Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299695 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2130 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »

Same with 1.0.7, but I guess I will try earlier ones too.
Huh. Which Windows have you got? Architecture and perhaps, model of your CPU might help.

Also, the best way to solve this is via debugging. I can't remember how to do that, exactly, so someone please help me on this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »

run the program from the command line with gdb. If you don't have gdb, look it up, you'll have to install it. Instructions have been posted for windows users to run the debugger in this thread but I can't be arsed to find it again. :P

Should probably be added to original post next time

(Meanwhile, I've been crash free for several versions)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 19, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »

Btw, I found an odd bug.

I always use the Animal Empathy trait, as animals love me and my characters are made as close to my real self as possible.

Here's where the bug arises. Every time, I spawn with a friendly dog nearby that will follow me and fight to protect me. The odd thing is, I've noticed that the dog will randomly find itself inside of a house with all doors and windows closed, and it happened with a rabid squirrel as well.

I'm not sure if its due to some diagonal movement bug, but when I'm walking back and forth by a door or window they won't enter, but once I'm offscreen they sometimes magically find their way through the door/window even though the door/windows are still closed and intact.

Wtf? Teleporting animals, ftw!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2133 on: July 19, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »

So would anyone be interested in starting a cataclysm modding thread? We could post the stuff we've made, swap ideas, collaborate, and whales could pick out anything he likes for the mainstream game.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 19, 2011, 09:01:49 pm »

Whales, I'm playing this came and loving it, but there are a couple of oddities I figure I should mention.

1) backpacks have less encumbrance than both messenger bags and purses. This seems odd to me.
     1a) Military style backpacks often have quick release thingymabobs near the shoulders allowing you to quickly drop you pack if you enter a combat situation and need to move quickly. That would be a nice feature

2)I went north a ways, past where the I could originally see. I made a note about some bodies I found up there. Then I walked back down and saved and quit. When I loaded the newly explored areas were still revealed, but the next label for each tile said unexplored. The note icon was still there but there was no text.

3) Grenades can knock down walls in the lab, leaving rubble and 2X4's. This seems weird to me.

4)Blood filter doesn't always clean the stimulant effect from your system.

5) When you have low power (less than 3) you can't retract your claws in order to acquire items to gain more power. This can lead to YASD situations. A use from ground key or an emergency retract which causes some form of damage would be good solutions to this. A warning might help otherwise.

6)I would love a debug command to make NPCs disapear, I occasionally end up hitting shift+g and spawning them, and I would like them to go away again.

7) Acid rain damage to items outside is counter intuitive. Right now if you're near items they can get damage. But items several map tiles over are perfectly fine. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to extend damage to all items outside, since that would rapidly deplete sources of loot.

8) There is so search key. Since there are potentially undetectable traps (e.g. buried bear traps, land mines) it would be nice if there was a way to check around you when you find your self in a trap field.

9)Certain  tasks have extremely unrealistic time-costs. Digging holes and setting bear traps is a prime example of that. oyu can currently dig a hole 2 tiles in front of a zombie and they will walk forward and fall in. This is very, very abusable. Digging a whole deep enough to injure someone (3 feet or more deep) takes at least 30 minutes IRL.

10)Scent. Zombies can track you by your smell. Yet there is no way to change or smell or lay false scent trails. Baiting traps  with worn/bloody clothing would be cool. As would needing to bathe/change clothes in order to reduce your scent.

11)socks. There are no socks in the game. No socks for your books, no socks to slip a rock into and crush a zombie skull with and no socks to keep you warm when it gets cold.

12) Temperature, being out in 50 degree rain for several hours is enough to give one hypothermia. It doesn't seem like that it implemented.

13) weather. It would be really nice if there was a way to look at the sky and get a taste of the weather for the next 1/2 hour.

14)The messages on the computers in the science lab. It seems like each paragraph is generated independently. Sometimes they repeat which is odd.

15) zombie scientists have flasks of acid. I would like to have flasks of acid. Or perhaps make them from the pools spitter zombies leave.

16) Tequilla is currently more enjoyable than any other liquor, for every character I have yet observed. This seems odd.

Keep up the awe-inspiring work!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 19, 2011, 09:05:38 pm »

I think I'm just going to wait for a much later version, hoping that the bugs are fixed. I don't feel like downloading this gdb program to debug it.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 19, 2011, 09:06:12 pm »

Just chiming in on that acid rain bit; I don't think it should be all over the place but rather kept in certain areas, such as places laden with industrial style buildings that actually contribute pollution and corrosive elements to the air. Having acid rain in the middle of the 'burbs is a bit weird and unusual, not to mention how damaging it is to aforementioned loot.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 19, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »

Okay, i was playing 1.0.7. On windows, and I found 2 npcs. . .I thought they were removed?. . .unless I hit a debug key or something, which key spawns them?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 19, 2011, 09:11:45 pm »

Okay, i was playing 1.0.7. On windows, and I found 2 npcs. . .I thought they were removed?. . .unless I hit a debug key or something, which key spawns them?

Save and quit and they go away. They never spawn after the 1st character per world. Also you can generate them with G.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 19, 2011, 09:19:13 pm »

Okay, now I'm testing the Linux and have a slight problem.
The terminal doesn't understand the command aptitude, mentioned in "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install g++".
That's in Head's step 4 in http://whoopshop.com/catawiki/index.php/Download

Wat do?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 19, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »

10)Scent. Zombies can track you by your smell. Yet there is no way to change or smell or lay false scent trails. Baiting traps  with worn/bloody clothing would be cool. As would needing to bathe/change clothes in order to reduce your scent.
According to its description, teargas supposedly messes up the olfactory sense of whatever is in it, and I assume this applies to zombies too. I don't know if the effect is actually in there, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 19, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »

According to its description, teargas supposedly messes up the olfactory sense of whatever is in it, and I assume this applies to zombies too. I don't know if the effect is actually in there, though.

Good point. Now that I think of it smoke bombs do this too.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 19, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »

The terminal doesn't understand the command aptitude, mentioned in "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install g++".

Wat do?

The command to install g++ in Ubuntu is "sudo apt-get install g++".  If you're not using Ubuntu, you might not use apt-get or aptitude; refer to your distro's documentation for how to install software.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »

Wat do?

The command to install g++ in Ubuntu is "sudo apt-get install g++".  If you're not using Ubuntu, you might not use apt-get or aptitude; refer to your distro's documentation for how to install software.
Thanks, tried apt-get instead of aptitude and it worked.
Well, I've also managed to succesfully compile Cataclysm on Linux, so now I'm ready to work on that guide.

I'll keep it in normal text format, so you won't have to do any reformatting if you put it in future distributions, Whales.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 19, 2011, 09:41:08 pm »

Another bug: Cardboard box is a non-liquid holding container(I'm assuming, as I don't think I can carry water/gas around in a tv dinner box...) yet I can carry water/gasoline in it. A minor thing, probably due to the way containers are coded.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 777