Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is the 3D (movies. TV, etc.) 'experience' worth the added cost?

Yes, totally worth it! 3D is awesome!
- 1 (1.6%)
No, it's nothing more than a money making gimmick
- 35 (57.4%)
Can't say... I haven't seen any of it yet...
- 8 (13.1%)
It depends on the content (movie, etc.)...
- 17 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 3D: First movies, now TV's and even games; but should we really care?  (Read 2285 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile

The other day my gf and I went to see Cars 2 in 3D. It cost $25. Later I found myself wondering how much of that $25 was for the 3D... because I really can't see me paying for another 3D movie.

It works, it's cool tech, but does it really improve the experience? I've seen a few movies in 3D now (including Avatar), and my answer is 'no'. After the first 10 minutes the effect is almost completely unnoticeable.

So Bay12, is 3D the next big thing, or just a passing fad?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Honestly I think 3D is just a gimmick. I frankly don't give a shit that it looks like he's reaching out towards me, you can barely notice the 3D. Given the choice between paying a hell of alot of money for a 3D TV or a regulard one, i'll take the latter.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

I think that, given time, people will get over the gimmicky bits, and it'll be well done, like most other techniques that have been introduced.
Like subtitles, for example, look amazing when they pop off the screen using a 3d effect.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting for curiosity.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It's a gimmick. It's also very annoying to someone such as myself, who must wear glasses to be able to see the movie as anything more than a blur. But trying to watch 3D without 3D glasses also produces a blur, so I have to wear and align both pairs of glasses at the same time. Annoying.

I don't even really notice the 3D effect overall. My memories of 3D films are no different than those of 2D films, except for that I always have a sore neck after 3D films from keeping my head completely still for two hours as not to upset the balancing act that is trying to wear two pairs of glasses at once.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really don't care about 3D in movies.
Immersion has never been my problem and it doesn't add anything to the experience. Instead it's rather distracting.

On the other hand the 3DS really impressed me.
I mean it's nothing groundbreaking, but a neat little gimmick.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

In movies: if its worth doing, its worth doing well. I have not seen much of this besides a few.
In games: The 3DS is a neat technical thing and brought out a remake of Zelda OOT to show it off (among other things), but it has crap all for battery life compared to the DS Lite I have now due to it having to render everything double (or something like that), so I don't really think 3D will work very well for handhelds on long trips until batteries improve.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

3D is great and all, but if I walk by a 3DTV without the stupid glasses on (why haven't we gotten over this limitation yet!?) it sets off a huge migraine and makes me need to puke immediately. So, yeah, I'm gonna pass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

3D, glasses on or off, is one of the few experiencing that have been proven to consistently give me a headache. I hate it. I can't even enjoy it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Some movies have used the effect well. If you ever saw Megamind in 3D they have some excellent shots which really uses the 3D well. We just need directors who know when to use 3D to enhance the experience instead of just slapping another 10$ onto the price of a ticket for a few pop out shots.

Edit: And I can only really see animated movies using this. 3D makes the entire movie darker due to the glasses, so you need bright vivid colors to overcome that. Animated movies can provide that better than live action movies. Goddammit Transformers you have too many night scenes to make this work stop it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: 3D: First movies, now TV's and even games; but should we really care?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 02:04:09 am »

Three-D should be red and blue.
Thank you based dwarf.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:47 am »

Seeing what direction modern media is taking, I think the "what has better graphics" race will soon end, since there won't be space to improve left and the style and art direction of media will be more important than the quality of execution (as long as it's not, you know, shit). So I don't really care about 3D. Also, 2D art done with modern software is gorgeous.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 02:22:20 am »

I actually really like 3D. It's kinda nostalgic and cool. Buuut... I have one eye now. So while I like it I can't ever enjoy it again. Wah.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 02:23:07 am »

Seeing what direction modern media is taking, I think the "what has better graphics" race will soon end, since there won't be space to improve left and the style and art direction of media will be more important than the quality of execution (as long as it's not, you know, shit). So I don't really care about 3D. Also, 2D art done with modern software is gorgeous.

Yeah, it's starting to get sort of scary. I need a function for this: eventually, the realism of, say, a top-quality video game's graphics will be so high that the cost to model and animate that complexity will probably far outweigh any other development costs, and probably the profit generated by it. At some point, somewhere, someone will think "It's over. We've reached the peak. Any improvement is so marginal and so ridiculously expensive and time-consuming that it's not working."

But the problem here lies not within the industry. The problem lies with the consumers. Consumers want their games to have progressively nicer graphics each generation. Consumers like the buzz-cut preteen boys with backwards baseball caps who are perpetually obsessed with the newest "Call of Modern Halo 4". The games industry has created this consumer. It lies dormant in a lot of people, but the games industry awakened that inner, primal desire to progressively get more for less.

I just hope this all ends in a video game renaissance where everyone's suddenly playing, buying and selling the new 2D games for every system. Then maybe we can have fun, and stop taking games so seriously.

I can hope.

I actually really like 3D. It's kinda nostalgic and cool. Buuut... I have one eye now. So while I like it I can't ever enjoy it again. Wah.

You only have one eye? :C

I guess it could be worse. You could have one eye, and be deaf. Then you wouldn't get to hear totally radnasty music.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 02:23:40 am »

Buuut... I have one eye now.
What do you mean by that, how did it happen and why don't I know? 0_o
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.
Pages: [1] 2 3