Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do smelt native platinum  (Read 5824 times)

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
How do smelt native platinum
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:34:37 am »

I found a bunch of platinum mined and built a wood furnace and smelter... Now what?
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

DevilRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do smelt native platinum
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:38:59 am »

In order to smelt platinum, or any other metal, you first need to acquire some refined fuel; be it coke or charcoal.
Firstly, get a number of logs and queue up a few orders for the wood furnace to make charcoal.
(If you have any bituminous coal or lignite now would be a good time to refine it into coke at the smelter using the charcoal as fuel.)
Anyhow, the refined fuel can now be used at the smelter to melt down metals into bars and refine fuel.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:44:37 am »

In order to smelt platinum, or any other metal, you first need to acquire some refined fuel; be it coke or charcoal.
Firstly, get a number of logs and queue up a few orders for the wood furnace to make charcoal.
(If you have any bituminous coal or lignite now would be a good time to refine it into coke at the smelter using the charcoal as fuel.)
Anyhow, the refined fuel can now be used at the smelter to melt down metals into bars and refine fuel.

Thanks for the speedy reply but what labor option is smelting and wood burnifiying under?

DevilRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 02:47:07 am »

Wood burning is located under the Farming Section, and Furnace Operating (Smelting) is located under Metalsmithing.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:57:25 am »

Wood burning is located under the Farming Section, and Furnace Operating (Smelting) is located under Metalsmithing.

YEY thank you so much!

Taro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:08:35 am »

I love these forums. In every other gameforum, you'd be shouted at when asking a basic question. <3

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:48:47 am »

I love these forums. In every other gameforum, you'd be shouted at when asking a basic question. <3

I know right everyone on this forum is super friendly. I love it!

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:52:06 am »

I just joined these forums, and noones flamed me out yet!

Wooooo i love friendly communities.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:44 am »

If you're playing on Windows, I earnestly suggest using Dwarf Therapist for fiddling with dwarf labors.  It's much, much easier.

If you're playing on Mac...um...bootcamp?
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:20:22 am »

I play on mac with no other programs to "help" me :D
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:28:06 am »

This community isn't friendly as much as we all have private dwarf armies to take our anger out on.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:08 am »

Inventing new and horrible ways to kill 'dem elves and gobbos is a wonderful stress relief! Its like...!!heat!! therapy.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 01:37:36 pm »

The difference is that other games are intuitive enough to where you're not required to ask basic questions.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:46:36 pm »

The difference is that other games are intuitive enough to where you're not required to ask basic questions.

This. In all honesty, it took me three embarks to figure out z-levels, a few more to figure out farming, and then a good 5 or so to get the metal industry down. It's like being thrown in a nuclear reactor that is on fire and about to explode while being sieged by an army of bear riding gorillas being rode by goblins wearing steel armor, and being expected to save the nuclear reactor. Plus, all the instructions are in Chinese. People are here to help, because they went through the same struggles. In a few weeks or months you'll be face-palming when you think that you never knew these things. We've all done it  :)

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 03:44:00 am »

This. In all honesty, it took me three embarks to figure out z-levels, a few more to figure out farming, and then a good 5 or so to get the metal industry down. It's like being thrown in a nuclear reactor that is on fire and about to explode while being sieged by an army of bear riding gorillas being rode by goblins wearing steel armor, and being expected to save the nuclear reactor. Plus, all the instructions are in Chinese. People are here to help, because they went through the same struggles. In a few weeks or months you'll be face-palming when you think that you never knew these things. We've all done it  :)

I can beat that it took me 9 months of 1 fort every other day to figure out the bloody stairs!!
Pages: [1] 2