Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do smelt native platinum  (Read 5828 times)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: How do smelt native platinum
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 03:58:48 am »

I love these forums. In every other gameforum, you'd be shouted at when asking a basic question. <3

The difference is that other games are intuitive enough to where you're not required to ask basic questions.

This. In all honesty, it took me three embarks to figure out z-levels, a few more to figure out farming, and then a good 5 or so to get the metal industry down. It's like being thrown in a nuclear reactor that is on fire and about to explode while being sieged by an army of bear riding gorillas being rode by goblins wearing steel armor, and being expected to save the nuclear reactor. Plus, all the instructions are in Chinese. People are here to help, because they went through the same struggles. In a few weeks or months you'll be face-palming when you think that you never knew these things. We've all done it  :)

I can beat that it took me 9 months of 1 fort every other day to figure out the bloody stairs!!

I didn't find the stairs hard to figure out. Just the incredible architecture used that makes them only accessible one way. I like to think they just place arbitrary traffic laws about going up/down certain ones so it doesn't give me headaches.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:06 am »

I love these forums. In every other gameforum, you'd be shouted at when asking a basic question. <3

The difference is that other games are intuitive enough to where you're not required to ask basic questions.

This. In all honesty, it took me three embarks to figure out z-levels, a few more to figure out farming, and then a good 5 or so to get the metal industry down. It's like being thrown in a nuclear reactor that is on fire and about to explode while being sieged by an army of bear riding gorillas being rode by goblins wearing steel armor, and being expected to save the nuclear reactor. Plus, all the instructions are in Chinese. People are here to help, because they went through the same struggles. In a few weeks or months you'll be face-palming when you think that you never knew these things. We've all done it  :)

I can beat that it took me 9 months of 1 fort every other day to figure out the bloody stairs!!

I didn't find the stairs hard to figure out. Just the incredible architecture used that makes them only accessible one way. I like to think they just place arbitrary traffic laws about going up/down certain ones so it doesn't give me headaches.
For me it was the bloody up/down stairs. You want to hear an embarrassing story? Well one time when I was still pretty new, I decided to dig deep! I would dig a 3x3 room, channel a square out to get a ramp down to the next level, build an up stair down there, then a down stair on the level above it. I did this for every level. The micromanagement...The stupidity. It took hours just to find the first cavern which being the newb I was, mistook for the hfs. I thought I was a god among dwarves for breaching the first cavern and surviving.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 11:19:34 am »

The community is friendly because the community is part of the game. Trying to play DF without the community is like trying to play baseball with a noodle.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 [2]