Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Archery tower  (Read 4510 times)

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
  • I am encircled with bands of newbiness.
    • View Profile
Re: Archery tower
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 05:22:40 pm »

So, a siege thingy just arrived with quite a few more goblins than i am used to. Right in the construction of my tower... So they broke my (i see now) pathetic defense down and slaughtered most of my dwarf till i finally got them killed just to realise that some snake or something sneaked down into my living quarters and started murdering everything...
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »

So, a siege thingy just arrived with quite a few more goblins than i am used to. Right in the construction of my tower... So they broke my (i see now) pathetic defense down and slaughtered most of my dwarf till i finally got them killed just to realise that some snake or something sneaked down into my living quarters and started murdering everything...
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress...  Where you always have !FUN!
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress...  Where you always have !FUN!

Thanks... I just lost... Had loads of fun watching my dwarfs throw tantrums and killing each other. My captain of the guard being the worst because everyone else destroyed stuff and killed each other and he of course had to punish them for the criminal acts. Then another siege came and ended it. My strength was broken :(
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:59 pm »

You just gotta learn from your mistakes and hope you don't make the same ones next time.  And next time there will be another fatal mistake that will end up dooming your fortress... I think you get the idea.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 06:19:16 pm »

You just gotta learn from your mistakes and hope you don't make the same ones next time.  And next time there will be another fatal mistake that will end up dooming your fortress... I think you get the idea.

Indeed. But it's an hour past midnight suddenly because of dwarf fortress and i can't wait to start a new fortress tomorrow with some awesome defenses!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:54 pm »

Alternately, you can reclaim the fort you had and finish the tower before the new series of sieges start to arrive.

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 04:04:28 am »

Oh. Didn't know that was possible

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 05:51:19 am »

Yes, it's one of the many undocumented features. :D

You'll find most of the stuff you had before scattered around the map and you'll have to unforbid it to be able to use it. But unforbidding it all means you'll spend forever: Store item in stockpile, unless you cheat.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 05:58:53 am »

there is a designate method to unforbid/forbid/dump etc all items within a selected area, that should reduce the time needed. still there is a maximum size to the area and it only works on one level obviously.

you used to get a bunch of warriors to reclaim in olden times, nowadays it is the usual embark options. Can still train/equip your dwarves as a fightingsquad, but no longer are you restricted to only warriors.

i recommend taking agood mason at least. :)

oh, and if you abandon a fortress voluntarilly, items held by living dwarves are gone, as well as the dwarves themselves.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 06:27:27 am »

Didn't read all responses (only first 5 on page 1) but in case nobody said it yet, the trick with towers is to build the corners first, and then the rest of the walls.
Keep in mind that only walls can support walls, so your tower can only get smaller to the top, unless you trick around with scaffolding.
A basic rule is to make the tower twice the height of any obstructions on your terrain. So if you whole map is +/- 1 z-level you want your archers to stand on z level +2 as 2*1=2. If your map has steep cliffs and hills and holes, then you can make a higher (+3 - +5) tower. Also make sure your tower has a roof so your archers are safe from flying attackers. Add in a hatch to the roof terrace, so your civilians can collect any arms/feet/heads that fly up onto your tower (sometimes shit gets lodged into the fortifications, too so you'll have to remove the constructions, and rebuild it, after the limb has been removed). If your tower isn't just a ground level fortification (and even if it is, just dig a hole under it), you can put archery targets and ammo stockpiles on the lower levels, for example ground level = arrows, first level = archery targets, 2nd level shooting range, 3rd level = roof. You can then just have your 5-10 marksdwarf in a squad and have them on inactive with all labours disabled, so they will train and once you're under attack, you put them on active with a schedule that says station at note and a note on the 2nd level of your tower.
Hope that makes sense.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 12:17:18 pm »

Sorry, Nothing new there, besides the height mandate. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:16 pm »

Im pretty sure that creatures with [FLIER] do path on diagonal verticals.  I've had cave wildlife enter my fort before getting a 'struck cavern' message before...it appeared to be phasing right through a solid wall but turned out to be pathing up from diagonaly below.

I always build a floor over fortifications anyway (since they dont come with one like a wall).

Theres some archer box stuff in the link in my sig if yer still looking for designs.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:15 pm »

Fortifications carved out of walls have a floor above them, which can support constructions, unlike constructed floors.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that height actually decreases the range of a weapon. That's why I just build a wall around my outer fort, put fortifications on top, and build a floor around it so there is only one level of height difference.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »

Um... huh?

I've taken to hanging Dwarf turrets out over the walls. Basically go up two levels with constructed stairs, and then out and down one to a room with walls carved into fortifications.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 04:42:10 pm »

Its worth pointing out that the only purpose a fortification serves is to prevent melee attackers coming through them. So fortifications at the top of a tower only prevent fly things from getting your archers (which is pointless without a roof) I lost many bewildered dwarves who figured the gobbos several levels below, and some distance away would have trouble shooting through fortifications. They don't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3