Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs  (Read 9946 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »

So, it has become clear this thread's original intent was a bit naive; half a dozen or more hackings are reported around the world every day, and cataloging them all was a bit... overambitious, to put it mildly. As such, the list has been retired and this thread re-purposed to be a constructive discussion of the more interesting ones.

Thread rules remain similar to before: avoid posting useless garbage like "h4x0rs are mean; h4x0rs, y u so mean? u should not be allowed to breath." If your post does nothing to advance construction conversation and serves no other purpose than posting for the sake of posting, don't post it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:18:29 am by alway »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: A compendium of recent events
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:33:25 pm »

Well, here is something I just read about today.  No info on who did it though.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/hackers-target-bethesda-may-have-gained-access-to-account-info/
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »

I think Codemasters got hit too, don't have an article on it just an email from them about it.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:21:41 pm »

I was thinking about making a list like this too the other day. Either the media is doing a better job of reporting when these things happen, or we've seen a sharp rise in high profile hacks just in the last year.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:54 pm »

I think Codemasters got hit too, don't have an article on it just an email from them about it.

Yup. Epic too.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/06/10/epic-games-codemasters-sites-hacked/

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:58:19 pm »

Bethesda have been hacked. By lulzsec. 'For teh lulz' of course. Asshats.

The info has been released now, along with something else called senate.gov, the article if from a few hours before it was released.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:41 pm »

Organisations with an internet presence should start wising up to these attacks. Couldn't the Spanish police have trapped the people attacking the website, knowing that someone would likely to if they were to arrest some members of anonymous?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:02 pm »

DDoS attacks are usually carried out by zombie bot nets. Those are theoretically impossible to back trace to the originator because the attacks are coming from infected computers worldwide and are attacking without the knowledge of the owners.

Hacks where organizations get access to network data, on the other hand, leave trails that are harder to cover up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:24:19 pm by nenjin »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »

http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/06/13/lulzsec-vs-the-u-s-senate-of-the-day/
“Is this an act of war, gentlemen? Problem?”
Lulzsec hacked the US Senate website in addition to the Bethesda hack today. They sure are busy.
Bethesda customer personal info remains unreleased.

Guess it's time for the daily list update.
Not going to add the Codemasters hack to the list, as both the hack and news of it are previous to the thread start date.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:31:14 pm by alway »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 06:43:17 am »

Lulzsec hacked the US Senate website in addition to the Bethesda hack today. They sure are busy.

Huh. That's actually a very pointed question. As I posted about somewhere earlier (damned if I can remember the thread), the US government is currently trying to establish some threshholds to determine what sort of cyberattacks *would* constitute an act of war if it were traceable to a specific state actor. I think I actually applaud them for this -- it gives a concrete example of a stateless actor directly targeting the US government with a cyberattack. Now it's for the policy wonks to figure out how to classify it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 06:50:22 am »

Weird, it seems that in the comments section of most LulzSec articles there is one person who almost copy pastes and rehashes "if lulzsec didn't than terrorists might have..."

Hello.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 06:53:59 am »

Losers. I shall continue to follow the good hacker types, so I'll post something next time Jester does something awesome.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:01 am »

Huh. That's actually a very pointed question. As I posted about somewhere earlier (damned if I can remember the thread), the US government is currently trying to establish some threshholds to determine what sort of cyberattacks *would* constitute an act of war if it were traceable to a specific state actor. I think I actually applaud them for this -- it gives a concrete example of a stateless actor directly targeting the US government with a cyberattack. Now it's for the policy wonks to figure out how to classify it.
Yeah. I mean, at this point, as far as I can tell, the only real way to get the beauracrat's heads out of their small intestines as far as internet awareness goes is to show that "Keep up with tech, or we'll be happy to spill the 5:24 spec ops attack plans with the world.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:52 am »

No, we moved the attack up to 5:22, remember? Because the Pakistanis were spoiling it publicly again.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9