Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Archery tower  (Read 4509 times)

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
  • I am encircled with bands of newbiness.
    • View Profile
Archery tower
« on: June 09, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »

Hi guys, i've just been under a siege for the first time. Some goblin archers attacked me, but lickuly my military crushed the attack with merciless efficiency. But i've been about on the wiki and forum and i guess 10 dwarfs wouldn't be able to deal likewise with a megabeast or a bigger siege. So i wondered if it is possible to make a tower of sorts which my marksdwarfs could rain death upon my foes from above. Is it?
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery tower
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:41:49 pm »

Yes
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fortifications
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tower#Basic_Constructions

There's no certified right way, it's all up to you how you want to do it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:44:24 pm by ferok »

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »

But how? A link to a guide or wiki site would be nice, haven't really been able to figure it out
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

Yes actually. This is a very common tactic as well. What you do is make a tower and have the top lined with fortifications. Once the siege arrives, you station your dwarves in the tower and while they will be slightly exposed to other archers they will always have the upper hand. Also make a roof on top of the tower so your marksdarfs are safe from flyers.

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:48:07 pm »

Also make a roof on top of the tower so your marksdarfs are safe from flyers.

Fortress Defense's Furies were happy flying right through my fortifications, FWIW.

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »

Ah, thanks guys, much appreciated

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:00:01 pm »

Did you cover your fortifications as well? Fortifications don't have a 'top floor'.

Code: [Select]
  __=__!
 H__X_@H
 #__X__#
 #  X  #
####X#####
H = fortif
! = flyer
# = solid wall
_ = floor
@ = marksdwarf
X = stairs
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:09:36 pm »

Did you cover your fortifications as well? Fortifications don't have a 'top floor'.

__=__!
 H__X_@H
 #__X__#
 #  X  #
####X#####
H = fortif
! = flyer
# = solid wall
_ = floor
@ = marksdwarf
X = stairs

My understanding was that creatures couldn't move diagnonally vertically?

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:16:03 pm »

__=__!
 H__X_@H
 #__X__#
 #  X  #
####X#####
H = fortif
! = flyer
# = solid wall
_ = floor
@ = marksdwarf
X = stairs

What is the = at the top? And can they attack or fly down through the rough like that?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »

oh heh, hatchcover. Not when locked. )flyers are rarely building destroyers.
If you did not close off the roof access, then they can get in through there.

Diagonal movement: yeah, I know, it is only a thought to solve a riddle.
Thrown/falling/born creatures or those pushed by a current can pass through fortifications, so maybe they are pasable to all flying creatures. . .

Note that above sideview is only a most basic tower, you get bonuspoints for overlapping fireangles. ;)

Place ammostocks, sleeping barracks, training targets, foodstocks and dininghall in decreasing order of importance on lower levels or in inner rooms if larger tower.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:36:22 pm by Areyar »

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:55 pm »

I generally build my towers with one wall segment on the top level  to support the roof, then use an external staircase to construct the roof.  After the roof is complete, de-construct the staircase one segment at a time.  This leaves no loose ends for building destroyers.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 04:44:01 pm »

I use walls in the corners as roofsupports usually.

Also like to have permanent access to roof, but this is a personal taste.
In locations infested with dangerous flyers, I'd probably go for the external construction too.

same issue with surface level access@ I like to have courtyards with training targets, but access tunnels are much wiser.

Topview

#H#HHH#H#
H+++++++#
#++###++#
H+#+++#+H
H+#+X+#+H
H+#+++#+H
#++###++#
H+++++++#
#H#HHH#H#

-illustrates walls behind crenellations to prevent stray arrows hitting your dorfs in the back.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:53:28 pm by Areyar »

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 04:44:49 pm »

Place ammostocks, sleeping barracks, training targets, foodstocks and dininghall in decreasing order of importance on lower levels or in inner rooms if larger tower.
Better yet make a great wall around your fort and place an entire self-sustaining complex inside.

The great wall of Goblinbane, where the stalwart defenders of the fort live and die. Once a child goes in he is never seen again as he spends the rest of his life training to be one of the elite marksdwarfs that patrol the wall.
The unseen protectors of the fortress inhabitants, their remains to be placed on the catacombs that line the founfations of the wall. So that their spirits are eternally bound to the defense of the fort.

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 04:50:37 pm »

My mind is strugling along you discussion, but i think i understand. Partially at least

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 04:55:58 pm »

Better yet make a great wall around your fort and place an entire self-sustaining complex inside.

The great wall of Goblinbane, where the stalwart defenders of the fort live and die. Once a child goes in he is never seen again as he spends the rest of his life training to be one of the elite marksdwarfs that patrol the wall.
The unseen protectors of the fortress inhabitants, their remains to be placed on the catacombs that line the founfations of the wall. So that their spirits are eternally bound to the defense of the fort.

Yeah, this is the plan.
Not many of my fortresses survive past the stage of a small walled outpost though. ><

WW I fortifications are inspiring for DF too.
Pages: [1] 2 3