Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853437 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9435 on: January 08, 2012, 06:21:35 pm »

In the improbable event of him being arrested one day and tried in Hague, I wonder what percentage of the US citizens would call for an invasion of Switzerland to free him.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: January 08, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »

No one can invade Switzerland. Ever.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: January 08, 2012, 06:39:29 pm »

Capturing a former United States president? I would at least expect Delta Force and SEALs all over that in a heartbeat.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: January 08, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »

I would expect some half-hearted diplomacy at best.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »

Capturing a former United States president? I would at least expect Delta Force and SEALs all over that in a heartbeat.
I don't think you understand. Switzerland cannot be invaded. Invading Switzerland is not a thing. In the rather famous boardgame Diplomacy, Switzerland is blacked out on the map and cannot be invaded even if you control all of Europe. Hitler dismissed a plan to invade Switzerland as pure lunatic fantasy. The Papacy uses Swiss Guards for protection because that is sufficient for them.

The entire country is surrounded by and partially made up of heavily-fortified mountains. Every male has served in the army, and after their service are required to keep their assault rifle and at least 50 rounds of ammunition in their home by law. At one point, Switzerland had 500,000 soldiers and a military leader was asked what he would do if a million soldiers tried to invade. He replied that they would shoot twice.

Nothing short of saturated nuclear bombardment could ever break Switzerland in a war. Maybe. And they will never get in a war because they are the True Neutral of countries.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: January 08, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »

Aye, there was a treaty long ago that stated that every country in Europe swore to protect its neutrality.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: January 08, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

Spoiler: WOW. (click to show/hide)

I'm thinking about trying to counter that, but the sheer wall-of-text-ness of that post, and the fact that my entire family is conservative (more liberal conservative, but conservative nonetheless.) Means that reading those articles makes my inner skeptic fire right the fuck up, disbarring other-wise credible evidence.

Basically, i'm too close minded to read those articles the right way. So i'll concede that point to you. I'm still interested to hear what you have to say on the other points, though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:20:44 pm by ggamer »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: January 08, 2012, 08:01:05 pm »

Hey ggamer, the preview function on the board might help you see quote tag failures and clean them up before posting. I say this because trying to read quote-failed posts is generally more unpleasant for me than trying to wade through bad grammar.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: January 08, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »

There's a reason no one has really invaded Switzerland.... It just doesn't work. Hilter knew it was impossible and that stupid bastard thought he could take Moscow and we all know how that worked out.... That's not Godwin's Law, it's just military tactics. If that crazy shit wouldn't even try for the Swiss, then that says something. We can't really control Afganistan, what on earth makes anyone think we could manage the Swiss? We suck at effectively holding boots on the ground territory. Though we seem pretty good at throwing a $40 Million Cruise missile at a $1000 shack....

Moreover, if that's the second move in the game, then consider the third, etc, and if we could sustain the wound it would leave.... Bad things happen to countries that blatantly and repeatedly flout international law, like UN sanctions at the very least.... Our economy sucks right now and would totally fall if the rest of the world cut us off. Hell, how long could we go without oil? We would lose without a shot fired.... Shit, China alone is dangerously close to being able to beat us currently economically never mind militarily . Fact of the matter is our economy couldn't withstand the entire world being pissed at us if we just conducted an unprovoked military raid/invasion on a European country who was exercising its lawful jurisdiction. Bush knows this and that's why he canceled his trip/isn't leaving the country anytime soon. He'd be on his own and screwed.

Then again hey, we seem to like getting into no win situations.... The British thought their empire was invincible too....

I'm thinking about trying to counter that, but the sheer wall-of-text-ness of that post, and the fact that my entire family is conservative (more liberal conservative, but conservative nonetheless.) Means that reading those articles makes my inner skeptic fire right the fuck up, disbarring other-wise credible evidence.

Basically, i'm too close minded to read those articles the right way. So i'll concede that point to you. I'm still interested to hear what you have to say on the other points, though.

This is called an overwhelming body of proof against what you believe. Bush absolutely did some terrible shit and it is all documented, like torturing people and saying it was OK/legal.... I sincerely hope he gets arrested for it the instant he steps outside the country. The difference is they won't torture him to get information out of him, because they're better than he is. As for the other points....

Let's see: "Homeless people are homeless for a reason:" ???
See, your biggest problem there is failing to recognize the absolutely enormous difference between what SHOULD happen and what DOES happen. Life is INCREDIBLY unfair and people don't get what they deserve/your effort doesn't always pay off/your misdeeds don't always catch up with you. Simply, shit happens, undeservedly as a rule. 

See there are lots of reasons for homelessness, but rarely is it "well they're just lazy...." Think about that. Think about it for one minute and consider what you're actually saying if you believe that. You're saying that there is someone so lazy that they would literally rather starve to death and die in filthy agony than get a fucking job.... Really? Really? This passes your internal bullshit detector? They're that fucking lazy that they are choosing not only not to live, but to slowly, painfully, and terribly waste away and die.... Suicide maybe, if it's quick, might be something people would do, but this...? Really?

There are some reasons people are homeless though, like job loss and foreclosure for one.
Have you heard the news that we're in the freaking Great Depression part II right now or the fact that millions and millions of homes in the US are being foreclosed upon with the highest jobless rate  and food stamp usage in decades, in decades? I can't imagine how anyone could be homeless given that "officially" about 8.5% are unemployed and that unemployment by definition understates the real problem, because if after sending out 800 resumes you give up because there's no where else to apply, you're not "unemployed," anymore.... ??? Plus the banks are kicking people out of their homes, despite the fact that the banks made loans they never should've because they were greedy, but hey....

There are other reasons too like mental illness and the fact that we refuse to pay to treat it like we used to.... See President JFK closed all the major mental institutions in this country. He thought that they were so corrupt that they were beyond saving. So, he thought he'd replace them with community mental health centers. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and he made a highway.... See he thought we were better people than we are.... He thought we'd take care of our own mentally insane people; we don't. Rather we let them roam the streets and many of the homeless you see have serious mental illnesses that go untreated because frankly there's no one to treat them. We don't pay for mental health treatment and we literally let them die in the fucking street because we're too greedy to pay taxes to deal with the problem like adults. That's right, those homeless people you see trying to figure out how to eat soup with an envelope belong in a mental institution we're too fucking cheap to pay for.... It's not about, quality of care being better, in smaller institutions, because we know damn good and well that we don't have enough resources to provide that without paying more taxes which we refuse to do....

Finally there's drugs and yes sometimes this is the reason some people are homeless. Check the DSM IV TR substance abuse is a mental disorder and things are chemically and psychologically addictive, both.... This falls under "things we refuse to treat." We've been throwing people in prison for drug crimes for over 40 years at a cost of Trillions of dollars and it hasn't done shit.

Life is not simple. We look at people in less fortunate situations and demonize them because we lack the strength to think about what this means. If we say the homeless man is a "bum" and "lazy" and "whatever other derogatory thing we wanna say," then we don't have to think about how life isn't fair. We also get to compare ourselves favorably to him because "clearly" we earned our position in life.... Yeah, except most people in the US are only about a paycheck or two away from being homeless themselves.... ;) Think about that for a minute.

Vietnam:
Don't even get me started.... We lost that war because we stupidly decided we would go all world police/McCarthyism on Communism. You should really study the history of that war, man from French IndoChina to Tet Offensive, to our eventual forced pull out and after. We had no business there and we never had a chance of winning. That's kinda why we lost. The whole thing was a quagmire.

Social Services (your point 5 referring to point three):
Ok, let's make this really simple. Let's forget that people paid taxes into the system as part of an insurance policy as a social safety net for years, decades and thus deserve it. Let's forget that we can totally afford it if we rearrange our priorities to provide for the poor. Let's forget the overly pious "Christians" TM forcing their religion on people while pretending to be persecuted, who ask What Would Jesus Do (WWJD) and then openly mock that by going against the poor when that guy was all about helping the poor. Let's forget that recent economic circumstances are here and screwing everyone, none of which these people caused are really to blame and they don't deserve this. Let's forget, all of that.

Fact, there are tens of millions of people out of work and hungry in this country who cannot support themselves currently. Right now we've got 45.8 Million people on food stamps. This is a record high. There aren't enough jobs out there by a long shot so they just can't support themselves currently no matter what.

Here's your choice:
A.) Cut them all off and they face the very real and immediate threat of starvation.
B.) Deal with it like adults and make sure they don't die/get desperate. That is: feed them.
C.) THERE IS NO C.

Are you really prepared to do A? You really prepared to have 45.8 Million people in America without enough food to eat? You think America could handle that? 45.8 Million desperate people would do some pretty crazy shit. Quite frankly, I'm not sure the country could survive that.... Are you?

Yeah, ideally, everyone would be able to support themselves. This is the real world and it is far, FAR from ideal. So what's it gonna be? Tens of Millions desperate and starving, or we actually feed people to keep that from happening and our country from collapsing? Chose wisely.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:14:48 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: January 08, 2012, 08:35:21 pm »

Guantanamo bay survivor writes about his experiences.  Personally, I'd like to smack Obama upside the head for continuing to let that place operate.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: January 08, 2012, 08:36:57 pm »

He signed a presidential executive order to shut that place down. It's up to congress to shut it down by deciding where people go and funding.

*mega-facepalm*

No one pays attention to what the President can or cannot do anymore.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: January 08, 2012, 08:41:18 pm »

He signed a presidential executive order to shut that place down. It's up to congress to shut it down by deciding where people go and funding.

*mega-facepalm*

Course not, easier to blame him than yourself.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: January 08, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »

.... My post was long enough without getting into presidential procedures. He didn't veto it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: January 08, 2012, 08:57:52 pm »

*mega-facepalm*

The President said "Alright, let's do this. Now decide where the prisoners go and who is funding it."

To which Congress says, "like, whatever. We don't want to deal with it."

Anyhow, the President is not a king. Whatever he wants doesn't automagically happen.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: January 08, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »

This is called an overwhelming body of proof against what you believe. Bush absolutely did some terrible shit and it is all documented, like torturing people and saying it was OK/legal.... I sincerely hope he gets arrested for it the instant he steps outside the country. The difference is they won't torture him to get information out of him, because they're better than he is. As for the other points....

I'm sure you are filling with pride right now.

Let's see: "Homeless people are homeless for a reason:" ???
See, your biggest problem there is failing to recognize the absolutely enormous difference between what SHOULD happen and what DOES happen. Life is INCREDIBLY unfair and people don't get what they deserve/your effort doesn't always pay off/your misdeeds don't always catch up with you. Simply, shit happens, undeservedly as a rule.

That's unfortunately very true.

See there are lots of reasons for homelessness, but rarely is it "well they're just lazy...." (Not my wording, btw) Think about that. Think about it for one minute and consider what you're actually saying if you believe that. You're saying that there is someone so lazy that they would literally rather starve to death and die in filthy agony than get a fucking job.... Really? Really? This passes your internal bullshit detector? They're that fucking lazy that they are choosing not only not to live, but to slowly, painfully, and terribly waste away and die.... Suicide maybe, if it's quick, might be something people would do, but this...? Really?

There are some reasons people are homeless though, like job loss and foreclosure for one.
Have you heard the news that we're in the freaking Great Depression part II right now or the fact that millions and millions of homes in the US are being foreclosed upon with the highest jobless rate  and food stamp usage in decades, in decades? I can't imagine how anyone could be homeless given that "officially" about 8.5% are unemployed and that unemployment by definition understates the real problem, because if after sending out 800 resumes you give up because there's no where else to apply, you're not "unemployed," anymore.... ??? Plus the banks are kicking people out of their homes, despite the fact that the banks made loans they never should've because they were greedy, but hey....

There are other reasons too like mental illness and the fact that we refuse to pay to treat it like we used to.... See President JFK closed all the major mental institutions in this country. He thought that they were so corrupt that they were beyond saving. So, he thought he'd replace them with community mental health centers.

I'm going to go ahead and separate this from the rest of the... how did someone just put it? "Mindless praise"... Yeah, that sounds about right. (I kid, I kid) On this point I agree with you. Things like mental illness are a huge problem, and should be taken care of appropriately.

This is a good use of healthcare.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and he made a highway.... See he thought we were better people than we are.... He thought we'd take care of our own mentally insane people; we don't. Rather we let them roam the streets and many of the homeless you see have serious mental illnesses that go untreated because frankly there's no one to treat them. We don't pay for mental health treatment and we literally let them die in the fucking street because we're too greedy to pay taxes to deal with the problem like adults. That's right, those homeless people you see trying to figure out how to eat soup with an envelope belong in a mental institution we're too fucking cheap to pay for.... It's not about, quality of care being better, in smaller institutions, because we know damn good and well that we don't have enough resources to provide that without paying more taxes which we refuse to do....

Finally there's drugs and yes sometimes this is the reason some people are homeless. Check the DSM IV TR substance abuse is a mental disorder and things are chemically and psychologically addictive, both.... This falls under "things we refuse to treat." We've been throwing people in prison for drug crimes for over 40 years at a cost of Trillions of dollars and it hasn't done shit.

Again, drug rehabilitation, though caused by the homeless person in question, is a serious problem, and our tax dollars would be well spent taking care of that. Never heard of the DSM, can you shoot me a link?

Life is not simple. We look at people in less fortunate situations and demonize them because we lack the strength to think about what this means. If we say the homeless man is a "bum" and "lazy" and "whatever other derogatory thing we wanna say," then we don't have to think about how life isn't fair. We also get to compare ourselves favorably to him because "clearly" we earned our position in life.... Yeah, except most people in the US are only about a paycheck or two away from being homeless themselves.... ;) Think about that for a minute.

Preaching to the choir, Truean. My family is in the "two paychecks away from no house" demographic.

Vietnam:
Don't even get me started.... We lost that war because we stupidly decided we would go all world police/McCarthyism on Communism. You should really study the history of that war, man from French IndoChina to Tet Offensive, to our eventual forced pull out and after. We had no business there and we never had a chance of winning. That's kinda why we lost. The whole thing was a quagmire.

As they say, the french are only good at two things: surrenderin', and kissin' (also a joke). And LOL, no, we lost because we rigidly applied the old rules of warfare against an army that couldn't even be called an army. Once more, I suggest The Ugly American, it sums the whole situation up quite well.

You, my good friend, seem to be mixed up. We SHOULDN'T have been there, but some sort of Liberal Angel Squad didn't apply god's wrath upon the UN because we were THERE.

Social Services (your point 5 referring to point three):
Ok, let's make this really simple. Let's forget that people paid taxes into the system as part of an insurance policy as a social safety net for years, decades and thus deserve it. (I believe you are referring to Social Security here, which is fundamentally broken.) Let's forget that we can totally afford it if we rearrange our priorities to provide for the poor. Let's forget the overly pious "Christians" TM forcing their religion on people while pretending to be persecuted, who ask What Would Jesus Do (WWJD) and then openly mock that by going against the poor when that guy was all about helping the poor. (WTF? -5 points, lack of sources. see me after class.) Let's forget that recent economic circumstances are here and screwing everyone, none of which these people caused are really to blame and they don't deserve this. Let's forget, all of that.

Fact, there are tens of millions of people out of work and hungry in this country who cannot support themselves currently. Right now we've got 45.8 Million people on food stamps. This is a record high. There aren't enough jobs out there by a long shot so they just can't support themselves currently no matter what. (AHAH! That is going to feed quite nicely into my next point. But let me let you finish out broseph.)

Here's your choice:
A.) Cut them all off and they face the very real and immediate threat of starvation.
B.) Deal with it like adults and make sure they don't die/get desperate. That is: feed them.
C.) THERE IS NO C. LOLNO

Are you really prepared to do A? You really prepared to have 45.8 Million people in America without enough food to eat? You think America could handle that? 45.8 Million desperate people would do some pretty crazy shit. Quite frankly, I'm not sure the country could survive that.... Are you?

Yeah, ideally, everyone would be able to support themselves. This is the real world and it is far, FAR from ideal. So what's it gonna be? Tens of Millions desperate and starving, or we actually feed people to keep that from happening and our country from collapsing? Chose wisely.

I would probably choose the third option, but let me explain myself first.

Since, according to the government, an income under 20,000 dollars a year is considered poor, we'll use that figure. Allow me to create two people, one, John, is fervently against welfare, and fervently poor. The Other, Sam, supports welfare, and is on it currently. They both have two children and no wife, Have average houses, and are completely average.

John has to pay income taxes, since he is not on welfare. He works two jobs, that combined give him just under 17,000 dollars a year. According to this, income taxes would be 10% of total income, coming out to 1,900 dollars a year. his rent is 2,400 dollars a year, and pays 4,800 dollars a year for groceries. He has kids, so let's say daycare costs 2-3k per year. That leaves poor old John with 5,000 dollars to pay medical bills, utilities, and whatever else happens to come up. Living a few years like this, John going to find himself in a shit ton of debt, and miserable for it.

Now let's say Sam is on welfare. He doesn't have to pay income taxes, gets tax deductions for his kids, additional welfare to pay for his kids daycare, and food stamps to pay for his groceries. That means that Sam gets just as much money as John has, without incurring any debts, or working. at all.

Basically, this means that there is no incentive to work (if you are poor) when you can just live off welfare.

So here's the third option:

Wean today's culture off welfare using job programs and healthcare. That means that the government provides jobs for the homeless, while the ones living off welfare slowly realize that they can't live off of welfare alone, so get jobs using *gasp!* the job programs that the government provides! For those that are homeless because of drug or insanity problems, rehabilitation centers will help those that can be helped re-join society, and those that can't will be cared for for as long as it takes.

Obviously there will be special cases. So many, in fact, we could set up some sort of executive comittee to help, like we've done with Every other serious project ever.

If there's something I've missed, please remind me.

Good points all around, my good friend.

*mega-facepalm*

The President said "Alright, let's do this. Now decide where the prisoners go and who is funding it."

To which Congress says, "like, whatever. We don't want to deal with it."

Anyhow, the President is not a king. Whatever he wants doesn't automagically happen.

Like, y'know, the pulling of troops out of the giant military asscrack that is Iraq that you guys seem to be happy about. And the fact that he hasn't done anything and covers it up with some rather skillful rhetoric.
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 852