Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs  (Read 9932 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: A compendium of recent events
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2011, 06:00:54 am »

Good thing they took down the Battlefield Heroes database, that game is terrible.

I know and I had a beta account, so a low-teir password of mine may be on the net :( I liked that one,
How do I check if I am on the list?
Thank you based dwarf.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: HAAAAAX: A re-purposing
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2011, 06:17:57 am »

Eh, one nice thing about these groups is that site makers might actually put the time into glancing over the basics of proper password hashing. At least, I hope that is an outcome of all of this, since better hashing practices would make most of these attacks far less of a concern, and furthermore would reduce the severity of the attacks that nobody ever learns of, since that is one less piece of vital information known by someone who may try to exploit it.
Eh?
Eh!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2011, 07:18:31 am »

V-For-Vendetta-loving asses down

Think you need to worry more about Fight Club.  Anon, the V-for-Vendetta group, seems to be a lot more playful... and rather more moralistic =/
Perhaps I had my linkages wrong. I think Anonymous is the driving force for Antisec. They hacked a government website in South America recently, and used it to post more "manifesto" type stuff, with a V face in the background.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2011, 09:04:37 am »

Nah, so far as I've heard Anon is worried about *Sec's effects on tightened internet protocols.  I mean, obviously, Antisec would probably be a subset of Anonymous (given that Anon is anyone who is anonymous online...), but as hacking groups it seemed to me that they have rather distinct goals.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2011, 09:20:22 am »

Hmm...according to Slashdot and a number of security sites, it's sort of a joint operation between LulzSec and Anonymous (or people claiming to speakk for Anonymous). Although board chatter in some of the "protest movement" sites seems to indicate that there's a lot of ambivalence and disagreement over whether this is mostly Anon, mostly Lulz, or just mostly stupid. One of the more common refrains is 'NLPA (not lulz' personal army)'

Regardless, the indiscriminate targeting and the inclusion of white hats in the targeting list make this beyond the pale, as far as I'm concerned. This isn't hacktivism, this is just trying to create as much havoc as possible. It's also incredibly hypocritical if Anon is involved. They want to 'shine a light on secrets, to speak truth to power' -- but then the basis for this campaign is to bludgeon the hell out of people that publish exploits and security holes, so that those will remain secret and give power to those who know them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2011, 01:10:39 am »

Seems there's some news worthy of discussion.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43998147/ns/technology_and_science-security/
to quote the headline:
Biggest-ever series of cyber attacks uncovered, UN hit
'Operation Shady RAT' continued for five years and hit 72 global organizations

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2011, 06:17:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yay! This was happening for years in the private sector but it takes a bunch of kids on the internet trying to do the same thing for good rather than a profitable reason to make the government do something! What does the government do? Pressure the kids on the internet alerting them!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:21:49 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2011, 05:30:06 pm »

Somebody hit a University of Waterloo server over a period of seven months just recently. Not sure if it was part of this mass-attack or not.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]