Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300737 times)

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2880 on: July 24, 2011, 02:17:10 pm »

lv24 with my spears I was doing 200, but thats with an actual weapon, good strength, and more than twice your level.
I was also doing crushing attacks with a chance of instakill.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: July 24, 2011, 02:20:16 pm »

Liking your mod 13thRonin, however if you were aiming for difficulty you didn't really achieve it. Maybe when you fully implement item scarcity it might, however I'm breezing through it.

Right now I'm at day 2 with a melee focused character, and it looks like its only going to get easier from here.

While the increased spawn does keep me on my toes, without special zombies, its pretty easy if you play smart. "Play Smart" is mostly either diving through a window and beating back the hordes, or simply running away and one hitting any zombie dogs that catch up.

Just my thoughts. Its perfect as it is, if you were aiming for a mod that is just as difficult as the vanilla version.

"Edit" Dr. Weird, any combat skill is overpowered once you get it to a high enough skill level. I've seen people get far with just the throwing skill.

It's only the alpha release. I still have lots of things to do which will make it harder:

- Proper item scarcity,
- Buff zombie damage,
- Nerfing melee further to prevent window camping
etc, etc.

As it stands I think calling it 'no more difficult than vanilla' is overstatement of the century though.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: July 24, 2011, 02:32:00 pm »

Everyone, my name is spelled Dr. Wierd, not Dr. Weird.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: July 24, 2011, 02:36:40 pm »

I think the adrenaline rush trait should be a standard mechanic for every character, the trait itself could make the effect stronger than normal though. As for balance it may give you penalty for ranged combat accuracy and reloading.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: July 24, 2011, 02:37:45 pm »

I think the adrenaline rush trait should be a standard mechanic for every character, the trait itself could make the effect stronger than normal though. As for balance it may give you penalty for ranged combat accuracy and reloading.

I agree. Everyone has adrenaline after all.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: July 24, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

I do agree on like a an alarm that lasts a certain amount of time in pawn shops. Maybe it could be disabled from behind the counter, but a failure causes it to keep going for longer. The base time should be like 30 minutes, with a 5 minute cool down timer on attempts to stop it. Dont know how hard it would be to implement, but there you go. They could be like death traps if they arent looted quickly enough.

Would be pretty easy, this is pretty much want my largely-unused event system is made for.  I could even instate an automated police response of tazer-armed robots.  Even in waves until you travel to a police station and destroy or hack the computer there (or until an hour passes, or something).

Yeah, that's a bit broken for a middling lvl9 - that's lv14-18 damage targets, I'd think.

lv24 with my spears I was doing 200, but thats with an actual weapon, good strength, and more than twice your level.

Whales, does strength actuall even factor into melee damage? I've noticed almost no difference between my 16str and 4str character on that front.

Well, strength affects your base damage, before weapon or skill bonuses are applied.  But that's pretty small; see character creation.  It also determines your bashing cap--which, I just realized, may not apply to unarmed; it obviously should.
Unarmed it supposed to get highly powered at high levels, but clearly pure damage isn't the way to go.  I'll be moving it to throws (move and stun target), stunning attacks, maybe combos?  And hitting will be made more difficult against fast-moving targets.

Well, this is a strong, life-saving level of rush.  As in, 6 free moves (or more) when you need it most.  And it has drawbacks; reduced INT and a comedown period that halves your speed and reduces all stats.  I might put in a highly-nerfed version for all characters.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

But that's pretty small; see character creation.  It also determines your bashing cap--which, I just realized, may not apply to unarmed; it obviously should.
So strength is kind of useless for cutting/piercing characters? Huh, that would explain why my int build seems so much more powerful than the one I tried specifically for melee - the only stat that matters to blade combat is int!

Also, I've noticed spears do bashing, piercing, AND cutting. Is this correct, and does it do three rolls and pick the highest, or what?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: July 24, 2011, 03:59:20 pm »

But that's pretty small; see character creation.  It also determines your bashing cap--which, I just realized, may not apply to unarmed; it obviously should.
So strength is kind of useless for cutting/piercing characters? Huh, that would explain why my int build seems so much more powerful than the one I tried specifically for melee - the only stat that matters to blade combat is int!

Also, I've noticed spears do bashing, piercing, AND cutting. Is this correct, and does it do three rolls and pick the highest, or what?

For cutting/piercing weapons, strength is an important faction when checking whether your weapon gets stuck.  If you're not getting "your weapon gets stuck, but you pull it free!" messages, you can thank high strength or high cutting skill; and if your weapon is frequently pulled from your hands, a better strength might avoid it.  And dexterity's also important for blade combat, but once your skill level gets high enough, it's less so--I will change this.

Spears do a very small amount of bashing damage, to represent the blunt force of the spear jabbing them, even if you don't pierce them.  "Cutting damage" is really "piercing damage" for any spear, so they only get that once.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: July 24, 2011, 04:14:58 pm »

but I've had messages where I have slashed off heads with the spear. That doesnt seem like piercing to me.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »

but I've had messages where I have slashed off heads with the spear. That doesnt seem like piercing to me.

Maybe the spear is thicker than their neck?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2890 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »

Maybe the spear is thicker than their neck?
Or, the tip of the spear is slightly longer, and you slashed instead of stabbed?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:12 pm »

I will try your mod tomorrow morning! Great job, The13thRonin!

I will definitely increase zombie melee damage, right now I am never afraid of a hit or two. Ranged weapons will be more important.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: July 24, 2011, 04:41:33 pm »

Someone bestow upon me their knowledge.  How do you escape a horde of zombies. I get injured once and it becomes a spiral into slower movement, more damage, even slower movement, more damage. Even if I kill everything, healing supplies are too weak to heal all my wounds and I don't have enough food to wait it out.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: July 24, 2011, 04:47:47 pm »

Painkillers to run.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 24, 2011, 04:49:37 pm »

That's just a case of a stupid message.  I've been meaning to update it to "you pierce the ___'s brain!"

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 777