Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854384 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4095 on: August 21, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »

Of course that happens, but that's still different from doctored photography. You can lie about how wealthy someone is, but not in a way that fools your brain quite as easily, or is as insidious as, photoshopping every image in every magazine you publish. People aren't even always aware of how much you can doctor photos, or how commonly it's done.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 21, 2011, 03:26:54 pm »

But what about depiction not only of impossibly beautiful, but impossibly wealthy, classy or anything?

Annoying, yes, but girls today have tons of issues because of social pressure to be "beautiful", and advertising play a big part.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4097 on: August 21, 2011, 03:29:01 pm »

But what about depiction not only of impossibly beautiful, but impossibly wealthy, classy or anything?

Annoying, yes, but girls today have tons of issues because of social pressure to be "beautiful", and advertising play a big part.

Huge part, I have a sister and a mom suffering much from this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 21, 2011, 03:45:05 pm »

Yeah, and People everywhere have issue about needing to show off. Why do you think all Those London rioters looted all those brand-name shops?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 21, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

Slightly related...

Here's a commercial that depicts a "dumb man" who can't figure out what his wife is talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSoNuA_bqf0

And in the "sequel", she calls him out on it while he's talking to a friend the same way she was:  (I couldn't find a video link that worked)
http://www.adweek.com/files/adfreak/6a00d8341c51c053ef0133eca90a37970b-450wi
http://mediabane.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/yoplait-guy-scared-on-phone.gif

It's just one of the many "dumb man" commercials.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: August 21, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »

Yeah, and People everywhere have issue about needing to show off. Why do you think all Those London rioters looted all those brand-name shops?

Yeah, after reflexion you're right.
It's just that physical expectations are more pervasive than wealth based ones around me.
And that physical expectations are gender based, which make them very noticeable.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:05:17 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: August 21, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »

You can lie about how wealthy someone is, but not in a way that fools your brain quite as easily

Bernard Maddoff did it for years...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: August 21, 2011, 05:17:38 pm »

To continue on notes earlier:

Libyan opposition fighters have taken the central squares of Tripoli, advancing 20 miles in one night, blowing through Gaddafi's defenses and causing his son and most loyal units to surrender.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/liveblog/Libya

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: August 21, 2011, 11:02:46 pm »

To continue on notes earlier:

Libyan opposition fighters have taken the central squares of Tripoli, advancing 20 miles in one night, blowing through Gaddafi's defenses and causing his son and most loyal units to surrender.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/liveblog/Libya
Fantastamazing. I just hope that the Libyan government of the future does everything they say they want to do, and doesn't just install another dictator.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: August 21, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

Essay time!

The man is pretty fucking smart.

So this got posted in the Other Rage Thread, and I thought it deserved a reply. It's definitely an interesting essay, but I have a problem or two with some of the methods it uses to make its points, and some of the conclusions it comes to. Because I'm kind of tired, I'll probably be a bit brief and not reference things like I really should, but I think that there are two main issues I take with it, and they're related.

The first is that the analysis seems naive in some ways. For instance, it rightly points out some very interesting parallels between the antagonists of 300 and the reality of the United States in the present day, and inconsistencies in the idolization of the Spartans as the ideal citizen. But it seems to carry this (valid) argument too far, and assert that for the purposes of the narrative, the United States is entirely equivalent to the fictional Persia, and the invaded Middle East entirely equivalent to the fictional Sparta. For example, while I agree that the sacrifice of the Spartans is driven by the same beliefs as that of a modern suicide bomber (and said bomber almost certainly sees himself as making a noble gesture to protect those he loves), I think that's wholly irrelevant to why one is idolized and the other demonized; I don't see an inconsistency here. The sacrifice here drastically raises the magnitude of the response, because it's demonstrating a much greater devotion to a goal, but it's the goal itself that determines whether that reaction is positive or negative. Here, the difference between fending off an invasion through the death of soldiers, and fending off an invasion through the death of civilians, is clear.

Secondly, there's a very definite air of hypocrisy about an essay that accuses the culture of misappropriating historical fact and presenting it in a tremendously inaccurate light to support its own ideology, which then goes on to project onto historical figures the values of modern political figures. I don't think you can legitimately claim that Xerxes was the equivalent of George W. Bush in the same breath that you deny the sense in comparing an idealized Leonidas to a similarly idealized Christ. You can certainly judge the morality of historical figures by modern standards (if you're prepared to accept that virtually every person predating the last few decades was morally reprehensible), but what you cannot do is act as if the same moral or political concepts existed then as do now. Comparing the historical significance of George W. Bush to Xerxes is the equivalent of comparing the sharpness of arrows to bullets. They're products of completely different systems and have unrelated standards for success; the major similarity is superficial, and while there are valid comparisons that could be made, I don't believe this is one of them.

EDIT: Oh, and so that this is less one-sided, I should mention that there are some damn good insights in this thing, and I am completely on board until the paragraph that starts "The questions of why now and why this..." Even after that there are quite a few "Yeah, this." moments. Dude is, I am pretty sure, smarter'n me. Do note that I'm referring to the entire article, not just the excerpt linked in the quote (there is a link to the full essay at the beginning of the excerpt, if you've not checked it yet). The excerpt actually picks up right after the paragraph where I start having problems, though, so it's probably fine if that's all you want to talk about.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:30:43 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: August 21, 2011, 11:59:43 pm »

Point being: we Americans are off gallivanting around the globe when we can neither afford to or justify it morally. We try and fail at both of these. We attempt to fool ourselves into thinking we have any business beyond our own borders or that we support our young men and women in uniform, we absolutely don't to either of these things.

Our government nearly shut down over invented, bullshit politics, which would've left our soldiers' pay in jeopardy in a time of (never ending) war. We also don't provide them with proper body armor or enough armored personnel carriers (and this is why IMPROVISED explosive devices are wounding/killing our troops). Further, we drive around in large SUVs with little yellow ribbon decals saying "Support our Troops." Every time I see one of these, I think: You insufferable bastard, not a dime of the money for those ribbon decals goes to the troops. You want to support them, fork over some tax money. You want to only appear to support them without doing so, buy a ribbon from a profiteer. Americans: You actually give a shit about the troops? Quit buying stupid ribbon decals. Instead, give body armor our government is too crass to give:
http://sftt.org/

This isn't new either.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-03-26-body-armor_x.htm
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08288/919714-53.stm

Fact of the matter is, most Americans have no idea what is going on, why it is going on, etc. They have an "us vs. them" mentality. If you talk to the actual veterans coming back from there; that is not how it works. Rather, that is a large part of the reason we are in this mess. Simply, we don't know a god damn thing....

The guy in that article uses a well known movie to get us to think about the other side's viewpoint and some legit concerns about our own. It's a clever tactic to get people to actually read something instead of watch more TV for a second.

What's that? O my, we're off "spreading freedom?" How foolish of me to complain.... I guess I just don't get it....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:33:59 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: August 22, 2011, 12:34:24 am »

I wonder when movies stopped being movies.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:23 am »

I do too. Sadly, I think it was about the time they started rebooting everything and stopped any attempt at original storyline writing. Now we just have reboots of reboots with little messages thrown in. [sigh]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: August 22, 2011, 12:46:29 am »

You can lie about how wealthy someone is, but not in a way that fools your brain quite as easily

Bernard Maddoff did it for years...

Madoff was a good liar. It takes about 30 minutes of messing around with GIMP to be able to twist reality. Conjuring up a huge Ponzi fraud is much, much more difficult. Besides, Madoff had experience in actual wealth management, making his claims fairly credible.

G-Flex has a good point - we assume photographs to be real. Well, these badly doctored pics are fairly amusing, but the actual trend of image doctoring has some alarming aspects...

I do too. Sadly, I think it was about the time they started rebooting everything and stopped any attempt at original storyline writing. Now we just have reboots of reboots with little messages thrown in. [sigh]

I also wonder when did they stop writing good books and when did the era of good music end... :(
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 22, 2011, 01:05:40 am »

I also wonder when did they stop writing good books and when did the era of good music end... :(

Nah, it's not as bad as you think.

There was always reboots, always rehashes and always inspirations drawn from previously told stories. With all the excellent flavor of mythology behind us I can't really justify the lack of an original story being the problem modern entertainment is suffering from. They are just crummy retellings of good old stories produced with every detail aimed at selling to various markets. Producers do not ask "What would be entertaining here" but "What action here would sell well to our target demographics?" Writers are hired to string these various selling points together with a narrative.

I think I'm just annoyed at flocks of people surrounding the idea that media is worse nowadays, or that a lack of originality is the problem. I don't really know a solution without looking like a giant tool and using the term "The uneducated masses", I just recognize this as the kind of stuff I used to say without really looking into these things.

Edit: Ugh there is a lot of inflammatory stuff here. All my frustration is directed at those trying to sell this stuff to us. You guys are my bros, we are stickin' through this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 852