Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cave crocodiles and why you will farm them  (Read 9320 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave crocodiles and why you will farm them
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 02:34:52 pm »

Leather is kind of a harder one, because no egg-laying animals (the fastest to breed) can produce any. Then, you have a choice: few animals producing lots of leather, or dozens producing two or three units?

Don't use leather for your military, i'd say. Use metals. Even copper is better than leather.
why, turkeys and geese produce leather and breed quite fast. Still, i'd not bother with it - not only copper, but even mussel shell is better

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »

...you can only ever get 1 piece of leather from an animal.  Turkey and dragon both produce 1 raw hide.  I dunno where you got the idea of a few animals producing a lot of leather...

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 03:13:06 pm »

!!!

Can you not produce leather from crocodiles? Is it possible to mod scales to be leather?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »

...you can only ever get 1 piece of leather from an animal.  Turkey and dragon both produce 1 raw hide.  I dunno where you got the idea of a few animals producing a lot of leather...
that's falling elephants who do :)
at least wild ones

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »

I thought it was like meat, you know, some animals producing more than others... Well that's what I get for not checking the wiki before saying something like that.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 03:39:23 pm »

Leather armor is much cheaper and lighter than metal for a peasant militia. Besides, why waste metal on haulers when all you really want is a pair of boots to stave off rotblooded foot fungus?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:34 pm »

To clarify: I'm using metal for armor, but still want those cloaks and hoods and quivers and stuff. I stopped using backpacks. I had more of them than military, and they would still litter bedrooms with roasts. Now they only carry flasks.

For civilian defence initiative I'd go with copper armor, copper crossbows, and bols. I use it to train armorsmiths anyway, and keep good quality ones. 

Sometimes big dismembered animals produce leather from multiple body parts, but dropping them seems like much hassle to me. Now that I have a 15z level stairstack, dropping can be considered. Especially that I have too much animals anyway.

I could use cloth for most of hoods and cloaks, but elfs barely bring any, and I don't like to make my own. Ordering every kind of lether from the liaison is the way to go then.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 03:49:46 pm »

Leather armor is much cheaper and lighter than metal for a peasant militia. Besides, why waste metal on haulers when all you really want is a pair of boots to stave off rotblooded foot fungus?
Wouldnt outfitting your entire fort require the drafting of your entire fort? As you know, they never ever wear that pair of new shiny boots they just acquired from goblinclauss.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:15 pm »

You only need to draft the ones you like.  The others, meh...  They're fresh immigrants who will die wearing their shoes - during an ambush.  It's the old ones who have worn out their shoes that matter.

On the same note, I rather like making actual shoes for those types of squads.  They wear out, giving my leathercrafter more things to do.  Sure, you could make indestructible low boots, but then what do you do after that?

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

You only need to draft the ones you like.  The others, meh...  They're fresh immigrants who will die wearing their shoes - during an ambush.  It's the old ones who have worn out their shoes that matter.

On the same note, I rather like making actual shoes for those types of squads.  They wear out, giving my leathercrafter more things to do.  Sure, you could make indestructible low boots, but then what do you do after that?
Leather cloaks and hoods always wear out. And you can always try giving them only the best. Like make tons of leather goods, keep only the masterworks, sell the rest. Then you sew even more leather or bone into them and also keep only the masterworks to give your pampered dwarfs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

I've been attempting to do just that, actually.  Make a series of boots, allowing only masterwork of a certain creature into the stockpile, and then decorating that with bone and leather and such, and only letting masterwork total quality remain.  Any that get tarnished with exceptional quality decorations go to the trade depot stockpile, to be sold in bulk or stolen by kobolds.  Then I try to get a matching pair, two boots with masterful emerald spikes, not one spike and one bands, and deck out a random peasant.

Urist McImmigrantLyeMaker has been pleased with his pimpcane recently.

Btw, I'm now modding in a very low-powered blunt weapon known as a pimp cane.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »

Btw, I'm now modding in a very low-powered blunt weapon known as a pimp cane.
Finally! A weapon fit for the sheriff!
Pages: 1 2 [3]