Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855977 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4695 on: September 09, 2011, 11:43:01 pm »

I remember my childhood, I was always collecting little pointless things. It was crazy, and I still do it unconsciously sometimes. In elementary school, I had a large ball of the little balls I'd picked off my socks, a little pile from the tops of glue bottles, a personal collection of plastic pop-open bottlecaps and, briefly, a collection of boogers (gross!).

I was also a bully when I was young. Yes, an elementary school bully. I got better, I learned how to be mellow and understanding of people.
I'm not too fucking proud of my childhood.

EDIT: Oh hey my avatar finally fit my post for once.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: September 09, 2011, 11:46:05 pm »

Lockpicks eh? as long as you could bend it about in half, and jiggle it in the lock...

In my case, the only locks I made a serious effort to pick were the ones inside the school.  In that case, you had the big wooden doors that fit really loose in the frame and always open outwards into the hallway, so you just bend some wire into a hook and pull on the doorlatch so it slides in.

By the way, if any of you are in gradeschool, you can try that yourselves.  I don't have any younger siblings to pass my knowledge onto, it's up to you to keep the traditions alive.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: September 09, 2011, 11:53:19 pm »

There was a door in my highschool that opened if you kicked it hard enough. Only problem was that the door opened outward, so when you kicked it your foot took the full force of the kick. It worked for me once or twice but it hurt like a bitch afterward.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: September 10, 2011, 12:04:04 am »

By the way, if any of you are in gradeschool, you can try that yourselves.  I don't have any younger siblings to pass my knowledge onto, it's up to you to keep the traditions alive.
I COULD run along to a nearby elementary school and try it, but then I'd probably get arrested.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: September 10, 2011, 12:12:21 am »

Pointless crap?

Hahahaha, oh man, don't get me started.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: September 10, 2011, 12:21:25 am »

There was a door in my highschool that opened if you kicked it hard enough. Only problem was that the door opened outward, so when you kicked it your foot took the full force of the kick. It worked for me once or twice but it hurt like a bitch afterward.

Oh man, you should see the weird ways we get around. The whole east wing of the school has extremely nice locks on the doors, but no locks on the windows, so you can seriously just see kids go to first hour via the window. The hallway in the science wing is super narrow, but all the rooms are connected in the back by one long hallway (For fire code, I've been told), so everyone just walks through the biology room and into the back hallway.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: September 10, 2011, 12:22:49 am »

Some day I'll post a pic of my collection of curiosities (featuring various historical coins, pieces of roman-era pottery, a skull, fossils...)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: September 10, 2011, 12:24:55 am »

Pointless crap?

Hahahaha, oh man, don't get me started.

On the contrary, you should make a thread.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: September 10, 2011, 12:28:46 am »

Quote from: Vector
I remember one Christmas when my wish list was literally just "a screwdriver."
I didn't get it.
I'm reminded of the time I actually getting something I thought was pretty cool for Christmas one year (not a common event), and immediately went into the kitchen and started dismantling it because I had a great idea for what to do with the components and couldn't wait until I got home. People were... horrified? I guess? Like, extremely insulted. I didn't get it. To be honest, I still don't!

On the other hand, when I did woodshop in middle school my group had what was really the best little glue-and-scrapwood bridge (second-most load bearing, definitely most explosive--it was fabulous, it made a little cracking noise and then around 270 pounds the entire fucking side blew off into the audience), and I ended up building an Appalachian dulcimer, which is still hanging on my wall.
You are the coolest. The most cool. Why are there not more people this awesome?

In my case, the only locks I made a serious effort to pick were the ones inside the school.  In that case, you had the big wooden doors that fit really loose in the frame and always open outwards into the hallway, so you just bend some wire into a hook and pull on the doorlatch so it slides in.
Hah, I actually had some friends who made regular use of that little trick. There weren't many locked doors at my school that were worth getting through, though, aside from the basement which was good for an explore or two. My only security-capable trick was rooftop entry. There are at least a couple places that didn't bother to properly secure those little roof bits that swing up (actually, I'm not even sure what they're for - roof access with a ladder from inside for some reason, I guess?), and with a bit of rope you've got an easy way in and out.

This was less fun when you realized the object you just used as your anchor for the descent into the abandoned insane asylum  apparently contained a bee hive, somehow. (I loved that place though.)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:30:19 am by GlyphGryph »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: September 10, 2011, 01:30:36 am »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: September 10, 2011, 02:00:16 am »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: September 10, 2011, 02:18:03 am »

I get the premise about how it give stax cuts to small buisnesses that hire new employees but what classifies as a small buisness?

Also some of what he suggests like modernizing a bunch of schools and rebuilding roads amd improving transportation sound eerily like a New Deal, If that's the case and this is still paid for I'd like to see where that money's coming from.

Of course, this is just me skimming the text on a phone at 3 in the morning, but that's my take on it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: September 10, 2011, 02:21:58 am »

It's paid for = fancy rhetoric for "we're putting this in the budget you're passing later, you stupid fuckers."

I nearly cried while I was reading it, because I think it's everything I wanted in terms of economy and so on.  Uh, for a start, I mean.  Cutting bureaucracy, adding infrastructure, trying to attract machinery and so on back to America rather than screwing with other people around the world = hell fucking yes.

It's a start.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:00 am »

I get the premise about how it give stax cuts to small buisnesses that hire new employees but what classifies as a small buisness?
In the Netherlands that phrase refers to businesses with less than 100 employees IIRC (might be 60 or something, my memory is a little hazy). I'd imagine the US has a similar definition.

Anyway, making hiring more attractive is going to do diddly squat if it doesn't also increase the demand because nobody is going to hire more people if those people are going to be twiddling their thumbs the whole time, so I don't know how effective that part of the bill is going to be.

Edit: Asking a screwdriver for Christmas? You mean you didn't even have a toolbox at home where you could borrow one for a while?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:50:50 am by Virex »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: September 10, 2011, 06:56:11 am »

So, it looks like I will be going on stirke in the not too distant future (UK government vs Educational unions regarding pensions). More to follow as this gets more interesting.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 852