Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300739 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2865 on: July 24, 2011, 01:27:58 pm »

Plus, your town(or for that matter, you character/'s family) could be some gun-nut, or could have been so paranoid of a Soviet nuclear apocalyse that they built a bomb shelter in their basement.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: July 24, 2011, 01:33:07 pm »

I have actually lived in England, and guns are -rare-, gunshops are -rare- and even those are not allowed to sell the really powerful stuff. It is completely illegal to walk around with knives, let alone firearms. Then again this is the future so it doesn't matter, but we should abandon any kind of authenticity of, supposedly, that region right now.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: July 24, 2011, 01:36:04 pm »

I have actually lived in England, and guns are -rare-, gunshops are -rare- and even those are not allowed to sell the really powerful stuff. It is completely illegal to walk around with knives, let alone firearms. Then again this is the future so it doesn't matter, but we should abandon any kind of authenticity of, supposedly, that region right now.

Irrelevant. This is New England, as in East-coast US.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: July 24, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »

It seems I've skimmed over the 'new' part somewhere then. Agreed then, completely irrelevant. I stand corrected.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: July 24, 2011, 01:40:44 pm »

Yay for leniant american gun control!

silverpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: July 24, 2011, 01:51:39 pm »

You can't buy most of the select-fire weapons in Cataclysm without military/LE purchase orders or a machine gun dealer/manufacturer license. A good chunk of them have civilian semi-auto copies, though, and the older stuff have a few examples of transferables. (Though MAC-10s are pretty common, because the manufacturer registered a whole *bunch* of them immediately before the ban.) There are only something like 250K registered machine guns in the American registry, only half of which are transferable (which means you can own and use them). Some of those are inoperable (pre-68 deactivated war trophies, mechanical damage), some are unbuilt weapons kits with a valid registration, and some are basically just registered parts or lightning-links that aren't actually inserted into a host weapon - which would mean you'd have to find the weapon that it can be used with - a somewhat difficult task *now* and almost impossible short of sheer luck for some weapons in the zombie apocalypse.

In the US you don't have to have a safe or anything to have a firearm, even an NFA firearm (machine guns, shorty rifles and shotguns, suppressors, explosive/poison/incendiary munitions, 40mm 'flare' launchers) - some states and cities have their own rules, though. But it's still a good idea to have a safe - machine guns start around $3500 for SMGs and $7500 for assault rifles, and you do *not* want to explain to the ATF that you had a transferable machine gun stolen because you were a dumbass and couldn't be bothered to buy a proper safe for your very expensive toy.

There's a few ways to do this:
* We could arbitrarily declare that the machine gun registry freeze is dead by 205X, so now we have lots of civvie machine guns.
* We could remove the select-fire weapons from the gun store loot profile altogether, putting them into places like police stations and National Guard armories. (Police stations would have mostly submachine guns, National Guard armories having the select-fire rifles and LMGs and explosives)
* We could create new loot profiles for gun stores, splitting them into ones that focus on the sporting market, on handguns, and on tacticool stuff. Also, a few more profiles for gun store layouts, some having back rooms, others with longer target ranges and a smaller showroom. Also, pawn shops. Mix of sporting and handgun loot profiles and random other stuff, like used electronics and melee weapons. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE PAWN SHOPS. :D Of course, getting in could be difficult without a key, and that damn alarm is a dinner bell for zombies should you trip it.

I'd personally recommend a mix of the three.

(Whew! Sorry, long post...)

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: July 24, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »

2 pictures under the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: July 24, 2011, 01:59:36 pm »

Liking your mod 13thRonin, however if you were aiming for difficulty you didn't really achieve it. Maybe when you fully implement item scarcity it might, however I'm breezing through it.

Right now I'm at day 2 with a melee focused character, and it looks like its only going to get easier from here.

While the increased spawn does keep me on my toes, without special zombies, its pretty easy if you play smart. "Play Smart" is mostly either diving through a window and beating back the hordes, or simply running away and one hitting any zombie dogs that catch up.

Just my thoughts. Its perfect as it is, if you were aiming for a mod that is just as difficult as the vanilla version.

"Edit" Dr. Weird, any combat skill is overpowered once you get it to a high enough skill level. I've seen people get far with just the throwing skill.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: July 24, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »

Dr. Weird, any combat skill is overpowered once you get it to a high enough skill level. I've seen people get far with just the throwing skill.
It's just that I find it silly that I'm punching zombies in half.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: July 24, 2011, 02:03:31 pm »

Speaking of which, Wierd, what was your skill level when the pictures were taken?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: July 24, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »

I so cannot wait for windows to no longer be the be-all end-all haha-you're-stuck-i-win thingy anymore. For srs.
This is not a signature.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: July 24, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »

Wow, what's your skill level, Dr. Wierd?  Methinks the crit damage for unarmed needs to be capped a bit, especially given your low strength!

silverpower, you have some good thoughts there.  I shied away from putting the semi-auto-only civilian variants in the game, since burst-firing is fun and I didn't want to make it impossible to acquire.  But now that there's police stations in the game, and things like dead military patrols, I think I can start moving some guns to those areas instead of the gun stores.  Pawn shops are a great idea too!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: July 24, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »

Speaking of which, Wierd, what was your skill level when the pictures were taken?
9 with both unarmed and melee

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: July 24, 2011, 02:11:24 pm »

I do agree on like a an alarm that lasts a certain amount of time in pawn shops. Maybe it could be disabled from behind the counter, but a failure causes it to keep going for longer. The base time should be like 30 minutes, with a 5 minute cool down timer on attempts to stop it. Dont know how hard it would be to implement, but there you go. They could be like death traps if they arent looted quickly enough.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: July 24, 2011, 02:14:10 pm »

Yeah, that's a bit broken for a middling lvl9 - that's lv14-18 damage targets, I'd think.

lv24 with my spears I was doing 200, but thats with an actual weapon, good strength, and more than twice your level.

Whales, does strength actuall even factor into melee damage? I've noticed almost no difference between my 16str and 4str character on that front.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:15:52 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 777