Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: We Finally Reached the Future  (Read 3183 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We Finally Reached the Future
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 08:50:44 pm »

Although, it's rather small... So it's easier to get into a busy intersection, or even a busy street (New York comes to mind. Even downtown Toronto is a bloody crush), with a small bomb, than a car-bomb. Easier than on foot, too.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »

The biggest problem with that design is stability.  With just the two fans, there's no triangulation, so if it leans too far over it won't be able to right itself.
gyroscopic effect of spinny things?
Here you go.

Quote from: From article
As with the Chinook [helicopter], the counter-rotating rotors cancel out each other's torque reaction, eliminating the need for an anti-torque vertical tail rotor and increasing the efficiency of the vehicle.
Yay for helicopter technology being applied to the future!

I think thanks to 9/11, you'll require a pilot's license for most of these flying craft
Here you go.
Quote from: From Article
In what should help with the obvious regulatory hurdles that will need to be crossed before it takes to the skies, in the U.S. the Hoverbike will be classed as an ultralite, which means that it will not require a pilot's license to be flown.

Yeah, these things are light enough that crashing into a building might break a pane of glass or two, but no more. It'd be like ramming a building with a bicycle.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 12:37:03 am »

I think thanks to 9/11, you'll require a pilot's license for most of these flying craft
Here you go.
Quote from: From Article
In what should help with the obvious regulatory hurdles that will need to be crossed before it takes to the skies, in the U.S. the Hoverbike will be classed as an ultralite, which means that it will not require a pilot's license to be flown.
Yeah, these things are light enough that crashing into a building might break a pane of glass or two, but no more. It'd be like ramming a building with a bicycle.
Yes, but what if you arm it with some IEDs and remote-control it? Then they're effectively mobile explosive devices (armed with a lance/bayonet to pierce windows before collisions).

Hmm.... That sounds like a nifty idea to implement.

Then again, I think the worst-case scenario for their threat level is someone carrying boxes of water balloons and/or eggs, or mentos-coke missiles on board with them and bombing cities like giant pigeons.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:40:54 am by Itnetlolor »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 12:45:08 am »

But you can ALREADY do that with an ultralight plane. The hoverbike provides no benefit! Except it probably has a lower lift capacity.

Honestly though this thing so far has only been capable of the little tethered tests that skycar has accomplished and never seems to move beyond.

I want them to bring back the hover-ufo, it was much cooler.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 01:40:10 am »

I think we've got a few problems already classifying this as an ultralight, assuming the claims are true.
All quotes from http://www.ultralightflying.com/ultralight-vehicle-regulations/ultralight-vehicle-regulations.html

A single person ultralight must:

Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons

If this thing is as big of a gas guzzler as is said, 5 gallons isn't going to get you a very long flight.

Is not capable of more than 55 knots (63 mph) calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight;

If it's capable of reaching 173 mph, as claimed, then that's good reason to not classify it as an ultralight.

As for using it as a terror platform, if people don't listen to the regulations...

* No person may operate any ultralight vehicle in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons or property.

* No person may allow an object to be dropped from an ultralight vehicle if such action creates a hazard to other persons or property.

You've still got this rule:
Operations Over Congested Areas

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons.

Now, I can't go without saying that waivers can be given and exceptions can be made, but the regulations, at least argue against what some of you, and even the articles, are suggesting.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:19 am »

Oh, I do love this country.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 05:42:23 am »

Modded hoverbikes into LCS.
First one I get is rainbow coloured.
Oooh, that'd be about 20% cooler!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 08:56:38 am »

Yes, but what if you arm it with some IEDs and remote-control it? Then they're effectively mobile explosive devices (armed with a lance/bayonet to pierce windows before collisions).

This sounds almost as dangerous as driving a half-ton lump of steel at ninety miles an hour down a sidewalk. Almost.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

So we now just need the hoverboard, Think about it, Marty Mcfly needs it badly.
Blargh.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 01:32:41 pm »

So we now just need the hoverboard, Think about it, Marty Mcfly needs it badly.
Base one on this bike's design (how the props are configured), use a snowboard and electronic skateboard as a base area and fuel/motor containment, and we might have something to start from. Be sure you strap in tight and make sure to wear a helmet (and what the hell, a parachute). Skitchin' on planes may be challenging, especially when trying to grab on to the rudder and hang on, but a worthy challenge to provide skilled hoverboarders nonetheless.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:35:38 pm by Itnetlolor »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:03 pm »

Hell a hoverboard would take advantage of the ground effect (if it goes higher it's a 'copterboard), so you won't need props that are quite that big and less fuel to boot.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:06:43 pm by Virex »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »

Spoiler: RULES (click to show/hide)

Ugh... way to take all the fun out of it :(

I'm tired of agonizingly slow people on my commute to work!  I want to fly over them!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »

Spoiler: RULES (click to show/hide)

Ugh... way to take all the fun out of it :(

I'm tired of agonizingly slow people on my commute to work!  I want to fly over them!

Nothing says you can't fly over them, you just need a proper license to do so.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 03:21:16 pm »

DO WANT. Also, hello future, now where the hell is my jetpack? Because you don't need a parachute when you've got a jetpack.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

DO WANT. Also, hello future, now where the hell is my jetpack? Because you don't need a parachute when you've got a jetpack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Rossy
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4