Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857543 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11685 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:13 pm »

In other words, it does effectively replace the Windows password, in terms of access to the computer. That is extremely terrible. A text password is better than that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: February 20, 2012, 09:35:23 pm »

In other words, it does effectively replace the Windows password, in terms of access to the computer. That is extremely terrible. A text password is better than that.
Ah, yeah, confused replace with replace there.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:22 pm »

A fingerprint reader would be better then face-recognition, in terms of biometrics replacing a password. My laptop has one, it's bad-ass.

Somebody might get a hold of a password, or a picture (or you're evil twin could pose as you), but they are going to have a problem getting a hold of somebody's index finger. Even better if the biometric reader can sense if the finger is still attached to a person.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:12 pm »

A fingerprint reader would be better then face-recognition, in terms of biometrics replacing a password. My laptop has one, it's bad-ass.

Somebody might get a hold of a password, or a picture (or you're evil twin could pose as you), but they are going to have a problem getting a hold of somebody's index finger. Even better if the biometric reader can sense if the finger is still attached to a person.

Dr. Lector would like a word with you..

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:52 pm »

There's no 100% perfect form of security.

If you can get in, someone else can.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: February 20, 2012, 11:40:17 pm »

But can they get back out?

....Yes, but only because mantraps are illegal. If I had it my way my computer would take a page out of Jigsaw's handbook if someone who isn't me tried to mess with it and doesn't know things only I know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: February 20, 2012, 11:49:55 pm »

Indeed, if someone wants to get into something they will get into it. 

Now, in terms of electronic security, it would involve keeping a whole system off-line. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:45 am »

This is missing the point. Yes, there is no form of perfect security; this is a non-controversial point, and not a very useful point to make. The fact is that some forms of security are much, much better than others, and this is a fact worth discussing.

As far as facial recognition software is concerned: That plus a password is better than no password at all, because it's essentially two-factor security. Two-factor security where the additional factor isn't that hard to break, but it's still an improvement.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:25 am »

This is missing the point. Yes, there is no form of perfect security; this is a non-controversial point, and not a very useful point to make. The fact is that some forms of security are much, much better than others, and this is a fact worth discussing.
It was mostly in response to the fingerprint analysis thing (what if they cut off his finger!?). I'm not making a nirvana fallacy :P

Related to conversation at hand! Maybe.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:26 am »

Or you could just admit that you were wrong and learn something.
At this point I think you are trying to argue because of emotion, not logic. You have closed your mind to rational thought, as people do when they get upset. That is why creationists say the crazy things they say, it is just what people do when they get defensive. There is no reason to continue a debate on an otherwise pleasant thread when I have offered to take it where it should go, so please show some curtsy?

Now, I have met a gipsy in real life, or at least he called himself that. Lulo Reinhardt, great nephew of some what world known Django Reinhardt, considers it to be a culture, not a slur.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: February 21, 2012, 07:29:20 am »

Max, the only one being stubbornly "illogical" here is you.

Jean "Django" Reinhardt[2] was born 23 January 1910 in Liberchies, Pont-à-Celles, Belgium, into a family of Manouche gypsies. Reinhardt's nickname "Django" is Romani for "I awake."[3]

The word "ethnicity" includes culture, and the word "gypsy", or it's counterparts in other language ("tattare" and derivatives of "zigenare" in Swedish, by the way), are slurs, just like "nigger" is.
Love, scriver~

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: February 21, 2012, 07:30:59 am »

So why would somebody try to insult them self?

EDIT: Seriously, I'm looking at an online dictionary...
4. A person who moves from place to place as required for employment, especially:
a. A part-time or temporary member of a college faculty.
b. A member of the chorus line in a theater production.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Gypsy

No mention of ethnic slurs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: February 21, 2012, 07:49:51 am »

Gypsy is just the name of the race/ethnicity, as far as I know. It'd be like claiming "Jew" is a racial slur.

Now, "gypped" can certainly be considered one, though 'round here it's just a synonym for "ripped off." Not many gypsies in the midwest USA but I'd probably avoid using the word in Europe.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:52:20 am by kaijyuu »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: February 21, 2012, 07:56:06 am »

Gypsy is just the name of the race/ethnicity, as far as I know. It'd be like claiming "Jew" is a racial slur.

Not strictly true. Romani people often consider "gypsy" a slur in itself because of the negative connotations and stereotypes associated with it, plus its watered-down usage (such as referring to people of other ethnicity/culture with a wandering or otherwise stereotypical "gypsy" lifestyle)

Now, "gypped" can certainly be considered one, though 'round here it's just a synonym for "ripped off." Not many gypsies in the midwest USA but I'd probably avoid using the word in Europe.

Yeah, "gypped" is basically the same kind of slur as "jewed", and basically synonymous with it.

Also, you're forgetting that this was originally less about whether "gypsy" was inherently a slur, and more about whether or not it was being used as one. See: My analogy regarding Mexicans. "Mexican" isn't a slur, but you're still slurring them if you use it to refer to anyone who's an itinerant farm worker.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: February 21, 2012, 07:56:47 am »

edit: accidental double post
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 852