Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857906 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11505 on: February 16, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/arsenic-found-brown-rice-syrup-organic-foods-baby-185300194.html

Let's all poison the babies! Yeah?
Let me guess, China?

USA! USA! USA! :P

We don't need the EPA, right?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:44:21 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: February 16, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »

I sense an impending doom when this thread has dug too deep and awoken a sleeping Vector.  :-\
We are threading on sacred Hilbert space here.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/arsenic-found-brown-rice-syrup-organic-foods-baby-185300194.html

Let's all poison the babies! Yeah? Fetuses have rights but once they're born poison is A-OK!
Actually, we're talking about organic foods here. Nobody added the arsenic to it in any form. Instead, the rice crops were grown on ground that was high in arsenic (due to natural reasons, or because of nearby industry that is or used to dump their waste) and apparently someone forgot to check for it. It's not active poisoning, though it's clearly criminal neglegence.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: February 16, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »

I sense an impending doom when this thread has dug too deep and awoken a sleeping Vector.  :-\

Let's all poison the babies! Yeah? Fetuses have rights but once they're born poison is A-OK!
Actually, we're talking about organic foods here. Nobody added the arsenic to it in any form. Instead, the rice crops were grown on ground that was high in arsenic (due to natural reasons, or because of nearby industry that is or used to dump their waste) and apparently someone forgot to check for it. It's not active poisoning, though it's clearly criminal neglegence.

or because of nearby industry that is or used to dump their waste

:) Didn't say it was criminal but directly or indirectly, there's arsenic coming from somewhere and yes, this is the "inorganic" type that they're mostly concerned with. Also pesticides before the EPA banned a lot of those containing arsenic in 2009....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:47:56 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: February 16, 2012, 06:52:17 pm »

Hmm, arsenic isn't exactly something that disappears fast, so there are two possibilities. Either a farmer nearby has been using arsenic-based pesticides, or it has accumulated in the soil over years of use. The later is more probable and also more problematic, because that means the ground in the whole area is unsuited for rice.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: February 16, 2012, 07:50:10 pm »

. . . o_O

I love you guys.  Yes, please keep the derailish punnery to a minimum, but thanks also for just being generally awesome.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:39 pm »

Let me guess, China?

USA! USA! USA! :P

We don't need the EPA, right?
(sucks on inorganic chemicals in his sandwich)

Hmm, arsenic isn't exactly something that disappears fast, so there are two possibilities. Either a farmer nearby has been using arsenic-based pesticides, or it has accumulated in the soil over years of use. The later is more probable and also more problematic, because that means the ground in the whole area is unsuited for rice.
Arsenic poisoning, been there puked that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:55 am »

Let me guess, China?
Linked to pesticides only banned in USA in 2009, according to the article, a whole 2 years ago ... not necessarily aynthing to do with China.

Inorganic Arsenic is the kind of thing that accumulates for a while.

It wasn't industrial run-off, but deliberately applied chemicals to the crops (and legal until recently).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:19:26 am by Reelya »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:04 am »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10786081

Just found it interesting/obvious(?)... I don't know if I'd go as far as irritating/rage/whatever worthy...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: February 17, 2012, 10:01:04 am »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10786081

Just found it interesting/obvious(?)... I don't know if I'd go as far as irritating/rage/whatever worthy...

The study showed that boys believed their answers would be 3 per cent lower if marked by a woman. The girls thought their results would be 6 per cent higher if marked by a man.

Seriously? That's the huge disparity perception? Bunch of wankers trying to blame someone else, if you ask me. I never factored gender into any decisions about what level of effort I put into a class.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: February 17, 2012, 11:56:57 am »

Not sure if satire.

Like, seriously, this guy is either a closeted white supremacist or writes some really good satire.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: February 17, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »

I'm... honestly not sure. His arguments don't really support some of his claims, at least not strongly, but I see nothing about the article that indicates he feels whites are in some way superior or not superior - if anything, he argues AGAINST the white supremacist line that the non-whites are taking over and repressing the whites.

There's certainly some stuff about the article that's odd, to say the least, but it doesn't really seem terribly racist in its arguments or conclusions - aside from, obviously, limiting itself to looking at whites. But there's a great many studies that do that, for whites and other racial categories, so even that doesn't really seem all that odd.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: February 17, 2012, 12:12:57 pm »

Not sure if satire.

Like, seriously, this guy is either a closeted white supremacist or writes some really good satire.

4. White working-class men have a strong work ethic.

This whole section seems to imply that dropping out of the labor force, or being unemployed or underemployed, somehow means you have a poor work ethic. This is an assumption you simply can't make. It could easily mean other things, like that lower-class people are hit harder by economic troubles or have more trouble looking for new jobs.

Also:
If college admission were purely meritocratic — eliminating favoritism for the children of alumni, celebrities and big donors — upper-middle-class children would still be overrepresented. That’s because the applicants who would be accepted instead would also hail overwhelmingly from the upper middle class.

Someone almost, but not quite, understands how privilege works. Sigh. In fact, the whole article sort of reeks of that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

I agree a lot of it seems /stupid/ - I don't think any of it seems supremacist. Half of it is talking about how whites kind of suck more than people give them credit for (even if his arguments as to why are, as I said, pretty weak)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »

Well, this is the part that made me think white supremacist:

Yet, 45 of 50 governors and 96 of 100 U.S. senators were still non-Latino whites in 2010. Whites also were 92 percent of the directors nominated for Academy Awards between 2000 and 2011. They were 96 percent of Fortune 500 chief executives in 2011. The numbers are similar for other influential positions in U.S. society. At least for now, the rhetoric about the fading role of whites in American life outruns reality.

Like, it doesn't seem outright like it, but it sort of smells like "See, the black people are trying to take over but we have all the positions of power still, take pride in that!" When, really, whites in all positions of power is problematic.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »

I'm not really seeing anything racist in the article, he's mostly citing statistics.

Naturally most people going to universities are going to be upper-middle-class-white-people because whites are still the majority in the USA, around 78% and you have to have money to go to college and that means being at least upper-middle-class, affirmative action or not.

The point of affirmative action is to make college campuses a statistical sample of the national demographics. Something like 78% whites, 12% blacks, 5% Hispanics, 4% Asians, ect. So yeah, there are going to be lots of white people in any given university.

If college admissions were a meritocracy, you'd see more Asians. They are overrepresented in universities and it's much harder for them to be admitted then any other race.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 852