Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: "You Can't Discuss Religion, That's Naughty (But Only If You're Athiest)"  (Read 24657 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile

Uh, you consider actually cutting off part of someone's penis to be a lesser operation than shooting or piercing a hole through the  tongue?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

@SalmonGod: But I've mentioned several potential serious side effects - the fact that you personally have not experienced any does not mean they don't exist.  The risk of circumcision is not zero, and therefore it is unfair to dismiss the concerns of those who disagree with you.

Incidentally, circumcision is most definitely surgery as it involves incision, while piercings do not.  Some surgical acts have lower risks than others, though.

What I read is that the previous issue was guys humping beds when they masturbated, which caused phimosis.

Obviously not all phimosis can be cured this way, but apparently switching techniques fixed the issue most of the time.
...Huh.  Well, I'll bear it in mind.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Uh, you consider actually cutting off part of someone's penis to be a lesser operation than shooting or piercing a hole through the  tongue?

Absolutely.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I don't think anyone here is advocating giving tongue piercings to children...?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Well, I don't think anyone here is advocating giving tongue piercings to children...?

Never claimed as much.  I only said that calling it surgery is misleading, as one could point to other procedures that carry as much or greater risk that aren't commonly referred to as surgery.  You could argue technicality, I suppose.  It is technically a sort of surgery, and so is tongue piercing.  So is removal of an ingrown toenail.

But technicality wasn't the purpose of calling it surgery, as the word was specifically used as a measure of inherent risk.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I would say that the misleading part is your insistance that it is not surgery, in order to present the procedure as appearing more friendly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...And it does have an inherent risk, which you earlier claimed did not exist.  What's your point?

Incidentally, removal of ingrown toenail is another surgery with downsides and risks... which is why it's generally only performed on people who will receive a clear benefit from it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I would say that the misleading part is your insistance that it is not surgery, in order to present the procedure as appearing more friendly.

I'm not saying it's not surgery.  In fact, I said that it technically IS surgery.  I was pointing out that using the word "surgery" as synonymous with "risk" is unfair, given that there are other procedures which also technically qualify as surgery and carry greater risk but still less stigmatization (to the point that they are rarely referred to as surgery) because OMG it involves the penis.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was pointing out that using the word "surgery" as synonymous with "risk" is unfair, given that there are other procedures which also technically qualify as surgery and carry greater risk but still less stigmatization (to the point that they are rarely referred to as surgery) because OMG it involves the penis.
I'm gonna need evidence to support the assertion that, say, tongue piercing carries a greater risk than circumcision - I'd imagine that, under controlled conditions, the risks wouldn't be too different.  As for "OMG it involves the penis"... well, the penis has a lot of blood flowing through it.  An accident can therefore result in a lot more bleeding than an accident in an operation on the toe or ear.

And even if you do get people to stop calling a form of surgery surgery, that doesn't change the fact that there are associated risks.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Omg it involves children would be a pretty decent reason to be careful with these kinds of things, no?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

He already gave evidence to support the assertion that, say, tongue piercing carries a greater risk than circumcision.

Absolutely.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A list of possible problems arising from thing A with no probabalistic values isn't evidence that thing A is riskier than thing B.  It's evidence that thing A is risky, and that's it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Already posted a link, but here it is again.  Five second look-up.  The tongue also has a lot of blood flowing through it.  A severed tongue or penis can both lead to fatal blood loss.  The major difference is a tongue-piercing carries additional risks besides infection, blood-loss, or undesired cosmetics - for example, I doubt the procedure is as often carried out by as highly trained professionals or in hospital-safe environments, some of those risks never go away, and proper maintenance and prevention is up to the individual for as long as they have the piercing.  Yet this is very rarely referred to as surgery.

And just as a reminder, as memories seem kind of short in this thread over the past couple pages, I am pointing this out only because the word "surgery" was invoked as being synonymous with "risk" and I mean to point out that it is NOT synonymous with "serious risk" to the point that procedures which carry even greater risk than circumcision can be carried out in less safe circumstances and still be considered of such negligible risk that they won't be referred to as surgery.  Thus I believe the word carries less weight than previous attempted characterization.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:25:17 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tongue piercing isn't referred to as surgery because it isn't surgery, not because it is considered low risk.  Circumcision is referred to as surgery because it is surgery, not because it is considered high risk.

I wasn't saying "Circumcision is surgery therefore it's risky".  I was saying "Circumcision is risky (see possible risks), as is all surgery".  Even if it turned out that circumcision isn't surgery, the statement would just because "Circumcision is risky, and surgery is something else which is also risky".  Basically, the point your arguing is irrelevant.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Salmon, you where the one who brought the whole "surgery" tangent into being to begin with. Leafsnail said that all surgery have risks, to which you answered that circumcision isn't/shouldn't be called surgery because it doesn't have any risks/isn't risky enough. The only one who implied surgery is synonymous with serious risk is you.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21