.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:48 pm »

((I dont know that))

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: September 18, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »

Kain's face twitched into a smile before resuming a carefully constructed blankness.

"Of course, mi'lord...but may I suggest something? May I wait till summer before I go and conquer these bandits and primitives? A few things of "business" have popped up in Sheepstead that I need to take care of, before leaving my post, however briefly.
Plus summer is always a good time to go into the mountains, less chance of freak blizzards or freezing cold...But if you do not want me to wait I will leave immediately..."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Luriksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: September 18, 2011, 06:03:47 pm »

Sverre thought to him self.
"Well it seems like this is not going so well, might as well try to talk to this big fellow if I'm unable to see the Jarl."  

Since the Jarl is not in the best shape at the moment. Ask for an audience with the Jarl, if not try to get a chat with this Donald fellow, and ask if they have any need for mercenaries. If unsuccessful ask around if they now about any lords or chiefs that might need some men for hire.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: September 19, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »

Ludwig pulls the man to a nearby ally way while holding his hand at the man's mouth and a dagger at the man's throat. Saying that if he dares make a noise or move, he would slit his throat at a moments notice.

All of the above and when the danger is past try to get information from the man. If not persuade him a bit. When he gives the information kill him and run to the tavern, first thank him politely.

[2] Ludwig attempts to drag the stunned form of Vahnker into a nearby alleyway, only to find that there are none close enough for him to disappear into. Instead he drags the man awkwardly to his feet by a building and places his dagger at his throat in an attempt to keep him quiet, for whatever good that could do.
[2] A moment later a band of angry-looking criminals come marching around a corner and down the small street towards the Barking Spider, armed rather better than their already-routed colleagues. Ludwig counts [4] of them as they spot him, slowing to a halt as they see Vahnker, helpless. Ludwig speaks up, pressing the blade against the man's throat for emphasis as he stared down his allies.
"Keep moving, you fools, one wrong move and your 'boss' here dies." [5] Apparently, his gamble paid off- The crooks seem rather hesitant to endanger Vahnker's life, and mill about in confusion for a while. Finally Vahnker regains his senses slightly and says, his voice a growl, hiding his fear, "Go back 'at way, boys. Do as 'e says, eh!"
The criminals obey his order, heading back the way they came with many an uncertain glance over their shoulders.
Ludwig relaxes slightly, and Vahnker breaths a sigh of relief, although he still seems rather (understandably) tense.
[2] When he speaks, however, he doesn't seem exactly too worried.
"Well, wha's it t' be, 'en? Y'gonner let me go, or'm I goin' t' have to teach yer a lesson?"
This seems somewhat worrying... Perhaps the thug has something up his sleeve?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2800 on: September 20, 2011, 01:08:04 am »

Begin to work on a way that would keep the powder away from exploding until it is needed, and improve effectiveness in a way of greater of blast strength, and less focus on deadliness.

Basically make TNT not grenades.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11:24 pm »

Terenos sipped water from a mug, while he listened to the king. Long minutes passed while he thought about his reply.

"My King, It is likely well known that between myself and Grand Master Black, there is a growing enmity. I doubt we'll get along at any point in the near future. I am also probably well rumored to be an assassin. Which is really starting to baffle me.. I've killed only a few people, and mostly in honest combat.
I imagine Brighthall is not the threat we think it to be. They have not moved against us yet. Dispatching a diplomat would be a good idea, but one reputed to be an assassin might send the wrong message. My talents are probably best utilized in Preston. And your loyal nobility is somewhat lacking. It is hardly a choice at all.

I will go to Preston, releasing the Grand Master, to ride with you to Miring.  Theres just no other sensible option. I will make ready to leave by summers beginning."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:17:03 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:32 pm »

"I understand your plight, I came here to help and I will not disappoint, I'll be with you the whole way. You didn't pick the easiest of targets but we'll manage, OK if you want my help this is going to be how it works:

First of all I have nothing to gain from this, I can survive by myself, all I ask is you men follow me and pledge allegiance - trust me I have the resources and contacts you'll need to help your fellow people ((Hoping this will give me a personal guard by the way)). This evening some of you will go to the shore, find fishermen, anybody loyal to their brothers in arms and try to acquire a boat or three, the rest of us will get weapons.

As the sun sets we will meet up again, by boat row to port Sleen, half of us will clamber out to the shore (group 1) within the outer bailey and the others will wait for our signal (group 2), I'll try to assassinate any straggling guards from afar with my crossbow and then light a torch to signal group 2, they will then dock and try to begin moving any food they can find into the boats at the same time group 1 and myself charge the habour warehouse to distract the guards and fight them in combat ((Think dwarf fortress style whacking them with my crossbow, also I'll have my war dog - Buster  :D )). As group 2 finishes the job group 1 will falsely rout and use the other boats to escape. Some people may die but your families will be fed for weeks, and famine kept at bay, lives WILL be saved, and when we return let us pray to the old gods for the few who died to save the many."

Lead the group on the raid of the habour warehouse

[4] You and your men enter the warehouse unseen and to no alarm of the single watchmen on the street for this district. You feel like the fates may have helped you along a little this night due to the oddity that this watchmen was alone in an area where they generally are in pairs, if not in small groups. [2] Your luck ends there, however, when (after your men seize a load of [5] Naval supplies) you hear a loud and constant string of curses emanating from the back corner of the warehouse. A man carrying a bundle of sail cloth apparently tripped over a spare ship's anchor in the dark. This apparently does cause the alarm of the watchmen outside who starts blowing his alert whistle immediately. [6] The escape from the warehouse went surprisingly well, so well in fact that no one seemed to be able to shut up about it for hours. After several attempts to lose any pursuers you may have had - you have begun to notice several figures about the streets in dark cloaks. While not uncommon for streetwalkers to be covered up at night [2] these figures seem to be doing nothing at any time unless you look at them. You figure you're being watched, if not outright followed and feel that it might be best to get out of the city as soon as possible. Knowing that the port has been sacked by the good King Trubaldsome, you'll need to leave town with the goods you procured and pawn them elsewhere.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 21, 2011, 10:50:11 pm »

Excerpt from a Journal of Tearakudo A'Valti - circa Spring, 315a
Recovered from a retired Guildmaster of the Storm Coast Trading Guild in the Fall of 376a

Bits are unreadable due to age and poor storage of the journal

###ter all these weeks of roaming the sea from Va#ir to Suu# and ##ck we've finally decided on a new course. The crew and I have ###ided that we should venture inland toward Brighthall.

No maps s### to exist of the area, but se###al letters have been returned to me by caravan masters that they know the quickest ways. They assure safety of the goods by the hands of their own loyal guards. The cos## of the goods and transport with escort were not overly terrible, #ut I can assure you I won't make the ####### a ###ond time without my ### personal gua#ds if this venture goes poorly.

I have left instru###ons in letters to them that the couriers carrying b#th letter and coin are to be trusted and transported with the goods. They have a mission to carry out when they arrive in Brighthall. Should ##### be any compl###tions that appear as though they won't arrive - these men are tasked to cut the losses and return to the coast to await orders.

I plan to speak with the Suulian Archbishop soon to dis##ss matters of competition to the Storm Coast's personal guild. Should it go p#orly, I'll either be ###d or searching for # new plan.

Tearakudo A'Valti
Captain of the merchant ship Night Runner
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:02:40 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: September 22, 2011, 01:57:24 pm »

Now, losing interest in the priest for the moment, he took another sip of wine and turned to the other man.
"That... Sounds very interesting..." He glanced over at the pigeon, which was now perched on the window, peering in at Meng through the bars. Trubaldsome blinked, then went on, "Bandits, assassinations, tamed 'beasties'... All sounds very exciting indeed." He set his glass down with a clink, assessing the blind man for a moment.
"How about, perhaps, for your first... Assignment, we start with something rather simpler?"
He gestured over towards a simple, overloaded wooden bookshelf, seemingly just about bursting at the seams with scrolls, records and leather-bound ledgers. "Now, since the death of my brother Leuki, and the anarchy that followed, many... Well, most of Miring's trading partners took their business elsewhere. I want you to take a ship- Once we've replaced those destroyed in the siege- and head across the sea to renew agreements with a few of them."
He raised a brow, and wiped his brow with a handkerchief as he let that sink in, "I imagine it should be a good way to test your abilities, hm? Do you accept?"
Trubaldsome sipped impatiently from his wine as he awaited a response, glancing between the two men seated across from him.

A new light warship, the Forerunner, has been constructed in Port Sleen.

As Meng and his rabble strolled through the street though blind he could tell others were following, he wasn't sure how, just a feeling he had and after years in the wilderness this was a sense he fully trusted. As he spoke instructions to the peasants who were still following him:

"You worked well, tonight if we are to help the impoverished of Miring we must distribute these resources quickly. I want you to split into groups of 3 for safety, give them to family, friends and those in need and now I've shown my loyalty to you I feel safe telling you I'm Miring's diplomat and have in my possession a ship to sail to across the sea for a business trip, all those of you who seek a better life join me again at the port at dawn and I shall produce the papers we need to take the Forerunner out of port before the law can catch up with us."

Have the men distribute the naval supplies through the night in groups whilst keeping Buster, Percy and two well armed peasants with me, then in the morning take the forerunner out of port and set sail to the region south of Suul

Spoiler: Meng's Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:02:09 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188