Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The 67th anniversary of D-day.  (Read 5287 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The 67th anniversary of D-day.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 03:28:30 am »

I dunno, I think there are plenty of times when attacking is justified.
Yeah, we know.  We heard your oxymoronic ideas about "pre-emptive retaliatory strikes" and whatnot.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 04:22:39 am »

I am always slightly annoyed everyone remembers the anniversary of D-Day, but nobody ever mentions Monte Cassino.
We New Zealanders are still a bit embarrassed about that. We didn't mean to flatten that monastery!

Okay, actually, I'm lying. For all our military success (the Maoris were the Trope Codifier for modern trench warfare, we've committed troops to, and been successful in, a war that hadn't even started on more than one occasion, ect) the things we remember most and with the most national spirit and pride are battles like Monte Cassino, Crete and Gallipoli.

Go figure.
Similar in Poland, Monte Cassino is one of the major foci of national pride, for some strange reason. Probably just to give meaning to all those deaths.
I'm pretty sure it's the same in Germany.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 04:39:45 am »

Heck, do I need to lecture *both* sides of an argument? Fun!
Strife skips lunch and spends what little free time he has to debate on the Internets!

Firstly, there's an important note to be made about what I express as my one opinion. I'm crazy. I've got my own special brand of White-Black-Green-Blood Knightiness to me. War sucks and it's bad (in the absolute case, doesn't mean that there aren't just wars), and it's my belief that humanity will eventually rise above it (in fact, I'd put the elimination of open, violent conflict as a very good metric that humanity has overcome most of our flaws). I, however, am different. I love war. My sig right now reads "The most vivid change is the casual and workshop manner in which they now talk about killing. They have made the psychological transition from the normal belief that taking human life is sinful, over to a new professional outlook where killing is a craft. To them now there is nothing morally wrong about killing. In fact it is an admirable thing." and that's been the case with me before I became an actual soldier. I'm the rare type of moral combat seeker.

So why shouldn't I fantasize about a war where combat was direct, moreover, where sides were clear cut and what was certainly a just war? WWII had to be fought, what's wrong with me feeling like I'm in the wrong century?

War is not a cool thing as a whole, as that above Ernie Pyle quote said, it becomes a cool thing in and of itself though. Killing is it's own operational art, and there's something to be said for the sheer awesomeness (and I use the word as it should be used) of firepower. However, war is also one of the most terrible things possible. Ever seen an armored truck ablaze 15 feet high? And watched as the damn thing melted down? It's not cool. Death isn't cool.

Moreover, Cuppsworth, when you say that man gets weaker as he gets more merciful, you are incorrect. Mercy is one of the highest virtues. If anything, we should *always* try to be more merciful if we can. Just wars damn well exist, but most aren't.
War is necessary only insofar as one side is willing to use bare force to control people or things, when this condition exists (and it *does* exist), it's the job of the "good" guys (and I use this term with all due hesitance, as Armies are innately destructive and inefficient, however there's always a good guy in a just war) to stop that state of affairs, or (more commonly) mitigate it as much as possible.

And there we see that you are American, and that the battle were not happening on your ground. You'd be singing another song.
War is unnessicary if you prefer slavery to death.

Those who are anti war are not against defending yourself, but rather against attacking other.
If Hitler hadn't had the support of those who found war "patriotic" "necessary" and "manly", he wouldn't have been able to fight in the first place.

If America had degenerated to the point where non governmental groups (or governmental groups for that matter) were attacking foreign countries with the purpose of harming civilians to achieve a political goal (the academic definition of terrorism, note) then I'd damn well be fighting before anyone else got involved. Mind you, that's a mostly pointless hypothetical you've raised. Do you think that it's Iraqi who are the ones who like to try to kill me on a semi-regular basis? Do you think that Afghans are who the US is fighting in Afghanistan? Wrong and wrong. I fight Iranian trained and supplied sons of bitches, and foreign fighters are the main opponents in Afghanistan.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Iraq for related phenomena.

A militaristic mindset is a *requirement* of an effective "good" army. You say that if Germany wasn't so militaristic, WWII wouldn't have happened. I say that if the US wasn't so Isolationist, the French so unprepared, and the English so concerned with avoiding problems, WWII wouldn't have happened because Germany *never* would have been allowed to rearm while becoming so obviously evil.

Also, you poor, poor soul for finding a WWI shell casing. I'm in a desert that's been blood soaked for years, on land that was Iran's not all that long ago, get woken up by old munitions being destroyed this morning, and regularly have to worry about stepping on landmines and other remnants of war. Do you think *anywhere* *ever* recovers from it's war scars? If one stops your militarism because of a previous war being rough, then next war will always always be a harsh lesson. See WWII for the best example, but you can find it in just about every war that was preceded by a "let's be peaceful!! movement"

I dunno, I think there are plenty of times when attacking is justified.
I agree, just on the basis that there exist just wars. If a war is just, then it doesn't matter who fires first, in fact, if the "good" side (talking in terms of a lighter shade of grey in a black vs grey world) is going to gain an advantage (thereby saving lives in the long run) it's immoral for them *not* to take it. See also preventive war and preemptive war. Preemptive war (NATO is going to launching a full scale attack in 72 hours, therefore we'll have our tanks through the Fulda Gap in 48, to use my ever required Red Storm Rising example) is certainly justified, while Preventive war often is (Operation Opera, for example, or operations undertook to prevent a crazy-type regime from getting nukes).

Somehow history forgot the bloodiest campaign in Western Europe during that war.

D-Day stands for "Debarkation Day", the unnamed date on which military operation will take place. H-Hour is similar, and denotes the particular time that the operation takes place. This allows military planners to schedual timeframes relative to the day the operation begins, rather than fix the timetables to a particular date, have the enemy learn what day it is, and have to move the date and rework all the timetables and orders, ect.

Anyway, today on the 7th of June, 1942, the Imperial Japanese Navy retired from the Battle of Midway four carriers the poorer. This battle brought a balance of naval power to the Pacific that the Japanese would never again tip in their favor.

I read that the invasion of Japan was scheduled for X-Day.  What would that have stood for?

"D day has been forever removed from the lexicon for common usage but we still need a letter designation here" Day

Tl'dr
I'm crazy and like war even though it is a bad thing.
War is a bad thing.
However, there exist just wars.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 05:15:48 am »

So, why was Nazi Germany evil again? I mean, before the Holocaust had been brought up into the spotlights after the war. I'm pretty sure it couldn't be because they attacked Poland, seeing how it's basic interests were a non-issue at Yalta. Same with the annexation of Czechoslovakia. Probably not because they attacked the Soviets, as preemptive strikes seem to be a good thing, and hell, on a sliding scale of grayness vs blackness, Stalin was way darker.
The "justness" of IIWW seems to me rather strongly coloured by the winner's bias.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 05:18:55 am »

As I understand it, WWII was triggered by Germany invading everthing.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:50 am »

WWII was triggered by the Versailles treaty.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 05:20:43 am »

As I understand it, WWII was triggered by Germany invading everthing.
Yeah, because international politics are always that simple.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 06:13:02 am »

Strife26 => there is nothing special about being fascinated for war, every kid is.

One nation should always be prepared for war, but should use force as the latest option available.
    And there we see that you are American, and that the battle were not happening on your ground. You'd be singing another song.

I meant that if ww2 had happened in America, you wouldn't want to live it. Not with the possibility that your family was next under the bombs.
I'm in a desert that's been blood soaked for years, on land that was Iran's not all that long ago, get woken up by old munitions being destroyed this morning, and regularly have to worry about stepping on landmines and other remnants of war. Do you think *anywhere* *ever* recovers from it's war scars?

My point, exactly.

A militaristic mindset is a *requirement* of an effective "good" army. You say that if Germany wasn't so militaristic, WWII wouldn't have happened. I say that if the US wasn't so Isolationist, the French so unprepared, and the English so concerned with avoiding problems, WWII wouldn't have happened because Germany *never* would have been allowed to rearm while becoming so obviously evil.

No, you're wrong. France, England, and Belgium were not unprepared. We had plenty of soldiers, and equipment that cost us a fortune. I visited the forts not long ago, they are huge, and were well armed for the time. We had our ass handed to us because we were a war late.

Beside, we, in Europe had a great military mindset for centuries. And wars every 20 years or so.
Rarely a clear victor, and the next war always build over the ressentiment for the last. Is this the cycle of violence you want to perpetuate?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:35 am »

And economic depression, ideological turmoil and racism, but that mostly stemmed from Versailles so yeah.

God, what it would have been like to have lived in Germany at that time. Amazing insight into how humans work.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 06:17:53 am »

For once we agree completely.

(It's a simplification of course.)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:44 am »

Strife26 => there is nothing special about being fascinated for war, every kid is.

No, you're wrong. France, England, and Belgium were not unprepared. We had plenty of soldiers, and equipment that cost us a fortune. I visited the forts not long ago, they are huge, and were well armed for the time. We had our ass handed to us because we were a war late.

Actually, to a certain extent you're both right. The French weren't unprepared, but the anti-war sentiment was so strong at the time that their leaders made stupid mistakes in preparing that led to them getting blindsided despite their fortification. The British, possibly more so. I mean, they signed away a good chunk of Czechoslovakia without consulting the Czechs, then did nothing as Hitler straight-up invaded them and took over their extremely potent industrial capacity. It was that point when Britain should have realized Hitler wasn't ready to listen, but they were so desperate for peace, so uncaring of Eastern Europe (they discarded the Soviet Union as a valuable ally, which it certainly was, because it was Communist and well, Eastern European and look how well that went for, say, Poland) and so unaware of the Axis' strength that when war broke out, they were prepared to face a Germany and Italian force far weaker that what they actually were.

I'm speaking with less certainty now but I think America being isolationist wasn't really going to change without the massive kick up the butt following Pearl Harbor, seeing as the feeling in the US was that they'd saved everyone's asses in the first World War and then took on some of Germany's debt and suffered through the Great Depression with having to support Germany without so much as a thank you. They had no reason to get involved until Hitler allied with Japan.

So to, uh, to summarize (jeez I write a lot when I'm interested) my opinion would be that the US not being isolationist wasn't really gonna happen and so isn't worth dwelling upon, but France could have been more pro-active about Germany and Britain could have cared less about itself and more about preserving peace in Europe as a whole and if they'd done so they would have been able to put up a far more effective defense against the Germans.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 07:49:44 am »

War is necessary only insofar as one side is willing to use bare force to control people or things, when this condition exists (and it *does* exist), it's the job of the "good" guys (and I use this term with all due hesitance, as Armies are innately destructive and inefficient, however there's always a good guy in a just war) [...]
No. I know you said you hesitated to use the word, but I can not stress this enough: While there are wars that are necessary insofar that they are unavoidable, and wars that might be called just, there is never a "good" guy in a war. Whenever killing people becomes a reality, your side loses all claims they might have of being "good", no matter the reason for why they're killing.

[...]
 See WWII for the best example, but you can find it in just about every war that was preceded by a "let's be peaceful!! movement"
This is just obvious nonsense. Even if it was true, which it is not, it should be equally clear that every war was preceded by a "let's be warful!! movement".

Furthermore, you do realise that the only reason western Europe has not broken down into another war is that these last 70 years has been framed by such a movement of peace, co-operation and mutual benefit? I'm not saying that's going to last forever - nothing does - but that is pretty much the record for the region. Had not France, Germany and Britain and all the minor players been willing to put aside centuries worth of hate, aggression and conflict and work together, no such lasting peace could ever have been built.

And how about this: Up until our dear little Afghani war, Sweden had not been in one for over 200 years. And this is not only because our glorified "neutrality", it is also because Sweden made an effort not to go to war. When Norway demanded independence from the Swedish-Norwegian union, for example, the Scandinavian peninsula were inches from eruption (or collapsing) into flames, with Sweden's own king and head-of-state publicly propagating for war (despite being bound by law to not make any political opinions heard), and yet we decided peace was more gainful, and left the last, pitiful little memories of greatness behind.

And lastly, Germany wasn't very "obviously evil", especially not in comparison to the countries it would later end up fighting. Antisemitism was rampant in both Europe and the USA, and the only reason such sentiment became something horrible or even undesirable was because the Enemy was doing it - the Holocaust could easily have ended up being perpetrated in any of the Allied countries, had it not happened in Germany. Eugenics, racial and/or national "hygiene", and other practices in the same race-biological spirit was was well established in all of these countries, America's own eugenic policies even inspired the Nazis in this regard. What we look back in horror of today was considered normal and benefitual (to the race/country/nation or any combination of these) back then, and only became bad when people needed something to morally rally behind against the Enemy.

I agree, just on the basis that there exist just wars. If a war is just, then it doesn't matter who fires first, in fact, if the "good" side (talking in terms of a lighter shade of grey in a black vs grey world) is going to gain an advantage (thereby saving lives in the long run) it's immoral for them *not* to take it. See also preventive war and preemptive war. Preemptive war (NATO is going to launching a full scale attack in 72 hours, therefore we'll have our tanks through the Fulda Gap in 48, to use my ever required Red Storm Rising example) is certainly justified, while Preventive war often is (Operation Opera, for example, or operations undertook to prevent a crazy-type regime from getting nukes).
There are wars that might be called just, I won't argue with that. The most "just" of all wars, though, are the one fought to defend oneself from an active attacker. It very much matters who makes the first move. By attacking first, even if it's possible it might save lives in the end, your "good" side makes it "just" for the defenders to fight you. With all that entails.

Strife skips lunch and spends what little free time he has to debate on the Internets!
You shouldn't, man. It's not fair to make us argue with you and worry about you at the same time. It makes my conscience all funny.
Love, scriver~

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 10:42:34 am »

People didn't just accept the murder and maltreatment of the Jews, Hitler had to indoctrinate the German people into believing that the Jews were evil and subhuman and that the deprivation of their rights and the mass murder of them was a good thing. Even then, I'm pretty sure not everybody supported the idea. It's like there was still widespread racism in the early 1900s, it doesn't mean that a government would have slaughtered millions of people of different races. Hitler was a blindly hating fascist and he used his power to impose his ideas of social Darwinism and anti-Semitism upon the German people.

I'm tired, so that might now have come across as I intended it to.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:24 pm »

So, why was Nazi Germany evil again? I mean, before the Holocaust had been brought up into the spotlights after the war. I'm pretty sure it couldn't be because they attacked Poland, seeing how it's basic interests were a non-issue at Yalta. Same with the annexation of Czechoslovakia. Probably not because they attacked the Soviets, as preemptive strikes seem to be a good thing, and hell, on a sliding scale of grayness vs blackness, Stalin was way darker.
The "justness" of IIWW seems to me rather strongly coloured by the winner's bias.

Because Yalta was fucked up, therefore Poland and Czechoslovakia don't matter? I'm not sure if I follow that line of reasoning. The USSR was as bad as Nazi Germany, true, however that doesn't change the fact that said Nazi Germany was directly invading peoples in an attempt to TAKE OVER EUROPE (a successful one at that) makes them the worse of the two evils, at least Stalin was willing to kinda help out. Enemy of my enemy and all.

Let's see Germany took all of central Europe, Invaded the USSR, steamrolled Belgium, stormed France, and bombed Britian. That's close enough to invading everything for Breadbock's sentiment to be true.

I'm not going to dignify that with a response more than that I'd expect better than that sort of attack from you.

One nation should always be prepared for war, but should use force as the latest option available.

I meant that if ww2 had happened in America, you wouldn't want to live it. Not with the possibility that your family was next under the bombs.

In WWII? Fuck yeah I'd like to be there. If in your hypothetical, the tide of the war is so desperate that we're looking at invasion of US homeland, than I damn well want to be there, because violent types like me are exactly what would be needed.
The idea that one nation should have a powerful army to keep the order hasn't and doesn't work. That's what America's tried to do. We were okay at it when there was a the threat of the soviets and europe at our back, but now that there isn't an opposition, it's *breaking* us. Look at how fucked up the world's sole hyperpower is now. The only way for a power based equilibrium to remain in place would be for there to be several powers, all that are at least semi-moral. Which doesn't work well in practice, because it'd take an awful big unmorality to get them moving (see Darfur).

I'm in a desert that's been blood soaked for years, on land that was Iran's not all that long ago, get woken up by old munitions being destroyed this morning, and regularly have to worry about stepping on landmines and other remnants of war. Do you think *anywhere* *ever* recovers from it's war scars?

My point, exactly.
[/quote]

So why do you think that it's a fair complaint that you found an old shell casing? Big bloody deal man, you can find war remnants everywhere you go.

No, I'm right. Europe wasn't prepared to fight the war that they needed to fight. France and Belgium clearly weren't doing what they should have been while England only geared up at the last moment (America was no different, note)

Beside, we, in Europe had a great military mindset for centuries. And wars every 20 years or so.
Rarely a clear victor, and the next war always build over the ressentiment for the last. Is this the cycle of violence you want to perpetuate?
Not really, Europe's great military mindset was always based on wars fought over stuff. Land, titles, power. Not morals, and certainly not defense of people or justice.

And economic depression, ideological turmoil and racism, but that mostly stemmed from Versailles so yeah.

God, what it would have been like to have lived in Germany at that time. Amazing insight into how humans work.
http://www.galactanet.com/comic/view.php?strip=267
Seriously though, Versailles is a very good example of what *not* to do after you've won the "War to end all Wars."
Best example of why there must be compassion and mercy in victory.

War is necessary only insofar as one side is willing to use bare force to control people or things, when this condition exists (and it *does* exist), it's the job of the "good" guys (and I use this term with all due hesitance, as Armies are innately destructive and inefficient, however there's always a good guy in a just war) [...]
No. I know you said you hesitated to use the word, but I can not stress this enough: While there are wars that are necessary insofar that they are unavoidable, and wars that might be called just, there is never a "good" guy in a war. Whenever killing people becomes a reality, your side loses all claims they might have of being "good", no matter the reason for why they're killing.
That depends on one's definition of good. To bring myself up again, I'm a horrible, violent person. Certainly not "good," that doesn't mean that I can't do good things with my life. In a just war, one side is justified, making them the "good" guys.

[...]
 See WWII for the best example, but you can find it in just about every war that was preceded by a "let's be peaceful!! movement"
This is just obvious nonsense. Even if it was true, which it is not, it should be equally clear that every war was preceded by a "let's be warful!! movement".

Furthermore, you do realise that the only reason western Europe has not broken down into another war is that these last 70 years has been framed by such a movement of peace, co-operation and mutual benefit? I'm not saying that's going to last forever - nothing does - but that is pretty much the record for the region. Had not France, Germany and Britain and all the minor players been willing to put aside centuries worth of hate, aggression and conflict and work together, no such lasting peace could ever have been built.
Peaceful? Really? Why did France, Germany, and Britain all work together after WWII? I'd, without a doubt, argue that it's because they were smart enough to see that repeating the mistakes of Versailles would be a very bad thing (see Marshal Plan instead), but most importantly a really big red star. Europe was reforged on the basis of worrying about Communism and the USSR. If that's peaceful, then I'll start referring to my brigade as "3rd Advise and Assist Brigade" instead of "Heavy Brigade Combat Team Grey Wolf"
I'd also contend that "Let's be warful" is usually more of "Shit. War's abrewing and we've disarmed ourselves in the meantime (as it's a near-universal truth, whenever you win a war, slash the army down, then hurriedly build it up on the old plans once the next one is apparent)"
And how about this: Up until our dear little Afghani war, Sweden had not been in one for over 200 years. And this is not only because our glorified "neutrality", it is also because Sweden made an effort not to go to war. When Norway demanded independence from the Swedish-Norwegian union, for example, the Scandinavian peninsula were inches from eruption (or collapsing) into flames, with Sweden's own king and head-of-state publicly propagating for war (despite being bound by law to not make any political opinions heard), and yet we decided peace was more gainful, and left the last, pitiful little memories of greatness behind.
And that's great for Scandinavia. But where's the use of force to control something? There's nothing wrong with a nation-state not being a wartime power (heck if I don't love Sweden and Lichtenstein), but only as far as someone else is there to protect them (or that they are able to protect themselves) from outside aggressors. However, if everyone was neutral like that, who'd correct abuses in the darker corners of the world? Make no mistake, evil happens, and damn little usually happens before it becomes a full war.

And lastly, Germany wasn't very "obviously evil", especially not in comparison to the countries it would later end up fighting. Antisemitism was rampant in both Europe and the USA, and the only reason such sentiment became something horrible or even undesirable was because the Enemy was doing it - the Holocaust could easily have ended up being perpetrated in any of the Allied countries, had it not happened in Germany. Eugenics, racial and/or national "hygiene", and other practices in the same race-biological spirit was was well established in all of these countries, America's own eugenic policies even inspired the Nazis in this regard. What we look back in horror of today was considered normal and benefitual (to the race/country/nation or any combination of these) back then, and only became bad when people needed something to morally rally behind against the Enemy.
Come on. That's not even a good use of slippery slope argument. We didn't, they did. What more do you want? If America had slipped down the path of that sort of insanity, it'd be the responsibility of the rest of the world to stop us.

There are wars that might be called just, I won't argue with that. The most "just" of all wars, though, are the one fought to defend oneself from an active attacker. It very much matters who makes the first move. By attacking first, even if it's possible it might save lives in the end, your "good" side makes it "just" for the defenders to fight you. With all that entails.
That is the main problem with preemptive warfare. Not much of a way around it, other than the fact that hopefully one side is obviously anti-humanitarian. Else, there gets to be a point where the issue is grey enough that the attackers shouldn't be attacking.

You shouldn't, man. It's not fair to make us argue with you and worry about you at the same time. It makes my conscience all funny.
[/quote]

If it helps, the event that came right after said debating made me throw up anyway, so no real harm was done by my skipping lunch.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »

Because Yalta was fucked up, therefore Poland and Czechoslovakia don't matter? I'm not sure if I follow that line of reasoning. The USSR was as bad as Nazi Germany, true, however that doesn't change the fact that said Nazi Germany was directly invading peoples in an attempt to TAKE OVER EUROPE (a successful one at that) makes them the worse of the two evils, at least Stalin was willing to kinda help out. Enemy of my enemy and all.

Let's see Germany took all of central Europe, Invaded the USSR, steamrolled Belgium, stormed France, and bombed Britian. That's close enough to invading everything for Breadbock's sentiment to be true.
Hindsight.  It's something people didn't have at the time.

For clarification, I mean that it's odd to justify the idea that Nazi Germany was "obviously evil" when it was rearming with stuff they did after they had already rearmed.  We can look back and say it was silly of England/ France/ whoever to let Germany rearm based on what later came to light, but they didn't necessarily have that information, and there was strong anti-Jewish sentiment throughout the western world anyway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:58:23 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5