Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854023 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4290 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:41 pm »

I am unconcerned.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:49 pm »

If I have to argue under the banner of "Pro-Death" in order to get women their reproductive rights, I'll do it.

I do not like the "pro-life" moniker, because it ignores the life of the woman; often, literally so, and is thus mendacious in the extreme.  Certainly, the "pro-choice" moniker ignores the choice-making ability of the fetus; on the other hand, I do not see anyone asking newborns what their major will be.

I don't think these terms are quite equal by way of truth-value.  Opinions?

Strongly Agree. It's not like you're going to keep people from changing the titles of their righteous quests to match current euphemisms, though.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: August 25, 2011, 11:46:32 pm »

Right, well, I only have problems with "pro-life" because of the implication that anybody else must logically be "anti-life" or "pro-death" or however you want to phrase it.
Then you must have equal concerns with Progressive?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 25, 2011, 11:50:32 pm »

Given that one group is attempting to generally keep the status quo, or something already experienced, and the other is attempting to chart new territory, I see no issue with the co-option of this terminology.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 25, 2011, 11:55:10 pm »

Given that one group is attempting to generally keep the status quo, or something already experienced, and the other is attempting to chart new territory, I see no issue with the co-option of this terminology.

And if someone wants to change the status quo and chart new territory in a way or in a direction that happens to be contrary to the social and economic views held by progressives?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: August 25, 2011, 11:55:31 pm »

Charting new territory is a bit a false name for what is happening. The territory has already been charted, and there is a plan to move toward it. Whether this is progress or not is yet to be determined, and will only be determined in retrospect. You only know that you have progressed when you reach a further position down the road.

Eugenics attempted to move forward into new places too, and people called it a progressive move in its time. Surprisingly, it was not.

There are other movements out there not related to the political battles you're engaged in, or moving in another direction that could equally be described as Progressive.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 25, 2011, 11:57:19 pm »

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the problem I see with the terminology as it stands. "Life" is too broad a term? Not quite that, the same charge can be leveled at "Choice", but the latter seems to better summarize the position being endorsed. The "pro-life" thing is very much a movement aimed at achieving a negative result (by which I mean, it's meant to ensure something is not the case, not that it is; nothing ethical in that description), so "pro-" anything doesn't exactly work. Fuck, even if they called it "anti-death", that'd be slightly better, if still rather disingenuous.

This is very much rambling, yeah.

Then you must have equal concerns with Progressive?

Actually, no! Progressive doesn't necessarily imply moral value unless you already think that change is inherently good. I suppose the word does have positive connotations associated with it, but hardly to the same extent as "life"; so maybe, on further consideration, I might have similar problems, but definitely not equal. The magnitude is pretty different, even being charitable.

For that matter, I'd argue that those movements you mentioned in your more recent post actually were "progressive", but they weren't progressive toward a goal I'd care to see approached. Honestly, you made my point better than I did.

EDIT: Ah-ha! I have got it. Here's the problem.

As a pro-choice guy, I would be satisfied on the issue if every woman had the option, no matter what she chose. Every woman could choose not to have an abortion, and assuming they made that decision freely (a huge assumption, but bear with me), I would be okay with that as far as my arguments about this are concerned (there might be individual issues like income and all that, but that's a different thing as far as I'm concerned; it's not about principle). The implication of that is that my opposition does not want women to have that choice, which is true (and necessarily so).

Were I a pro-life guy, I would be satisfied if every fetus was saved. That is true. The implication with the language, though, is that your opposition wants the fetuses to die. Nobody (who is taken seriously, I hope) argues that pro-choice people want mandatory abortions whenever it's considered, but the implication is still there in the language. "Hey, this guy wants babies to die". That isn't true; I could be perfectly happy if no abortion ever happened, as long as the option existed. A pro-life guy would only be happy if the option didn't exist, because if it does, then either it's being used or it is pretty pointless.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:12:15 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: August 26, 2011, 12:06:18 am »

*shrug*

As long as people are trying something new, I really don't care.  Not all progressives are made equal.

Hell, if you like I'd almost rename this the "equal rights rage thread," because that's what it's really about--and I'd have little issue with folks who prefer inequality taking whatever name they like to oppose that, though I've got no idea what they'd call themselves.  The "Protect the children" party?

Feh.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: August 26, 2011, 12:12:36 am »

Actually, no! Progressive doesn't necessarily imply moral value unless you already think that change is inherently good. I suppose the word does have positive connotations associated with it, but hardly to the same extent as "life"; so maybe, on further consideration, I might have similar problems, but definitely not equal. The magnitude is pretty different, even being charitable.

I think you're underestimating the weight people give the term "progress". It's possibly the most charged word I know. If you look back at the 20th Century, and look at the word that got people from point A to point B, it was the notion that we were moving forward through a new period of unprecedented social and technological progress. This is a concept that people have invested their entire lives into. There were World Fairs dedicated to it. It was used to justify everything from weapons systems to massive infrastructure projects to going to the moon.

This is a word people have died for, quite literally. And I think you'll find that there is a number of people who would rather have progress than life. Not as large, perhaps, but enough to ensure that this is a word that should at least be given some value.

It may not be tied to morals directly, but it is a driving force behind the morals we have, because it creates new things that we must have morals for.

I think people are misunderstanding me. I don't care if you use the word Progressive for yourself. All I want you to do is think about how you're using it, and what it means to the people who are around you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:25 am »

There's a reason why I identify myself neither as a feminist, nor as a progressive, offline.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:24 am »

I don't identify with most 'movements', because there are few that I fully agree with. 'Liberal' is about the closest I get.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: August 26, 2011, 12:36:50 am »

I don't even bother with the Liberal/Moderate/Conservative labels anymore. It's too much of a pain to identify as any of them. I used to call myself a "Moderate" just to get away from the label connotations, but now even that is too troublesome. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:12 am »

I have a hard time finding political labels that suit my views too... probably because I'm both cynic and utopistic at the same time.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: August 26, 2011, 02:58:02 am »

I don't identify with most 'movements', because there are few that I fully agree with. 'Liberal' is about the closest I get.
Yes, I had that as a sig a long time ago. I wish there was a movement I could 100% agree with and blindly side myself with to crusade against the unjust.

Instead I'm burdened with a critical mind and my own moral compass and have to think everything over myself. It's lonely.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: August 26, 2011, 03:38:26 am »

regarding politics and political parties, I'll happily side with whichever one will give me well maintained roads and steady power.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 852