Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: Simple BYOR - Night 3: No Flavor For You [2 Replacements Required!]  (Read 41538 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Simple BYOR - Day 2: Sun Down, Sun To Go? [1 Replacement Required!]
« Reply #345 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:04 am »

Sagen Sie Ihrem Professor ,Das ist doch die Hoehe!'

Can't do proper quotation marks or umlauts on my phone, so deal with it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 04, 2011, 09:23:13 am »

Say to your professor, "That is the high"

... Thank you for that missive, Webadict.  I shall treasure it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2011, 09:39:53 am »

Es ist eine idiomatische Ausdrueke!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FULL!] Simple BYOR: No Idea What You're Talking About
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »

Say to your professor, "That is the high"

... Thank you for that missive, Webadict.  I shall treasure it.
It means more like, "That is the limit!" Like, I've had it up to here. Idiomatic phrases don't directly translate very well.

Vote Count
----------------------------
Darvi - Pandarsenic,
Toaster - Ottofar, IronyOwl,
Think0028 -
Solifuge -
Vector -
Pandarsenic -
Ottofar - Solifuge, Think0028,
IronyOwl - Toaster, Vector,
NativeForeigner -

Not Voting - Darvi, NativeForeigner,

5 To Hammer. Day Ends Thursday 9 PM Central. 1 Extension Requested.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2011, 06:37:30 pm »

Well, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who questioned me on it.
And you're the only one who questioned me on needing things spelled out. This feels like another dodge.

Let me be more specific, then:  There's not much to be had in guessing the motivations of scum (Example: Nightkill target selection).  Getting the motivations of people so you can decide if they are scum is very valuable.

This is going to become an argument of mincing words, isn't it?
Then, how was that quip relevant at all? I wasn't asking about my scumteam, I was asking about me. Furthermore, if you agree that my personal motivations were very valuable, why were you so utterly reluctant to go into the slightest detail about them?

I didn't realize how much you needed me to spell it out to you.
"I didn't realize I needed to actually explain my case," plus once again refusing to explain the quip.

Since this is dripping with intent to check if voting him is safe, could you provide an example of what asking everyone's opinion in a neutral fashion would look like? Should be remarkably easy, given this quote's flagrant scumminess.

Checking for group opinion before expressing your own is scummy.  Not scummy would have been making a firm statement of your views and then asking everyone else.  You waffled all over his alignment instead of taking a stand.  Here's a non-scummy version:

Ottofar is [scum/not scum] because of [reason]. I'm curious what everyone else thinks of him, since scumhunting him is... difficult, at best.

See the difference?
I did state my views. They were not a definitive declaration of whether he was scum or not, which was why I was asking for others' opinions on him, but they were my views.

You're now trying to claim that not having a concrete opinion on whether or not someone's scum is scummy. That's pretty bad.

Oh, excuse me. It was an answer to this quote.

What hope do you have for survival?
So... that wasn't a threat, it was a plan?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 04, 2011, 07:02:29 pm »

No. I said could. As in I had the possibility to do so.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:50 pm »

To avoid a tie, unvote, vote IronyOwl. I still believe your comment about Ottofar was scummy. There's also the  fact you voted Bd for bandwagoning and promptly didn't follow up on your vote at all when he actually responded. This was prior to his death, you had no excuse for ignoring him after voting him.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 04, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »

Irony:
Well, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who questioned me on it.
And you're the only one who questioned me on needing things spelled out. This feels like another dodge.

What am I dodging, exactly?

Let me be more specific, then:  There's not much to be had in guessing the motivations of scum (Example: Nightkill target selection).  Getting the motivations of people so you can decide if they are scum is very valuable.

Then, how was that quip relevant at all? I wasn't asking about my scumteam, I was asking about me. Furthermore, if you agree that my personal motivations were very valuable, why were you so utterly reluctant to go into the slightest detail about them?

I didn't realize how much you needed me to spell it out to you.
"I didn't realize I needed to actually explain my case," plus once again refusing to explain the quip.

What quip have I not explained?  If it's about not guessing motivations, then that's crap- I have explained it.

Since this is dripping with intent to check if voting him is safe, could you provide an example of what asking everyone's opinion in a neutral fashion would look like? Should be remarkably easy, given this quote's flagrant scumminess.

Checking for group opinion before expressing your own is scummy.  Not scummy would have been making a firm statement of your views and then asking everyone else.  You waffled all over his alignment instead of taking a stand.  Here's a non-scummy version:

Ottofar is [scum/not scum] because of [reason]. I'm curious what everyone else thinks of him, since scumhunting him is... difficult, at best.

See the difference?
I did state my views. They were not a definitive declaration of whether he was scum or not, which was why I was asking for others' opinions on him, but they were my views.

You're now trying to claim that not having a concrete opinion on whether or not someone's scum is scummy. That's pretty bad.

That's bullshit and you know it.  It's fine to not have a concrete opinion of someone.  Explicitly not having one then (in the same breath, even) asking people about their opinions of said person is.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »

To avoid a tie, unvote, vote IronyOwl. I still believe your comment about Ottofar was scummy.
So you're fine with the day ending now?

There's also the  fact you voted Bd for bandwagoning and promptly didn't follow up on your vote at all when he actually responded. This was prior to his death, you had no excuse for ignoring him after voting him.
My issue was that he was bandwagoning for a reason that was no longer the case; he then gave the satisfactory answer that Otto was still active lurking, so I moved on to Darvi. Then before he could be useless enough (for him) to deal with him again, he requested a replacement. Then died.

Having to explain why you didn't explain anything.

What quip have I not explained?  If it's about not guessing motivations, then that's crap- I have explained it.
Right in there. You haven't explained it at all, other than to repeat that you shouldn't have to explain anything.

That's bullshit and you know it.  It's fine to not have a concrete opinion of someone.  Explicitly not having one then (in the same breath, even) asking people about their opinions of said person is.
I disagree that asking people their opinions to get them is scummy when there's a good reason to do so. Is asking about a massclaim scummy also?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:15 pm »

Right in there. You haven't explained it at all, other than to repeat that you shouldn't have to explain anything.
Er, no. This one:

I'm not much for guessing the motivations of scum

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FULL!] Simple BYOR: No Idea What You're Talking About
« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »

Vote Count
----------------------------
Darvi - Pandarsenic,
Toaster - Ottofar, IronyOwl,
Think0028 -
Solifuge -
Vector -
Pandarsenic -
Ottofar - Solifuge,
IronyOwl - Toaster, Vector, Think0028,
NativeForeigner -

Not Voting - Darvi, NativeForeigner,

5 To Hammer. Day Ends Thursday 9 PM Central. 1 Extension Requested.

Day Extended To Friday!

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:55 pm »

Native:
Toaster: Because I'm not sure of it yet. I want to look back and try to figure out whether or not something else is going on with Otto.

So what'd you figure out?  You're active lurking like hell.

I figured out that Greyhound is never on time.

In other words, I haven't looked back yet.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 05, 2011, 12:49:19 am »

Yes, okay.  Unvote.  Since I'm pretty sure IronyOwl is town and we've got a closing deadline (and really, really need a nightphase), I'm going to go with Toaster to keep the tie broken.

Also because I'm convinced by IronyOwl about the question-dodging.

I'd like to know why Solifuge is still riding the Ottofar vote.  I don't believe he has any reason to do so, at this point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2011, 07:18:16 pm »

I'm glad you folks made good use of your extensions!

Irony:
Having to explain why you didn't explain anything.

I honestly cannot fathom at this point what more you are looking for, other than you trying to weasel out of a lynch... which it appears you've pulled off.

Er, no. This one:

I'm not much for guessing the motivations of scum

I have explained this one.  Right here, second paragraph in your section.

I disagree that asking people their opinions to get them is scummy when there's a good reason to do so. Is asking about a massclaim scummy also?

Now you're just taking my statements completely out of context and bringing in irrelevant crap.  (And of course it isn't.)

Since another extension would probably run toward being counterproductive, I'm not going to bother.  However, let me drop my final scumlist:

Irony is obvscum
Solifuge is probably scum, because he's humping Toaster's #1 Scumtell like a madman

Ottofar is probably a survivor

Vector reads misguided townie
I still say the D1 Darvi wagon was crap, so I don't suspect him

Good luck town!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »

I honestly cannot fathom at this point what more you are looking for, other than you trying to weasel out of a lynch... which it appears you've pulled off.
-Why asking about Ottofar, after stating nonconclusive opinions on him, heavily implies that I'm scum
-Why you didn't state why you thought that way when you were pushing your case
-Why getting you to state your core reasons for thinking me scum was like pulling teeth
-Why you continue to feel you shouldn't have had to explain your reasons, beyond the simplest of terms

And others, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. Of course, these are all assuming answers more complicated than "because you're scum," "I didn't realize I needed to spell it out for you," "deal with it," and so on, which you have given.

I have explained this one.  Right here, second paragraph in your section.
Really. This?

All this does is turn "I'm not one for guessing your motivations, so here's my guess at your motivations" into "Why didn't you do that? I'm not much for guessing the motivations of your team, but if I had to say here's your motivations." It does absolutely nothing to explain why you'd bring it up at all.

Now you're just taking my statements completely out of context and bringing in irrelevant crap.  (And of course it isn't.)
Then provide said context to show how scummy I am. Trying to push it aside with vague accusations is worthless, and you should really know this from being in this position to begin with.

Since another extension would probably run toward being counterproductive, I'm not going to bother. However, let me drop my final scumlist:

Irony is obvscum
Solifuge is probably scum, because he's humping Toaster's #1 Scumtell like a madman

Ottofar is probably a survivor

Vector reads misguided townie
I still say the D1 Darvi wagon was crap, so I don't suspect him

Good luck town!
I'm not sure I agree, since we appear to be missing half the game.

Also, no read on Think? He's been here, somewhat.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28