Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Happiness / Spiral of fun  (Read 5484 times)

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Happiness / Spiral of fun
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:12:22 am »

My beautiful fortress seems to be in a spiral towards fun : some dwarves died, their friends went berserk and were taken out by the military, and now their friends are too throwing tantrums !

Is the game maybe a little too harsh on dwarves that have a friend die ? It punishes you for letting them have friends/family... A dwarf with many friends should be consoled, not throw more tantrums !

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Happiness / Spiral of fun
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:18:23 am »

Losing is Fun

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:52:48 am »

I actuly need help to start my happyness spiral  ::)
i made all my dwarf freind everyone and then i dropped some of them down a 20z tunnel and all of them got sad but they did not go insane and when i took a look ALL of them dont care about anything anymore  :-\
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

EvilMoogle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:03:59 am »

And here I thought this was going to be an actual spiral of happiness.  Two idle dwarves start talking, throw a party, and eventually the entire fort is partying without doing any work!  Thus adding potential punishments for dwarves being too happy.

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:02 am »

So I guess my suggestions are
  • lower the impact of a friend's death on happiness, or have the number of friends counter the sadness. (in most games socializing is a good thing)
  • implement a way to raise happiness : throw a party, order everybody to drink beer, etc.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:21:53 am »

I actuly need help to start my happyness spiral  ::)
i made all my dwarf freind everyone and then i dropped some of them down a 20z tunnel and all of them got sad but they did not go insane and when i took a look ALL of them dont care about anything anymore  :-\

point is, dwarf get happy thoughts if they get to speak to friends actually...so if you kill some, but the others chat, all fine. it's worse if only one dwarf is friend to everyone, and he dies...>.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:59 am »

Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
[Signature]

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:09 am »

• lower the impact of a friend's death on happiness, or have the number of friends counter the sadness. (in most games socializing is a good thing)
  • implement a way to raise happiness : throw a party, order everybody to drink beer, etc.
Making the game easier would be incredibly bad.

And they already do those things, by themselves.  This is no Settlers VI.

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:14:17 am »

They should add random crashes for you.

Norwegian Chris

• Bay Watcher
  • My fore-fathers invented Dwarves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:36:24 pm »

Sigged  :D

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:29:13 pm »

They should add random crashes for you.
If you're doing it right they stay sane until a master axegoblin runs the gantlet and kills all the children.

Also, I don't think the Great Toadish One In The Sky has time to program random crashes for one person.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »

Sigged  :D

Sigged your Sigg
Sigged

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:42:32 pm »

The second is called "Large dining room with decent furniture."
Seriously, if dwarves cared any less, there would be no accidental tantrum spirals except be new players and some unlucky starting forts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:17:46 am »

Haven't you learned yet, ?
Legendary dining rooms cure all problems.

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 04:57:52 am »

I don't think the Great Toadish One In The Sky has time to program random crashes for one person.

:)
Pages: [1] 2