Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 10985 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »

Guys, a controller which can act as an almost-independant handheld console is a bit more than a simple gimmick.

I'm just saying.

We don't know to what extent it can do this, though.

From what I've read, it depends on the game. Some games can be played complety on the control, others require a mix of the two. I think it was the wired article.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »

Guys, a controller which can act as an almost-independant handheld console is a bit more than a simple gimmick.

I'm just saying.

We don't know to what extent it can do this, though.

From what I've read, it depends on the game. Some games can be played complety on the control, others require a mix of the two. I think it was the wired article.

Yeah, but I mean technically what it is actually capable of doing. We know so far:

-It is capable of receiving and displaying data from the actual game data at least to the extent of acting as a "client"
-Previously stated data may include: self-contained "minigames" (like that picture), games played with others using a controller at least partially independent of the console, and other interfaces to the game being played on the console.
-Probably some other stuff I forgot real fast but this is the most important stuff.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 01:44:05 pm »

It seems like in all cases, the game is actually running on the console box next to the TV, and the video feed is simply transmitted to the controller. It does not act as an independent console, merely a display. The fact that it has a display on it does not mean that it is capable of displaying anything in the absence of the console.
!!&!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

Yeah, thus "client". It doesn't seem to actually host any game data itself. We'll see, though, but that seems unfortunate if it is true.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:49:59 pm by freeformschooler »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:20 pm »

It seems like in all cases, the game is actually running on the console box next to the TV, and the video feed is simply transmitted to the controller. It does not act as an independent console, merely a display. The fact that it has a display on it does not mean that it is capable of displaying anything in the absence of the console.

I'm just saying.
I'm careful with my word choice.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

Soon after this is released we will see reports of this thing dropping off the Empire State Building unharmed. You know it's true. Nintendo's controllers have gotten inexplicably more unbreakable over the years.

That's because everything they make is a huge plastic brick with buttons.
Ur-Example. (The NES probably counts more, but thats neither handheld nor a controller)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:56 pm »

Weird... All of their new stuff is unbreakable, but just sticking my thumb into an SP and closing it really hard was enough to break it. Yet fires and a fall at terminal velocity will not.

I dropped my DS Lite on pavement from 6 feet up one time, it didn't break. While that's hardly "terminal", a friend opened his back too far and it snapped in half.

Nintendo confuses me.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »

Dropping an SP into a toilet kills it...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »

Soon after this is released we will see reports of this thing dropping off the Empire State Building unharmed. You know it's true. Nintendo's controllers have gotten inexplicably more unbreakable over the years.

Really?
It took my brother one day to crack that infrared-glass-thingy on the wii-mote.
Anything that requires pointing now needs our second controller.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:30:52 pm by Mindmaker »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:30 pm »

Really?
It took my brother one day to crack that infrared-glass-thingy on the wii-mote.
Anything that requires pointing now requires our second controller.

Yeah, chances this thing's screen will shatter from pressing too hard, but not from enduring a cataclysmic nuclear explosion.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 02:34:00 pm »

I remember the N64 controllers lasting ages, as long as you didn't play Mario Party with them  :-\

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 02:35:45 pm »

I'm not a Nintendo fan by any means, but this looks like it has a fair bit of potential.  I'm cautiously optimistic.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »

I remember the N64 controllers lasting ages, as long as you didn't play Mario Party with them  :-\

My palm is still caloused from that game... and I doubt all the plastic dust I've inhaled was healthy.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:38 pm »

My palm is still caloused from that game... and I doubt all the plastic dust I've inhaled was healthy.
"I damaged my N64 controller and the skin of my palm is peeling off, due to friction burns."
*remember your friends face, after he tasted defeat*
"Totally worth it."

Ah, sweet childhood memories.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 02:48:32 pm »

I remember the N64 analog sticks becoming loose after a while.

Anyway, this new thing, which I have heard called "an iPad with buttons", looks pretty interesting. It will of course be completely useless without some games making use of the features, but the possibilities are intriguing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11