Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Acopalypse looms nigh  (Read 3299 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: The Acopalypse looms nigh
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 03:15:46 am »

And yea, there was merriement and rejoicing.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 03:25:30 am »

God Camping, do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 05:51:53 am »

Anyone played it yet?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 05:55:59 am »

Hahaha, oh strife, you crack me up. Living in Australia, we tend to get our games a little later then the rest of the world. Gives the developers time to rip anything interesting out of the game so that it will be rated for kids and allowed in the borders. You remember left for dead 2, right? Well chances are I will be able to comment on it's quality around 2044.

On a side note, a great new game just came out down here, called Zork! So much fun!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 05:58:31 am »

Hahaha, oh Max, you crack me up.

I have to wait for it to come out in the states. AFAES to approve it. Ship it to Kuwait. Go through several customs organizations. Ship it to Iraq. Ship it to the nearest PX, then wait for me to get a chance to go to that PX. Probable time period to getting the game? After I'm in another country.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 07:19:01 am »

I have to wait for it to come out in the states. AFAES to approve it. Ship it to Kuwait. Go through several customs organizations. Ship it to Iraq. Ship it to the nearest PX, then wait for me to get a chance to go to that PX. Probable time period to getting the game? After I'm in another country.

You could, y'know, buy it on Steam.  Does the army let you use Steam?

Also, holy crap why am I in this thread, there's sure to soon be spoilers aplenty.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 07:31:36 am »

Also, holy crap why am I in this thread, there's sure to soon be spoilers aplenty.

Duke makes inappropriate comments, and shit get's blown up. /spoilers
Because this reporter predicts that is what it will boil down to.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:27 am »

Hahaha, oh strife, you crack me up. Living in Australia, we tend to get our games a little later then the rest of the world. Gives the developers time to rip anything interesting out of the game so that it will be rated for kids and allowed in the borders. You remember left for dead 2, right? Well chances are I will be able to comment on it's quality around 2044.

On a side note, a great new game just came out down here, called Zork! So much fun!
I don't think Duke Nukem Forever will be censored in this shithole Australia. But if it is, I'm starting the Liberal Game Squad.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 10:34:09 am »

I don't think this is the real apocalypse. Just tried out the demo, and it's nothing how I imagined Forever would truly be.

It could be the apocalypse for the gaming industry though, considering one of the most anticipated vaporware becomes a disappointment when finally released; and then let the news media make tons of reports of teens gaining "easy access to adult material via this game" despite it's obvious warning, ignoring the fact that the internet is even easier in that regard.

I think I'll go read a book.

EDIT:
Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme a measure. I think I'll just play the classics though; wash the memory out of my mind.

EDIT EDIT:
Actually, I had high hopes when I watched the intro. It actually looked promising with how well it reenacted the old scenarios from the original 3D game, leading up to this one. And then I played it, and it lost it's charm the intro carried.

Even the final boss fight from 3D which the first level in the demo reenacted, seemed far too easy, compared to 3D where you had numerous enemies, a blimp which you could destroy packed to the brim with ammo and weapons, cheerleaders rooting for you, and just about every weapon at your disposal to duke it out against that guy; and it was actually a challenge for what it was worth despite a godlike arsenal against it; even more fun when dukeing it out above "Come Get Some" difficulty.

Took more devastator rounds in that version to kill it than what the demo used. It's also a shame that you can't take down heavy machinery with a pistol anymore. Duke was hardcore like that in the past. Nowadays, he'd might as well pack an Airsoft pistol.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:02:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:05 am »

Using my key for the first access club now.

Never has a generic metal riff sounded so good.
Shoes...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 11:20:17 am »

It could be the apocalypse for the gaming industry though, considering one of the most anticipated vaporware becomes a disappointment when finally released; and then let the news media make tons of reports of teens gaining "easy access to adult material via this game" despite it's obvious warning, ignoring the fact that the internet is even easier in that regard.

The sad part is I have no doubt that this could happen.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »

You could, y'know, buy it on Steam.  Does the army let you use Steam?

I'm on a Dod Computer with a Dod internet connection. It takes an hour to load a 12 minute youtube video, and I can't hook my laptop to it anyway.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »

I just played it.

I wouldn't call it a disappointment.  It's extremely crude and offensive, and the gameplay is nothing special, but it's great in its own way.

I wish they would've been more Serious Sam about it.  You have to use cover and shit on hard difficulty.  It's just not Duke-like.
Shoes...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:39 pm »

I wish they would've been more Serious Sam about it.  You have to use cover and shit on hard difficulty.  It's just not Duke-like.
More Serious Sam about it? Bah! They should have been more DUKE NUKEM about it!

Also, what's with the whole only carrying 2 weapons thing? Is it because of the whole "LOL REALISMZ" craze going on in games nowadays, or is it because of them damn console gamers? I heard a rumour that Gearbox said "We do not allow the carrying of more than one weapon as it would be too hard for console gamers to switch weapons", so I'm assuming it's the latter.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 08:13:27 pm »

Also, what's with the whole only carrying 2 weapons thing? Is it because of the whole "LOL REALISMZ" craze going on in games nowadays, or is it because of them damn console gamers? I heard a rumour that Gearbox said "We do not allow the carrying of more than one weapon as it would be too hard for console gamers to switch weapons", so I'm assuming it's the latter.

That's a bullshit excuse, though, console games can handle multiple weapons just fine via a simple "weapon wheel" pop-up, it doesn't even need to pause the game to be effective and useable. I'm a little tired of console bashing in general, yeah a gamepad sucks in a FPS but unless you're into MLG(Major League Gaming) or similar competitive gaming (IE: playing something that isn't specifically tailored to single player) it really isn't going to change the game. Like, at all. You can still rock the hardest difficulty on a gamepad if you try, and are a competent player. The game market for PC and consoles are so vastly different, it just seems silly to bash one because of some bad design choices by a few game makers.
[/minirant]

As for the rest of the thread: I was too young at the time to be a Duke Nukem veteran, so I'm fairly new to the series (I think I played one on the N64 or PS1 or something maybe, and that's it). I dislike regenerating health in FPS, but it's not going to make or break whether or not I like a game. Same with the limited weapons. I'd like to give my opinion on the game, but it doesn't release in the US for a few more days, so I'll just go ahead and wait.
Pages: 1 [2] 3