Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The 67th anniversary of D-day.  (Read 5304 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 67th anniversary of D-day.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:56 am »

At some point, someone will bring up WARZ ARE EVUL GUISE, we'll segue into a discussion of Just War Theory, which will either be ended by flames and a lock or by the Just War side winning (as that's one of those arguments that I *won't* lose), either way the war memorial thread will have lost enough steam to stop.

Yeah, honestly, I really think that I was born in the wrong year. Much rather that I was back then and fighting rather than here and now.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:45 am »

I am always slightly annoyed everyone remembers the anniversary of D-Day, but nobody ever mentions Monte Cassino.

Holy shit! Just read the casualty numbers.

TWENTY DIVISIONS ASSAULTED A HILL.

Blows my freaking mind.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 06:22:54 am »

I am always slightly annoyed everyone remembers the anniversary of D-Day, but nobody ever mentions Monte Cassino.

Holy shit! Just read the casualty numbers.

TWENTY DIVISIONS ASSAULTED A HILL.

Blows my freaking mind.

In Soviet Russia, twenty divisions assault you!

(Okay, maybe not twenty. Still....Supreme Glorious Badassness of the Workers. And too good a joke to pass up.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 06:32:21 am »

Yeah, honestly, I really think that I was born in the wrong year. Much rather that I was back then and fighting rather than here and now.

Yeah, because war is cool and all, right?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 07:01:01 am »

Yeah, because war is cool and all, right?

No, because Strife is an actual soldier. In a war zone. Albeit one where rather than shooting at the guys shooting at you, you try not to get killed by the bombs they left in the road.

I can understand the wistfulness for a stand-up fight.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 08:11:07 am »

I too feel this way often, mostly because man gets weaker every generation. And allows for mercy for the stupid one that brought their problems on themselves.

And anyone who says that all war is unnecessary, well, you just lost the argument by saying so. There's really not much of a way to recover from that.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:52 am »

I too feel this way often, mostly because man gets weaker every generation. And allows for mercy for the stupid one that brought their problems on themselves.

And anyone who says that all war is unnecessary, well, you just lost the argument by saying so. There's really not much of a way to recover from that.

War is not the only form of disagreement.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:22 am »

The irony of you saying this in a thread commemorating the war against the Nazis. It burns. Severly.

Great logic. Bulletproof argument. You claim something - therefore you lose!
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 12:31:52 pm »

Great logic. Bulletproof argument. You claim something - therefore you lose!
This argument will quickly wreck society if it becomes widespread.  Soon, everything we think we know will be destroyed by the fact we claimed it to be true.  We must stop this argument from escaping.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 05:35:25 pm »

War is unnessicary if you prefer slavery to death.

THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR TWO!

The cruiser-turned-aircraft carrier HMS Glorious was sunk on June 8th, 1940 by the German battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in what amounted to a disaster for the Royal Navy, with 1,200 lives lost. It is estimated 900 men abandoned the cruiser, but due to a lack of radio communication (compounded by the only ship to hear the radio signals carrying the King of Norway and being under stict radio silence to prevent him from being the next German target) nearly all hands perished. News of the carrier's sinking did not, in fact, reach the Admiralty through Royal Navy communications but through a German broadcasts.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 10:22:29 pm »

We New Zealanders are still a bit embarrassed about that. We didn't mean to flatten that monastery!

Okay, actually, I'm lying. For all our military success (the Maoris were the Trope Codifier for modern trench warfare, we've committed troops to, and been successful in, a war that hadn't even started on more than one occasion, ect) the things we remember most and with the most national spirit and pride are battles like Monte Cassino, Crete and Gallipoli.

Go figure.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:56 am »

Crete? Crete was a phyrric victory. Don't be so hard on yourselves.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:22:36 am »

Adolf, is that you?

At some point, someone will bring up WARZ ARE EVUL GUISE, we'll segue into a discussion of Just War Theory, which will either be ended by flames and a lock or by the Just War side winning (as that's one of those arguments that I *won't* lose), either way the war memorial thread will have lost enough steam to stop.

And there we see that you are American, and that the battle were not happening on your ground. You'd be singing another song.
War is unnessicary if you prefer slavery to death.

Those who are anti war are not against defending yourself, but rather against attacking other.
If Hitler hadn't had the support of those who found war "patriotic" "necessary" and "manly", he wouldn't have been able to fight in the first place.

On a related note, I dug up yet another bullet from the ground the other day, German made, dating from the winter of 1917.
The soil of Europe is full of scar of these incessant, stupid wars. Excuse me for not partaking your enjoyment of bloodshed.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:32:38 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 01:29:21 am »

I dunno, I think there are plenty of times when attacking is justified.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 02:15:21 am »

Somehow history forgot the bloodiest campaign in Western Europe during that war.

D-Day stands for "Debarkation Day", the unnamed date on which military operation will take place. H-Hour is similar, and denotes the particular time that the operation takes place. This allows military planners to schedual timeframes relative to the day the operation begins, rather than fix the timetables to a particular date, have the enemy learn what day it is, and have to move the date and rework all the timetables and orders, ect.

Anyway, today on the 7th of June, 1942, the Imperial Japanese Navy retired from the Battle of Midway four carriers the poorer. This battle brought a balance of naval power to the Pacific that the Japanese would never again tip in their favor.

I read that the invasion of Japan was scheduled for X-Day.  What would that have stood for?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5