Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294625 times)

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8160 on: November 25, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

I'm not to keen on specifics, but what's the issue with porting it to windows? Isn't C++ a pretty platform independent language?

Is it some libraries that only work on linux?

Do you have to make special adjustments to build a windows version?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »

It does use some libraries, but the instructions for compiling on Windows show you the libraries.  I don't know what in specific the differences are.  I tried to just get the last Aposos code and replace the files with what Whales had updated (mapgen, iuse, etc) but I couldn't get it to compile just right.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: November 25, 2011, 11:08:46 pm »

I'm not to keen on specifics, but what's the issue with porting it to windows? Isn't C++ a pretty platform independent language?

I know at least some of the Windows-only bugs have been from some of the code having fairly ill-defined/undefined results, like variables being uninitialized or a function with an ambiguous return condition.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: November 26, 2011, 12:28:57 am »

Some info on the windows crash:

It is occurring in the void game::update_overmap_seen() function, immediately upon entering it.  It never even gets to declare the first variables.  The rest of the map seems to load fine, the data appears sound.  Maybe this has to do with the new sight range, and there being undeclared or generated underground tiles?  A return statement in one of the sight functions?  I don't know, and I'm not up enough on c++ to figure it out, but maybe better people than me can start looking in this area.

Yeah, this one stumps me.  Underground tiles are all declared (as is all data like this--undeclared data would cause big problems that would've been noticed long ago!), all the relevent functions return sane values.

The segfault I've seen crashes on a memory allocation function only used in MingW--though there may be others.  Any backtraces would be appreciated (unless they go straight from calling game::update_overmap_seen() to alloca(); I already know that one!).

If your building it yourself make clean and make without using -j. I find I get way more crashes with parallel builds for some reason (something which I don't see how is possible, I blame the lack of initialisation :P)

Does whales really not initialize variables? That sounds kind of... distressing? I don't know how often that would actually cause a problem, but it's one of the first good programming practices anybody learns in a language like C++.

I do, of course.  It's not a "good programming practice," it's a rule you follow if you don't want your program to spit out garbage or crash immediately.  I don't init variables in a couple spots, but only where it clearly doesn't matter.

Is it some libraries that only work on linux?

Do you have to make special adjustments to build a windows version?

Windows uses pdcurses, not ncurses.

There's a new "port" of the code which unifies the Windows and Linux source into the same thing, just with an extra header file for Windows compilers.  That should make everything much easier.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: November 26, 2011, 12:43:25 am »

There's a new "port" of the code which unifies the Windows and Linux source into the same thing, just with an extra header file for Windows compilers.  That should make everything much easier.
Wait, what?  So you just grab the source code and the header for your OS and compile?  That sounds remarkably easy!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:43 am »

Wait, what?  So you just grab the source code and the header for your OS and compile?  That sounds remarkably easy!

It'll just be one header, for Windows only.  I'll include it with the linux source for simplicity, and the #include can just be defined to only be used with Windows compiliers.  It should be very easy.

Of course, there's some technical issues being worked out, apparently it's still very wonky.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: November 26, 2011, 12:53:48 am »

Ah, so then Linux would compile as-is and Windows would compile with the extra header plus the #include to, well, include the header?  Or, something like that.  I think I get the idea!  But it's not working yet?  I want my megastores :<

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: November 26, 2011, 12:54:40 am »

This doesn't necessarily mean that Windows-only bugs will never exist again, just that porting won't be so much of an issue.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: November 26, 2011, 12:58:14 am »

Which is another thing in itself.  Being open-source, players are free to bugfix, and they've done so already several times.  So I fully expect the more Windows oriented people to hash out some bugfixes for the Windows bugs when possible.

More importantly, the bugs would be there either way, by relying on Aposos or getting it direct from Whales.  This just removes a link of deployment and makes it much easier to get the game at all.

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: November 26, 2011, 02:19:11 pm »

I don't know what all this means, but is this a backtrace?

#0  _alloca () at ../../../../gcc-4.4.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/i386/cygwin.asm:45
#1  0x0055e544 in game::update_overmap_seen (this=0x5ea0048) at C:\Users\akamber\Desktop\aposos-Cataclysm-f8748b1\game.cpp:5296
#2  0x0055e505 in game::update_map (this=0x5ea0048, x=@0x5ed3b38, y=@0x5ed3b3c) at C:\Users\akamber\Desktop\aposos-Cataclysm-f8748b1\game.cpp:5290
#3  0x0055d28b in game::vertical_move (this=0x5ea0048, movez=-1, force=false) at C:\Users\akamber\Desktop\aposos-Cataclysm-f8748b1\game.cpp:5152
#4  0x00539430 in game::get_input (this=0x5ea0048) at C:\Users\akamber\Desktop\aposos-Cataclysm-f8748b1\game.cpp:912
#5  0x005377b0 in game::do_turn (this=0x5ea0048) at C:\Users\akamber\Desktop\aposos-Cataclysm-f8748b1\game.cpp:613
#6  0x006d1e11 in main (argc=1, argv=0x341380) at C:\Users\akamber\Desktop\aposos-Cataclysm-f8748b1\main.cpp:36
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:41:07 pm by Gotthard »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: November 26, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »

For the record, Cataclysm does have its own forums where you can post bug reports...

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: November 26, 2011, 03:18:14 pm »

I was responding to his request for a back trace, and I want the information to have the widest audience possible.  If Whales would prefer it, I will post there instead.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: November 26, 2011, 03:27:10 pm »

Where do I get the link for the windows version?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: November 26, 2011, 03:28:21 pm »

The latest functional one is the one that Darkling Wolf posted way back in the thread, although it doesn't refresh the health display right. It doesn't have megastores though.
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: November 26, 2011, 04:03:02 pm »

Then that would also be the one with broken stairs.  There's a high chance that going through stairs causes a crash, which is fixed on Linux but isn't updated for Windows.
https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm/downloads
The latest windows version, no megastores included.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 777