Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294057 times)

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruining the fun for everybody.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10935 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »

Girilinhat, I like how every person you see that is against your opinion is automatically considered a "troll" by your majesty.

Also, I know you gave almost everything you can give to the game, still doesn't mean you have to call me a troll for being against your opinion, also, my sub-text is also the same as alot of bay12ers.

OK, now it just sounds like you either:
A, are making stuff up as you go along,
B, have a distorted view of reality,
C, genuinely hate the game but don't have sufficient reasoning why,
or D, have lying issues.

I say close this thread because it is out of the forum's topic, talking about space in "DF" General Discussion, cool.

Let people have fun. Sure, we derailed, but the topic was still about B12, and the theme of the space expedition was DF related.

I was not lying about Girlinhat calling people troll for absolutely no reason, and I often consider her/him as a non-friendly-to-new-players person.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:46 pm »

Can we please not have this devolve into a war,

This game feels much different from any other roguelike I've played.  Only even remotely similar one being rogue survivor, and even thats a far shot.  It has much more open space than most, a more ranged weapon focus, while most focus more on melee and magic, the leveling system is less become godlike with xp as the game progresses and more get a little stronger, with time but mostly rely on equipment.  I really don't see such drastic similarities, maybe if you were more specific the thread wouldn't have turned this way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:59 pm »

Anyway, I have no further interest in sparking an argument, so let's get back to cataclysm.

Does anyone know if there's an up to date executable of the game, or do I need to compile it myself?

The one at whalesdev.com is current as far as the official version goes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: July 28, 2012, 04:56:03 pm »

Oh no, I encourage people to have a difference of opinion.  Discussion is the key to improvement.  Evolution only occurs when there's an obstacle that you cannot overcome, and you must improve yourself to deal with it.

But you do not provide discussion.  You only give off-handed dismissal and then go on.  The statement "it's just like every other game" hardly holds up, mainly because it's not.  I'm not massively into the Roguelike market, but I've never played a game like Cataclysm anywhere.  It's not just running around killing zombies.  It's dealing with your HP as you get whittled down, not by one instance of death but by a dozen small fights that wear on you over time.  It's dealing with pain and with drugs, either to your advantage or to your foolish misuse.  The ideas of character upkeep are relatively rare in games - looks at the entire rest of the market of games, not just roguelikes but ANY type of game, and you'll see that almost all of them make it such that your previous fight has no major impact on your current fight.  Games are designed in such a way that the player can recover and resume brawling almost immediately, or after a short stay at an inn.  Cataclysm is rare in that it actually makes you consider what you're doing this time.  Facing a zombie isn't hard.  But you might lose 10 HP and get in minor pain.  The next fight you lose 12 HP and you're in moderate pain.  Now you're in an issue where you're either hiding and recovering, or you're using painkillers and/or stimulants.  That then gets into addiction and/or having enough drugs to handle your current pain levels.  You don't bounce back and keep on fighting.  You've got to worry.

Your move.  Please make it with less eye-rolling.

Does anyone know if there's an up to date executable of the game, or do I need to compile it myself?
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=143.0 - Official release.
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?board=6.0 - Lots of people have their modded versions.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jggbrp0s5fxmwuo/RkBK55UZ4O - I have my own modded version.

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruining the fun for everybody.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: July 28, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

This is my last post that is out of topic for now:

I never did anything, all I said was my opinion and you guys started flaming on me for my opinion.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: July 28, 2012, 04:58:14 pm »

The posts while I was typing this make this less useful, but here it is anyway.

For other zombie roguelikes there's Rogue Survivor, which is similar to Cataclysm. (I prefer Cataclysm.)
Not every game is fun for everyone. There's no need to try to defend the game to someone who doesn't like it.
Back off of Batman Wayne. He's not going to post anything constructive here, and this derail isn't going to go anywhere good.
I was not lying about Girlinhat calling people troll for absolutely no reason, and I often consider her/him as a non-friendly-to-new-players person.
Your posts have been nonconstructive and insulting. That makes you a troll. By telling people to "not feed the troll", she was only intending to prevent this derail.

The warning I find to be extremely useful. It lets you hold down a direction button or run around a forest without the fear of being instantly murdered.

Think of what you would have to do without it. It would make traveling take ten times longer, having to keep track of monsters for every step you take.
When running from a zombie horde, I keep holding down the button with safe mode off. It's not as hard as you may think, especially with the list of enemies.

Yep; it's on the downloads page.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: July 28, 2012, 05:01:41 pm »

I think you can actually turn auto safe mode off with " (quotes) if that helps anyone
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10942 on: July 28, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »

I never did anything, all I said was my opinion and you guys started flaming on me for my opinion.
Okay.

Anyways, I just realised. With Darklingwolf's mod, you can actually build tasteful and fitting long term light FIXTURES!
You start vehicle construction with frame, throw a seat, vehicle controls (perhaps there could be a workaround if someone could figure it out?), gas tank, headlamp, and then just board the vehicle, turn on the lights?
That'd work right? It'd be awesome, though if someone worked on the vehicle code a bit, and added in something that didn't require you to mount a seat and use the oh so rare controls, that'd be gold.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: July 28, 2012, 05:09:01 pm »

Aaaand it's E, you have a limited understanding of the English language and/or Internet terminology.
We are not flaming upon you. We are simply pointing out flaws in your logic, hipocrasies, and instances of failure to communicate.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: July 28, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »

Common troll tactic.  Come into thread, disagree without justification, paint yourself the victim as people point out that you made no sense.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: July 28, 2012, 05:28:24 pm »

He's causing trouble elsewhere too, so yea, Girlinhat has it spot on.  I look forward to seeing a new entry in the moderation log.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: July 28, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

Anyways, I just ate bleach and amonia to see if I would explode. I didn't...  :(
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: July 28, 2012, 05:30:52 pm »

Anyways, I just ate bleach and amonia to see if I would explode. I didn't...  :(
I performed similar.  Unfortunately, there appear to be no chemical interactions in Cataclysm.  You can even store gasoline in plastic bottles!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: July 28, 2012, 05:31:13 pm »

...That would have been cool.  Right now all I see a use for bleach and ammonia is making zombie pheromone.  Are there any other good uses for the stuff?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:22 pm »

Hey, you should all be a little more sensitive. I lost three family members to a troll when they tried crossing some bridge. And these were some gruff fellas.

On topic, what are some good character builds and tactics for the average newb? I'm slowly working things out myself, but I don't want to take two years to teach myself the basics (I'm looking at you, Dwarf Fortress!). If it'll help any, so far my playstyle has been "Loot Stores, Run Into Forests, Set Up Camp", but I rarely get past step 1.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 777