Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854146 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:52 am »

Sex is determined by the sperm, not the ova. Just saying.
Shush, you. You're ruining the joke.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: August 16, 2011, 10:18:41 am »

Sex is determined by the sperm, not the ova. Just saying.
Shush, you. You're ruining the joke.

Sorry :/
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:03 am »

LOL...we love that our kids are "abnormal". They take after us.  ;)
I wish mine was more abnormal. My "normal" spouse disagrees. :(

And you haven't seen anyone debate the study you brought up? I beg to differ:
I'd have to see repeated experimental data with male fetuses with abnormally low testosterone and female fetuses with abnormally high testosterone, and then see their growth and development tracked out over the formative years. And adjusted for socialization influences.
This has been done. Both with artificially increased/decreases hormone levels in primates and measured ones in humans, and those humans tracked unti lat least high-school.
That, I would be interested to read. Especially with regards to how they account for socialization. The only truly experimental way to deal with two major variables (hormone level and socialization) would be to have:

Control group: Normal hormone levels, raised with gender-neutral socialization
Group A: Normal hormone levels, raised with "normal" (read: gender-reinforcing) socialization
Group B: Normal hormone levels, raised with counter-gender socialization (boys told how pretty they are and passive behavior encouraged, girls told how strong they are and aggressive behavior dismissed as "girls will be girls")
Group C: Counter-normal hormone leves, raised gender-neutral
Group D: Counter-normal hormone levels, raised gender-reinforced
Group E: Counter-normal hormone levels, raised counter-gender.

Of course, arranging such an experiment is kinda dicey, cause you just don't want to screw with people's lives. You could try something similar with primates, but gender socialization there is far less pervasive or influential compared to human society. Human children are bombarded with gender cues from the moment they're born and that little pink or blue tag is placed on their foot.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:01 am »

So....you're agreeing? Not agreeing? Not really sure what the point was here.
I didn't know I had to pick a side. ;)  Injection of information.  Take it how you will.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:51 pm »

I wish you guys would stop making generalizations about how women know women are good at tech things but they like dolls because they like babies and it's all just biological predestination issues at heart without asking the woman in the actual tech major.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »

I wish you guys would stop making generalizations about how women know women are good at tech things but they like dolls because they like babies and it's all just biological predestination issues at heart without asking the woman in the actual tech major.
Oh. Excuse us for that, we didn't mean to forget about you. I think most of us assumed that you would speak up at some point, but I see that said assumption was rather rude and unsound. I would hope that, even though we've sorely neglected you thus far, you would still be willing to share your experiences, but if we insulted you to the point that you don't then I understand that. Again, I doubt anyone here intended to belittle you or forget about you although it most clearly happened and that can't be justified.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »

Best physicists I have ever worked with were women. Pretty sure this had nothing to do with thier gender.

Just sayin...
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »

I don't really have energy to talk extensively, but I gotta say, mathematics is a painful field to go in as a woman.

Where I come from, anyway, as an undergraduate.

All your teachers are men.  Every graduate you meet will be male.  Some of them will make jibes at you for being female.  You can never tell when they're complimenting you and when they're messing with you.
All the people who wrote every single theorem you learned were men.  Period.
You don't have to walk two inches on the internet to find someone explaining that women just really aren't as good.  Period.  By very smart people, on very legitimate sites.
You have female celebrities writing books like this to great acclaim, bringing mathematics to the young women who clearly wouldn't get it if it weren't all about dates, pink, and parties.  Oh, and above all, boys.
For me, at least, I can never tell if I'm doing well or just being another uppity female who thinks she can do math and doesn't really get it.  The stress is murderous.  During the school year, I often get a stomach ache that never really goes away.
If you say you're worried about getting into graduate school, everyone will tell you "it's okay.  You'll get in.  You're a girl," so that no matter how well you do, it will never be your work.  Men usually get to say "It was because I worked hard."  They don't have to confront their privilege.  But yours is obvious and unfair.

I often have to remind myself that I don't want to date or get married or have children, because statistically those are characteristics of women who don't go far in mathematics.  If you're a woman and want a family, you'd better not do math, is what the brochures say, all those articles to explain why you won't get very far in life.  Here are the traps of being a woman, piled with all the traps of being a person that men can fall into.  Better'd watch out.  You don't take enough risks because you're a woman.  You don't study as hard because you're a woman.  You don't focus as well because you're a woman.  You waste your time on stupid shit because you're a woman.  You pay attention to your appearance because you're a woman.  You're bad at math because you're a woman.  You're going to make it only because you're a woman and they feel bad about not having even numbers or some shit, these folks are too PC, aren't they.

For me, at least, I end up being ashamed of being female and wishing that I had just had the good fortune to be born male, so that I could do this and enter in a society of my people.  Instead, I feel like I'm worming my way into somewhere I don't belong.  A society of men, where my only recourse is to be the absolute top at all times, in everything.  The best in understanding the social hierarchy.  The most enthusiastic.  The one with the clearest proofs.  The one with the best ideas.  The one with the most confidence.  And otherwise, I won't make it anywhere.

Because claims of pseudointellectualism or not, appearances do matter.  I've already made the mistake of wearing a woman's face and a woman's body while trying to do math.  It's something I have to actively work to negate.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 16, 2011, 02:18:55 pm »

For the doll part... I find it unlikely that dolls are a popular toy choice for girls simply because our culture forces it upon them. This is what I base my belief upon - studies show that humans are not the only species whose females prefer dolls. There must be some natural foundation to why girls prefer dolls, and the explanation provided in the article makes sense - since the woman is the one breastfeeding and taking care of the infant, it makes sense to learn mothering skills like this.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:20 pm »

Regarding female mathematicians staying single, I always figured that applied to both genders, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:32 pm »

Oh. Excuse us for that, we didn't mean to forget about you. I think most of us assumed that you would speak up at some point, but I see that said assumption was rather rude and unsound. I would hope that, even though we've sorely neglected you thus far, you would still be willing to share your experiences, but if we insulted you to the point that you don't then I understand that. Again, I doubt anyone here intended to belittle you or forget about you although it most clearly happened and that can't be justified.
Sarcasm much? Really...the passive-agressive bullshit is unbecoming.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 16, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »

Sarcasm much? Really...the passive-agressive bullshit is unbecoming.

Should have added a sarcmarc, though anyone willing to take it as a compliment is free to do so ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 16, 2011, 02:27:28 pm »

There must be some natural foundation to why girls prefer dolls, and the explanation provided in the article makes sense - since the woman is the one breastfeeding and taking care of the infant, it makes sense to learn mothering skills like this.

Please explain my hatred of dolls using science.

Regarding female mathematicians staying single, I always figured that applied to both genders, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Not really.  Many of the great men in mathematics had wives and (loads and loads of) kids.  I'm especially thinking of Euler and so on.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 16, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »

There must be some natural foundation to why girls prefer dolls, and the explanation provided in the article makes sense - since the woman is the one breastfeeding and taking care of the infant, it makes sense to learn mothering skills like this.

Please explain my hatred of dolls using science.

Pretty hard when you're just bits on my monitor, I'm afraid. Maybe if I could see you in real life (no, this is not a request). How is that even relevant, by the way?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »

I'm a woman who bucks the trend.  I never liked dolls.  At all.

There must be a scientific explanation for this as part of your theory.  Otherwise I, being a slave to my biological need to feed hairless rats with my body after having housed the parasites in my body for nine months, would not have just written that sentence and would presumably like dolls.

That's what a biological imperative is.  Something that's programmed into you.

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 852