Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I hate bogeymen, do you?  (Read 7289 times)

neil_v

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate bogeymen, do you?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »

I find that at some point, a pack of bogeymen show up that are impossible to kill. I have had more than a couple of legendary fighter/wrestler/axemen
That a bout the 5-10th encounter with the bogeymen just cannot land a hit at all, and every bogeymen attack rips limbs asunder. I stopped playing adventure mode because it was becoming silly.
I artmoney'd 3 adventurers and trained them up to legendary to do a test with the bogeymen. Every time I found that it would get impossible to beat a single boogeyman after a few encounters, or even whittle them down for that matter.
Anybody else have that problem? I would like to play again, but it was a game breaking moment for me.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 12:32:57 pm »

nope.
i have killed tens of packs with different adventurers. After you gain certain experience you don't eevn have to separate them, just charge ahead and watch limbsand heads flying.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »

I really dislike bogeymen how they are currently implemented. I've been getting peasants to travel with me for the sole reason of avoiding these buggers.

If I do get in a fight it's just the most tedious thing ever. I just can't hit them and eventually one of them gets a lucky hit, punching me and fracturing or chipping a bone or whatever and it's game over.

I only survive about half the encounters, and meanwhile I've managed to kill a dragon alone. But these bogeymen are just impossible to hit.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »

I really dislike bogeymen how they are currently implemented. I've been getting peasants to travel with me for the sole reason of avoiding these buggers.

If I do get in a fight it's just the most tedious thing ever. I just can't hit them and eventually one of them gets a lucky hit, punching me and fracturing or chipping a bone or whatever and it's game over.

I only survive about half the encounters, and meanwhile I've managed to kill a dragon alone. But these bogeymen are just impossible to hit.

Train striking, they're incredibly vulnerable most of the time when they get knocked down, with only the occasional one being able to roll dodge you for eternity, if faced with that, grab with teeth, tear of limbs.
Hello.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 11:55:30 am »

I aim for the head, or the lower body, if I have a slicing weapon.

If they die enough they fade away.

Also, sleeping in mountains, bodies of water, deserts, or towns will prevent them from ambushing you if you get there before they do. You're almost always near at least one of those things.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

iFreshco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 04:28:26 pm »

Bogeymen are pretty soft, thin, or both.  Dispite being heavy hitters they are surprisingly easy to chop clean in half with a slash to the lower body.

Videonfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you should fear the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:46 pm »

I ussually push them to rivers and make them drown,but most of the times i rest on jungles and deserts(beware:cheetahs and other animals like lions will attack you if you do this but it's easy as hell if you know what to do)sometimes i even gather random stuff to throw at them e.g. pots
You just can't trust allies

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

It's even WORSE when you are trying to find a fort that isn't abandoned so you can find companions to you can STOP BEING KILLED BY THE #$#%^ BOGEYMEN!!!

Yeah, I dislike bogeymen somewhat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »

Boogeymen get lucky hits soo often and their strikes are so effective for some reason.

I mean one chipped bone and my character is practically crying out in wicked pain. That isn't to say how many times a Boogeyman was somehow able to mush my brain through several layers of armor (Since a concussion in DF means death oddly enough). Not to mention cause my breathing to stop REALLY easily by bruising my lungs (Lungs are REALLY sensative, while I've heard of people getting winded during a fight... It is a lot more serious in DF)

Honestly I havn't been able to fight more then three groups of boogeymen without dying even with experienced adventurers.

Also I found out you can just hire peasants... who actually do pretty much as good of a job as other soldiers. Heck a large group of them can take down megabeasts themselves in the most grewsome way possible.

Another problem with Boogeymen is thematic I guess... I know nothing can really be done now... but Boogeymen seem more like ninja martial artists then creatures of the dark. They punch you with REALLY strong punches that just harass your organs.

One reason I hate people with me, other then the fact that they are personalityless wastes of space who won't do a thing for themselves, is that they take my glory... Dang it I killed the dragon... you just scratched it right before it died.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:36 pm »

A few tips I've found to deal with bogeymen:
1]One of the biggest problems with fighting bogeymen (or anything at night really) is you're usually drowsy. If you think you'll have to deal with bogeymen that night sleep 4 hours starting a bit before dawn breaks, and fast travel until they ambush you.
2]Bogeyman slaying is really all about the RNG. They have the advantage by force of numbers and (usually) speed. If you're not good at wrestling/biting it's a good idea to dual wield a spear and a hacking weapon. Stab them with the spear and when it gets stuck in them, hack them to bits. You see they can't roll or jump out of the way while impaled (this is also a good way to kill peasant hordes). They're also really small so each hit should de-limb them, causing massive blood loss.
3]If you're positive you can't take them then you can stealth nearby and wait for dawn. The bogeymen won't move and if something terrible happens you're more likely to survive because you're not deadbeat drowsy.
4]Bogeymen won't initially ambush you when you sleep in: Mountains, Lairs of any type, the Coast, the Wild, and any settlement.
5]If you want to outrun the bogeymen but aren't very fast, charge any that catch up. They'll probably fall over and get a speed penalty.
6]Bogeymen corpses are really good at killing other bogeymen and they're pretty light. All bogeyman traces will disappear when the sun comes up though, so you'll need to get a new one each night ;)
7]The best way to survive a bogeyman encounter has (almost) nothing to do with armor, it's all about dodge and speed. If you use armor you'll want a very high armor use skill or it may lead to your death.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 03:42:54 am »

A few tips I've found to deal with bogeymen:
1]One of the biggest problems with fighting bogeymen (or anything at night really) is you're usually drowsy. If you think you'll have to deal with bogeymen that night sleep 4 hours starting a bit before dawn breaks, and fast travel until they ambush you.
2]Bogeyman slaying is really all about the RNG. They have the advantage by force of numbers and (usually) speed. If you're not good at wrestling/biting it's a good idea to dual wield a spear and a hacking weapon. Stab them with the spear and when it gets stuck in them, hack them to bits. You see they can't roll or jump out of the way while impaled (this is also a good way to kill peasant hordes). They're also really small so each hit should de-limb them, causing massive blood loss.
3]If you're positive you can't take them then you can stealth nearby and wait for dawn. The bogeymen won't move and if something terrible happens you're more likely to survive because you're not deadbeat drowsy.
4]Bogeymen won't initially ambush you when you sleep in: Mountains, Lairs of any type, the Coast, the Wild, and any settlement.
5]If you want to outrun the bogeymen but aren't very fast, charge any that catch up. They'll probably fall over and get a speed penalty.
6]Bogeymen corpses are really good at killing other bogeymen and they're pretty light. All bogeyman traces will disappear when the sun comes up though, so you'll need to get a new one each night ;)
7]The best way to survive a bogeyman encounter has (almost) nothing to do with armor, it's all about dodge and speed. If you use armor you'll want a very high armor use skill or it may lead to your death.
unless you craft the bogeymen corpse into an sword or item which then the item will survive sunlight.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 05:07:58 am »

As some people has said before, I have noted that biting the bogeymen to death after charging them, so they lie on the floor before the attempted attack. So, when you ecounter bogeys, Shift+C hange your preferences of attack to "charge", and tumble them to the ground, and then, bite. I'm used to bite the head or the lower body, because, at least in my world, they seem to be so small that shaking them by the lower body rips them in half. Also, if you are having problems with hitting them while they are on the floor, grab them and then bite. I remember when (playing with a adventurer that, I noticed had some levels in wrestling from biting+shaking) I grabbed one with my hand by the lower body and then i bit his head off. Like a prawn, actually, XD
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 05:26:04 am »

and any settlement

I actually had a boogyman ambush in town a few times before.

Mind you, you can just run inside to kill them... but still it is possible (and is likely the reason why you never see any homeless people. Though once again I still believe Boogeymen are in fact imaginary)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 05:32:44 am »

and any settlement

I actually had a boogyman ambush in town a few times before.

Mind you, you can just run inside to kill them... but still it is possible (and is likely the reason why you never see any homeless people. Though once again I still believe Boogeymen are in fact imaginary)
except that they can enter houses and murder every one inside if any one stupid enough to leave a door open, or you burn down their door.
imaginary creatures that murder any one and will befriend and talk to you if you change their civ number.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:34:30 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 06:44:59 am »

Ignoring the somewhat buggyness of that... it in fact makes MORE sense that they are imaginary... As it means you killed them yourself.

The fact that they ONLY show up if your alone and that no one else has ever died of a boogeyman unless you yourself set it up... likely means you are just insane.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4