Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857654 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11625 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »

Well, I just learned the US uses uranium in it's missiles. I'm so fucking horrified right now I don't know what to say. Except, you know, fuck you, America.
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11626 on: February 19, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »

Well, I just learned the US uses uranium in it's missiles. I'm so fucking horrified right now I don't know what to say. Except, you know, fuck you, America.

I really hope that's depleted uranium used solely for its greater density and weight.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11627 on: February 19, 2012, 04:59:09 pm »

You don't usually ever get that sick in western nations, though.
It happens though. I got really badly ill from mono when I was ~10 (my doctor thought that I may have also caught the flu at the same time).

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11628 on: February 19, 2012, 05:06:53 pm »

Don't worry about radiation. With depleted Uranium the blast zone will be saturated with aerosolized depleted uranium dust that creates a long term potentially lethal heavy metal poisoning hazard not only in the targeted area, but on the equipment and personnel that handle it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11629 on: February 19, 2012, 05:07:43 pm »

Uranium in non-nuclear weapons is usually there for the weight or it's incendiary properties. Sure, it's mildly radioactive and toxic, but due to the relatively low weight of the ammo and it's tendency to turn to dust upon combustion, that's only a concern for those handling it. Also, no one is going to use enriched uranium (the variant that would be more radioactive) since uranium enrichment is expensive and it adds nothing (the effects of radioactivity would take far too long to manifest in a combat situation and the amount of uranium necessary to cause radiation poisoning would be impractical and dangerous to handle)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11630 on: February 19, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »

I really hope that's depleted uranium used solely for its greater density and weight.

British and US forces have been using this stuff for years in the middle east in all kinds of small arms and heavy weapons - its bad news as not only is it still quite radioactive (only about 60% of more fissile Uranium) but also highly toxic. Consider how many rounds NATO forces will have spent in Iraq and Afghanistan - a few missiles here and there will be a drop in the ocean, where the ocean in this case is a weakly alpha particle emitting toxic metal.

Edit - double ninja.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11631 on: February 19, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »

DU has almost zero radiation risk, its entire hazard is from heavy metal poisoning.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11632 on: February 19, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »

DU has almost zero radiation risk, its entire hazard is from heavy metal poisoning.

You are kidding right? It emits alpha particles, which granted only travel a few cm in air and wont penetrate anything, but getting this stuff on your skin is not a good idea. Not just that but its decay products are Beta emitters...
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11633 on: February 19, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »

I'm not worrying about radiation, the poisoning is bad enough. Watched a French documentary on Fallujah. The consequences there are fucking worse than those of Hiroshima.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11634 on: February 19, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »

You are kidding right? It emits alpha particles, which granted only travel a few cm in air and wont penetrate anything, but getting this stuff on your skin is not a good idea. Not just that but its decay products are Beta emitters...

I'm not kidding. There are 3 natural isotopes of uranium U-238, U-235 and U-234. Natural Uranium is over 99.27% U-238, depleted uranium is even more pure. U-238 has a half life of nearly 4.5 BILLION years, it is nearly radiologically inert for practical purposes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11635 on: February 19, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »

Vector: If you're planning on taking a break from the forum, would you mind appointing someone to kindof look after the thread in your absence (like maybe lock this one and have them control their own "mirror" while you're gone).  Since having a thread looker after is probably preferable to dragging Toady One in every now and again (and possibly getting the thread perma-locked).  I'd nominate one of Truean or Bauglir for the role personally.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11636 on: February 19, 2012, 05:45:32 pm »

...Most everything emits alpha particles. Even you. The heavy metal poisoning is a problem, but is only somewhat worse than if they used powdered lead. (Which they sometimes do.)

I'm not worrying about radiation, the poisoning is bad enough. Watched a French documentary on Fallujah. The consequences there are fucking worse than those of Hiroshima.
I seriously doubt that these are going to erase a major industrialized trading port from any maps. Perhaps the health risks afterwards may be worse, but there is no massive, fiery obliteration.

Not saying that this isn't a bad thing, just saying that I think you're blowing this out of proportion, guys.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11637 on: February 19, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »

I'm leaving for an unknown amount of time in about a week or so and, if all goes well, probably will not be coming back... for years, if I ever do return.  Please take care of yourselves.  I'm sure you can keep your heads, but as this is one of the few things I've felt I did well here, I hope it keeps on being useful.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11638 on: February 19, 2012, 05:54:53 pm »

That's probably because the authorities in Hiroshima quickly figured out what happened and reacted accordingly. The authorities in Fallujah can't even put up a poster, let alone stage a system of public health checks, quarantining and cleanups.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11639 on: February 19, 2012, 05:56:49 pm »

I'm leaving for an unknown amount of time in about a week or so and, if all goes well, probably will not be coming back... for years, if I ever do return.  Please take care of yourselves.  I'm sure you can keep your heads, but as this is one of the few things I've felt I did well here, I hope it keeps on being useful.
What? You can't leave us Vector, not in our hour of need! You were meant to save us Vector, not tear us apart, that is what a hero does!
Ok sorry, I'll be more serious about this. But really, do you have to go? We will all miss you.
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 852