Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855846 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8865 on: December 26, 2011, 05:33:31 pm »

It's down to much more than that, trust me.

Yes, and as a lawyer practicing criminal defense, how the hell am I not rich as hell given the above...?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8866 on: December 26, 2011, 05:34:41 pm »

Yes, and as a lawyer practicing criminal defense, how the hell am I not rich as hell given the above...?

Because people in prison have a hard time paying their bills?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: December 26, 2011, 05:36:02 pm »

Because people in prison have a hard time paying their bills?

I was going more towards the, "people don't think it's a big deal somehow," line of reasoning. You're not gonna have a whole lot if you go to prison so spend it on avoiding that....

"O, that'll never happen to me...." ~Everyone that ever happened to before that happened.
Honestly though, the above statement baffles me. Do people not realize there are whole departments of things devoted to nothing but catching people who say this shit? Few if any of my clients thought they'd get caught but then they end up in front of me.... I would feel comfortable thinking that none of them thought they'd get caught at first. Some of the repeats maybe have figured it out; they just haven't really taken it to heart. Or, worse, now they think they're older,wiser , and more experienced so they won't get caught, "this time." ???

I have too much repeat business for that to be true....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:45:03 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: December 26, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »

Reading that linked article... the part about how sentence length (not actual crime rate) is the main contributing factor seems to make sense to me. This then seems to suggest that long sentences do not act as much of a deterrent or rehabilitating factor.
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: December 26, 2011, 05:52:25 pm »

Reading that linked article... the part about how sentence length (not actual crime rate) is the main contributing factor seems to make sense to me. This then seems to suggest that long sentences do not act as much of a deterrent or rehabilitating factor.

Especially given that my experiences show me most criminal defendants don't even KNOW what sentences they face before they do something....

Well, now I just have an image of some kid with a calculator adding up the number of years and months in prison he'd face before deciding to do something illegal.... :) Its somewhat hilarious, at least the version floating around in my head.

"Let's see, if there's a silencer on my gun, that means I get 6 years mandatory minimum.... Carry the 2.... Let's see.... Well, I better take that off... before I rob the place." :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:55:18 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: December 26, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »

I would suggest "know" could be the wrong word for certain forms of crime that would lead to one of the sentences responsible for the high US prision levels.. Probably "do not care" would be better. Not to say thats specific to the US - here in the UK the same applies, but our recent goverments (post Thatcer) have avoided overcrowding through reducing the number of sentences deserving of incarceration, open prisons and wider parole access, amongst other means. Depending on who you speak to, this may or may not be a good thing.
This is a blank sig.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: December 26, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »

Truean: What's probably worse are state/local laws related to weapons that aren't firearms. My state's legislation for such items literally includes the phrase "so-called 'kung fu weapons'". In addition to that, some of the language is pretty ambiguous/strange and it's hard to even tell what's legal under which circumstances.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-42.HTM

It's so vague (and in some cases possibly ambiguous) that it probably boils down to what they feel like prosecuting at any given time.

EDIT: Just so everyone's clear, if I ever form a local band it'll be called "[my name] and the So-Called Kung-Fu Weapons". I got dibs on that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: December 26, 2011, 07:11:45 pm »

Truean: What's probably worse are state/local laws related to weapons that aren't firearms. My state's legislation for such items literally includes the phrase "so-called 'kung fu weapons'". In addition to that, some of the language is pretty ambiguous/strange and it's hard to even tell what's legal under which circumstances.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-42.HTM

It's so vague (and in some cases possibly ambiguous) that it probably boils down to what they feel like prosecuting at any given time.

EDIT: Just so everyone's clear, if I ever form a local band it'll be called "[my name] and the So-Called Kung-Fu Weapons". I got dibs on that.

How are "Kung-Fu," weapons illegal in a democra... republi.... place like America?

Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
Those kicks were fast as lightning
In fact, it was a little bit frightening
But they fought with expert timing

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/kungfufightinglyrics.html

Well, Mr. ... "[my name] and the So-Called Kung-Fu Weapons" lead, I've already given you a cover song. I'll be taking 10% as an agent's cut if you'll just look the other way sign on the dotted line.

:P You knew or should've known I was not going to let that one pass me by....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:17:12 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:40 pm »

... would it count as progressive irritation that it bugs the hell out of me some people my own bloody age (to say nothing of the younger generations, now) actually have never heard Kung-fu Fighting? Or just more generic rage?

It's like folks, especially Americans, not knowing immediately who Louie is. Louie Freaking Armstrong! How the hell does one reach puberty without knowing who Louie is, especially in a country where he's one of the best singers/musicians of one of the only original musical styles our culture has? We don't have much culture you can't scrape up with a fingernail (read: Shallow as fook), how the blazes do we get away with ignoring what little we do have? Darn idjit kids, grumblemutter.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: December 26, 2011, 07:29:43 pm »

To be fair, I've never heard of Louie Armstrong either.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: December 26, 2011, 07:31:47 pm »

Yes, yes, it's spelled with an s. We call 'im Louie down here :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: December 26, 2011, 07:32:58 pm »

I've never heard of Louis Armstrong, but I have heard "kung fu fighting".

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: December 26, 2011, 07:34:47 pm »

... would it count as progressive irritation that it bugs the hell out of me some people my own bloody age (to say nothing of the younger generations, now) actually have never heard Kung-fu Fighting? Or just more generic rage?

It's like folks, especially Americans, not knowing immediately who Louie is. Louie Freaking Armstrong! How the hell does one reach puberty without knowing who Louie is, especially in a country where he's one of the best singers/musicians of one of the only original musical styles our culture has? We don't have much culture you can't scrape up with a fingernail (read: Shallow as fook), how the blazes do we get away with ignoring what little we do have? Darn idjit kids, grumblemutter.

I thought you were talking about the astronaut, so I was astonished when you wrote "singers/musicians". Then I realized that he is Neil Armstrong.

So I have no idea who this Louie person is.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:37:02 pm by Fenrir »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: December 26, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »

I've never heard of Louis Armstrong, but I have heard "kung fu fighting".

WAT

I thought you were talking about the astronaut, so I was astonished when you wrote "singers/musicians". Then I realized that he is Neil Armstrong.

DOUBLE WAT
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: December 26, 2011, 07:38:23 pm »

Frankly, I've heard of him, but never knew that he was the one doing that song. Welp. But then again cultural imbecile here.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 852