Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857545 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11670 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »

North Korea pretty much depicts Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong-il, and (much less so) Kim Jong-un as gods, so I wouldn't exactly say State Atheism applies there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: February 20, 2012, 04:25:56 pm »

Charity advert only viewable by women in effort to raise aweareness of gender inequality in developing nations...

Its an original approach.

I wish all advertisements worked like this, for me at least.

North Korea pretty much depicts Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong-il, and (much less so) Kim Jong-un as gods, so I wouldn't exactly say State Atheism applies there.

Yes, they do have that bizarre cult-of-personality propaganda-mysticism thing going on, but I'm not really sure you could classify that as a religion, or I don't even know what the hell you'd call it, really.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: February 20, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »

Yes, they do have that bizarre cult-of-personality propaganda-mysticism thing going on, but I'm not really sure you could classify that as a religion, or I don't even know what the hell you'd call it, really.
Sure you can classify it as a religion. It's a supernatural explanation for reality, that being: "Kim Il-sung created the world, all hail the Eternal President."
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

Yes but the UK is the most is actually the most atheistic country in the world
I'm pretty sure that title would be better applied to Sweden or Estonia.

Norway and Czechia, actually, as far as I can remember at least. Sweden is at the top of non-religious, but a bit further down on atheist ones because of personal belief.

Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: February 20, 2012, 07:02:39 pm »

Charity advert only viewable by women in effort to raise aweareness of gender inequality in developing nations...

Err, don't really see a point to it.

Is it supposed to be hitting men with "hey we're discriminating against you by not showing you our advertisement! How does it feel, bucko?" 'Cause if so, that'll be utterly ineffectual. Men aren't strangers to discrimination; just strangers to the magnitude if discrimination women get (generally speaking). An advertisement is obviously something of low magnitude, so...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: February 20, 2012, 07:06:03 pm »

North Korea is basically Ancient Egypt.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: February 20, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

It's amazing how far image recognition technology has gotten. How much longer do you think it will be before they can find individual faces?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:56 pm »

I haven't tried it, but my laptop, and indeed most middle-prized laptops from what I saw when I was shopping for it, is supposed o have some sort of face-recognition lock on them. So I'd say it's already possible, to an extent at least.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: February 20, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »

90% doesn't seem that great to me really.  That'd be a fair number of women not seeing the advert and men seeing it.  And worse it could make something of a value judgment on those it regards as "not male/female enough".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »

It's amazing how far image recognition technology has gotten. How much longer do you think it will be before they can find individual faces?
Given the state of the white tech version, the black tech version can probably already identify anyone who has visual presence in an accessible electronic database.
No Gods, No Masters.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: February 20, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »

I haven't tried it, but my laptop, and indeed most middle-prized laptops from what I saw when I was shopping for it, is supposed o have some sort of face-recognition lock on them. So I'd say it's already possible, to an extent at least.
I've got it on mine but never gotten it to work.

Oh, it recognises my face just fine. But the software is crap. It's over the top of a regular windows login screen and simply enters a password stored in an encrypted database. A password that can only be (I think) 15 characters long. My current password is 30+ characters.

It also turns on my webcam every time I start up the laptop from sleep, even though I've disabled it on startup. Probably going to just uninstall the software soon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:11 pm »

I have tape over my integrated web camera. People do hack into them (in fact, there is an entire subreddit on reddit for watching through other people's webcams that have been cracked), and although mine lights up when its on I still don't want to risk it.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: February 20, 2012, 09:16:10 pm »

I've got it on mine but never gotten it to work.

Oh, it recognises my face just fine. But the software is crap. It's over the top of a regular windows login screen and simply enters a password stored in an encrypted database. A password that can only be (I think) 15 characters long. My current password is 30+ characters.

It also turns on my webcam every time I start up the laptop from sleep, even though I've disabled it on startup. Probably going to just uninstall the software soon.

Not to mention it's security that could be breached by simply having a photo of you held up to the camera. Granted, someone who stole your laptop wouldn't have that, but someone else certainly could. Still better than a Windows password alone, I guess.

... Or does it effectively replace the Windows user password? If that's what you mean, that is terrible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30:03 pm »

... Or does it effectively replace the Windows user password? If that's what you mean, that is terrible.
Nah, you have to give it your Windows password which it then stores in an encrypted file (I guess database is too strong a word...) which then only that program has access to. It's just that it can't store anything longer than 15 or whatever characters.

Like I said, I played with it enough to realise it could recognise my face and not store what I consider a secure but memorable password, then looked for ways to get it out of my way without completely nuking it. This is the software for those interested.
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 852