Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Goblin Camp 0.15  (Read 5929 times)

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp 0.15
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 11:41:58 pm »

Looks pretty damn interesting. Is this like DF but with mouse support or something?

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:30 am »

It's a similar idea as DF just not as insanely complex. But playing GC really does make you want this UI in DF. My god I would probably lose so much time if that were the case...

Watch this excellent tutorial video to get an idea of gameplay  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2lLY_OIyK0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:28:37 am by joey4track »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 05:15:52 am »

I haven't played this for a while and when I did it seemed to be DF without Adventure mode, legend mode and world/history gen. It also seemed to have a better UI although I got bored of it before really got to trying it.
Is the dwarf mode part (goblin mode >.<) half decent and is it more than just DF easy/playable mode? I'm not saying it's a clone or anything, I just don't know it ^^

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:04 am »

The guy's admitted that DF was a big draw for creating the game, and while it may one day be as complex, its more of the base building genre with full simulation for your goblins and orcs (and trolls) than the full world simulator that DF is.  Still fun, though.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 02:04:56 pm »

It really is quite fun. I just wish someone had told me to build up a nice military before i put my stone quarry right next to my camp. Damn soldier ants...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 06:56:08 pm »

Hm, stockpiles are being re-done into actual piles. The roadmap for the new version:
•Revamped stockpile system
•New vegetation generation algorithm to make better maps with more varied plantlife
•A lot of tweaking of existing mechanics to make them play better together
•Bug fixes, lots and lots of small stuff
I hope we get more immigrant creatures, having an army of trolls capable of roflstomping a human siege is pretty cool but I would like some variety.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »

Bump, come on guys. This game is great.

Falling to Pieces; Can YOU end this chaos?

Overpopulation, food shortage, shitty infrastructure, a human attack on the doorstep, this place has it all.

Lemme give you a sitrep, general. You've got exactly 157 orcs and a handful of trolls to hold the camp, 7 are guarding the quarry so I suggest not moving them unless you want additional chaos. almost all the orcs have been mobilized and moved to the southern gate where they await the human siege, most of them are unarmed. Many of the orcs are currently moving there, a good chunk will not make it before the humans. Trolls are patrolling the territory, roughly 6 of them. If you survive the attack, good for you. Then you'll have the overpopulation (maybe XD), the food shortage and the infrastructure to deal with. Good luck, and godspeed general.

Pretty much the whole of the main camp; Spawning pool and (former) garbage dump to the north. Humans and river to the south.

The humans crossing the river rather slowly and the current orc army at the time of saving.

Protip: That is a LOT of humans.

Good luck.

Note, I made this as an attempt at making a good camp. The shitty dump mechanic for items that go over the limit caused the population problems, general slugginess of the camp caused the food issues and the infrastructure I'm not sure. Have fun with this hellish nightmare of a camp (in my eyes).

Also note, this is a Citadel, with only a stone quarry. Don't ask how I got it in this much shit.

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »

Goddamn, that's a mess. I shall attempt to fix it.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:56 am »

On one hand i like the direction he is taking the game to with the stockpiles, on the other hand, i find the road/wall building mechanic to be very annoying (the part where the predesigned construction plans vanish if you do not have enough wood half way through the constructing of the walls/roads).

What i personally hope will be added in the near future is npc settlements and a more interesting spawning mechanics of monsters/animals. right now it feels artificial to see them coming out of your buildings or seeing animals just pop up in complete random locations. he implemented height long ago, so i cant see why he cant attach creature spawning to atleast certain heights so that it will create some sort of natural habitats.

i also really hope someone will create/modify a tileset that will work with the current tileset rendering version.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 10:48:30 am »

bumpity great game just started playing and im loving it
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 11:21:05 am »

I found this to be more complicated than DF.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 09:57:15 am »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 10:49:25 am »

How so?

just so we make things clear, it isnt. but i would really love to hear the reasoning behind such a statement.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp 0.2
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17:04 am »

Good news : Goblin Camp got updated recently to version 0.2 :
http://www.goblincamp.com/

* Piles replace Stockpiles. Everything is allowed and containers get automatically shuffled to where they are needed.
    * Diseases will weaken and eventually kill your population if you don’t do anything about a growing population.
    * Migratory animals will sometimes cross the map
    * The spawning pool expands and spreads corruption in a smoother way, it’s improved from the abrupt way it was before.
    * Cowardly creatures can now also panic if they encounter another panicking creature
    * Death messages have been improved to give a bit more information, and a bit of variety has been added to them as well.
    * Constructions strobe under the cursor now, to better visualize where one stops and another one begins.
    * Portable mode. Just create a file named goblin-camp.portable in the directory where GC is installed and it’ll store all the files it needs in a sub-directory in that folder, instead of in the operating system’s default folder.
    * Skeletons no longer bleed and other assorted bug fixes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:23:26 am by Robsoie »

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp 0.2
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:34 am »

Good news : Goblin Camp got updated recently to version 0.2 :
http://www.goblincamp.com/

* Piles replace Stockpiles. Everything is allowed and containers get automatically shuffled to where they are needed.
    * Diseases will weaken and eventually kill your population if you don’t do anything about a growing population.
    * Migratory animals will sometimes cross the map
    * The spawning pool expands and spreads corruption in a smoother way, it’s improved from the abrupt way it was before.
    * Cowardly creatures can now also panic if they encounter another panicking creature
    * Death messages have been improved to give a bit more information, and a bit of variety has been added to them as well.
    * Constructions strobe under the cursor now, to better visualize where one stops and another one begins.
    * Portable mode. Just create a file named goblin-camp.portable in the directory where GC is installed and it’ll store all the files it needs in a sub-directory in that folder, instead of in the operating system’s default folder.
    * Skeletons no longer bleed and other assorted bug fixes.
Was about to check on it again. But yeah.. I hope the population doesn't turn out to be a huge mess again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3