Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playstation One emulator?  (Read 4477 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Playstation One emulator?
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »

I've been hoping to play old games of mine(Crash Bandicoot 2, Spyro 2) but I'm not sure of an emulator to get. Any suggestions? I've come to find that the Bay12 forums is full of madness and good advice.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playstation One emulator?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:52:27 pm »

Just get epsxe.

Google is your friend.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:52:40 pm »

I don't know of any emulators (don't use them myself), but you could probably get a PS2 for a low price and use that to run your PS1 disks. Or if you have a PS3 or PSP, the games you mentioned and other PS1 games are on the Playstation Network store (I got Crash Bandicoot 2 on my PSP through there) for between $5 and $10.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »

I use one called unimaginatively "pSX", haven't had any problems with it. But then I don't ever use disks (the my optical drive is busted), so I don't know how well it handles them (the readme says it can, though).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »

Just get epsxe.

Google is your friend.
Ditto. It's one of the better PS1 emulators.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:22:26 pm »

I've used both pSX and epsxe to play several games. epsxe is without a doubt the better emulator -- especially if you like to tinker around with shaders/plugins, fixes, and an extremely large plethora of graphical options and checkboxes among other things. It can make some games, especially those without prerendered assets, look pretty damn slick.

HOWEVER, if all those options and checkboxes confuse the hell out of you (like they did me when I started emulating), pSX is a very nice choice. It's a no-hassle and extremely simplified, but very stable (probably more stable than epsxe) emulator. You can't go wrong with it. But don't expect hi-res textures.

Edit: Just in case you were thinking "Oh, I know how to set up graphics options, I do that in every game I play", here's the setup for generally-agreed-upon-as-best graphics plugin for epsxe.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:38:55 pm by Twerty »
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »

You can get a PS2 for around a tenner these days, a PS1 even cheaper.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 04:56:40 pm »

I've been emulating for about 3 years now. I mainly use both pSX and EpsxE. I use pSX more than EpsxE because it is much more user friendly and it only takes a few seconds to modify something like controls. I use EpsxE when my game won't run on pSX. Download both emulators and use them as you wish. Also, EpsxE can be quite frustrating when you're trying to find a graphics plugin that dosen't mess around with the graphics of your game.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:06:07 pm »

Just get epsxe.

Google is your friend.
Ditto. It's one of the better PS1 emulators.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:00:09 pm »

Edit: Just in case you were thinking "Oh, I know how to set up graphics options, I do that in every game I play", here's the setup for generally-agreed-upon-as-best graphics plugin for epsxe.

I see one open menu with nothing checked on it (almost certainly contains game-specific configuration options that you almost certainly don't have to worry about), one menu containing keybindings for common functions, one text input that can (apparently) be left as default, a video plugin selector whose only important option is the simple drop-down menu, and finally a single menu with a handful of options, most of which are either specified by your monitor settings (resolution), are strictly optional (FPS display, screensaver disable, etc.), or are more or less a case of "what is your GFX card capable of?"

I don't see much to panic over. No offense, but I wouldn't try to discourage someone from using Win7 by opening the Control Panel, Windows Explorer, and a couple of command windows and exclaiming, "Hey! Windows is totally complicated! Really!"  :P

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:06:00 pm »

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »

I see one open menu with nothing checked on it (almost certainly contains game-specific configuration options that you almost certainly don't have to worry about), one menu containing keybindings for common functions, one text input that can (apparently) be left as default, a video plugin selector whose only important option is the simple drop-down menu, and finally a single menu with a handful of options, most of which are either specified by your monitor settings (resolution), are strictly optional (FPS display, screensaver disable, etc.), or are more or less a case of "what is your GFX card capable of?"

I don't see much to panic over. No offense, but I wouldn't try to discourage someone from using Win7 by opening the Control Panel, Windows Explorer, and a couple of command windows and exclaiming, "Hey! Windows is totally complicated! Really!"  :P

That's not quite how it works. The majority of the drop down menus aren't exactly linear "bad graphics to good graphics" and many can have a negative impact when combined with other features, a lot of them need to be tweaked based on what shaders you're using, and what game you're playing (specifically if it's 2D, 3D, a mixture of both, rendered backgrounds, cell shading, etc).

I was trying to give a feel of how complicated epsxe is compared to not having to set up anything at all, as is the case with pSX emulator. Obviously, I did not do a very good job.

I do encourage you, however, to try selecting shaders yourself and setting them up to work optimally in a game yourself using epsxe. I can't properly convey the confusion of searching for hours through years-old threads referring to plugins that are outdated or no longer hosted in a screenshot.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:52:46 pm by Twerty »
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:36:04 am »

I still have my old Ps1 games, and I still love them to bits. :D
And the amazing thing is, these games I played fanatically when my hands were hardly big enough to grasp a controller, they still hold up in quality! I forsook the rose-tinted glasses and played them after years, and I still love 'em. I ditched Red Dead Redemption and Oblivion for Crash Bandicoot 2 and Poy Poy, still my two most favourite games... Ever!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »

Crash Bandicoot one is great, so is two. Three beats them both for me though, it seems to be better in every way.

Also, if you don't know what to play, either grab a copy of SOTN on ebay or DL the isos for your emulator.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.