Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854700 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3600 on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »

Yeah, instead they should auto stamp pregnant women. That's gonna solve all the worlds problems.

MoM, I do see his point. Assuming that there are an equal amount of qualified people in every group of people, then forcing a even distribution would mean a greater number of qualified people over all.
But there aren't an equal amount of qualified people in every group, for every job. Pregnant women, for example, would be unfit for most jobs that require long-term physical activity due to the danger that would pose to mother, child, and coworkers. Hence, you can't force an even distribution and expect to increase qualification.
Not to mention that even if there were an equal number of qualified people in every definable group, for every job, that still doesn't ensure that your applicants will be a representative sample of that group. In a lot of situations, you'll have a pretty small sample size. I can't help but assume that Virex was trolling, because that idea makes no sense, of any kind.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: August 15, 2011, 12:54:10 pm »

Yeah, instead they should auto stamp pregnant women. That's gonna solve all the worlds problems.

MoM, I do see his point. Assuming that there are an equal amount of qualified people in every group of people, then forcing a even distribution would mean a greater number of qualified people over all.
But there aren't an equal amount of qualified people in every group, for every job. Pregnant women, for example, would be unfit for most jobs that require long-term physical activity due to the danger that would pose to mother, child, and coworkers. Hence, you can't force an even distribution and expect to increase qualification.
Not to mention that even if there were an equal number of qualified people in every definable group, for every job, that still doesn't ensure that your applicants will be a representative sample of that group. In a lot of situations, you'll have a pretty small sample size. I can't help but assume that Virex was trolling, because that idea makes no sense, of any kind.

I can't say the idea hasn't crossed my mind a few times in this thread...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »

Something wrong with affirmative action and anti discrimination laws?

Ok maybe they're not super effective all the time, but forcing quotas sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: August 15, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »

Affirmative Action is only fair to society as a whole. To individuals, it is unfair in the extreme. No real issue with anti-discrimination laws, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:25 pm »

Affirmative Action is only fair to society as a whole. To individuals, it is unfair in the extreme. No real issue with anti-discrimination laws, though.
Yeah, but what Virex is proposing is reverse discrimination, not anti-discrimination. Discriminating against a majority is still discrimination.
*Hugs*

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: August 15, 2011, 01:03:59 pm »

Something wrong with affirmative action and anti discrimination laws?

Ok maybe they're not super effective all the time, but forcing quotas sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Affirmative action is, in my opinion, not the way to protect gender equality but may be necessary (or useful) as a transitional stage. I'd prefer not to have to use it though, because adding differentation between sexes isn't going to help equality in the long run - limited and smaller-scale use is ok, but the sort of Universal 50/50 gender division Virex is trying to sell is going way, way, way... too far.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: August 15, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »

It's not even that. Typically, affirmative action and the like at least require applicants to be competent to do the job before they take precedence; even in the most extreme examples, they only would require that the least competent individual who still meets the minimum qualifications be hired. Virex's proposal amounts to saying that you only need to look at actual qualifications if there are no pregnant women to be hired. I'm not sure how a fetus substitutes for 5 years experience in a chemistry lab, but apparently in this system it would do that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »

Well yeah, it's a choice between merciless "efficiency" in the name of the free market-god or a human allocation of opportunities. "It's going to reduce the amount of qualified people!" is the easiest way to justify discrimination because the one hiring gets to say who's qualified and he's unfortunately generally rather biased. We should be less fearful of the gods we have created in the form of the free market and managers and instead dare to make that change, because if we let them keep society hostage like that we can't progress towards a less oppressive society.
Basically I don't subscribe to the idea that companies should have to pick the best person for the job solely on their own arbitrary schemes, but society should also have a say in who gets to work and that will sometimes mean that people who wouldn't be qualified in a strict meritocratic system still have to be chosen over others.

Also, I could see some situations in which exempts could be necessary. Small businesses should be exempt by virtue of the sheer variance you find at the low end of the scale and there should be ample time to adapt to the new situation. That doesn't mean nothing should be done, it just means that we need to be smart about how it's done.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:17:19 pm by Virex »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: August 15, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »

"It's going to reduce the amount of qualified people!" is the easiest way to justify discrimination
Wat. If anything it's discrimination that reduces the amount of qualified people and as such should not be justified.

E:Oh I see what you mean.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:15 pm »

I can't say the idea hasn't crossed my mind a few times in this thread...
You know, I have considered copping out and claiming I was trolling at some points, but I guess I'm kind of a sadomachochist when it comes to arguing or something...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: August 15, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »

So...this system merely discriminates against the most qualified. Yeah, that's a great idea.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »

So...this system merely discriminates against the most qualified. Yeah, that's a great idea.
I presume you're a flat tax supporter as well?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:45 pm »

That has nothing to do with the current discussion.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: August 15, 2011, 03:10:06 pm »

No, I just believe in meritocracy. See the regular rage thread for my ranting about the pitfalls of employing people with no regard to their actual ability to perform their job.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: August 15, 2011, 03:10:20 pm »

Well yeah, it's a choice between merciless "efficiency" in the name of the free market-god or a human allocation of opportunities.  -snip snip-

You make claims that companies routinely recruit people on sexist grounds without any proof whatsoever. You've been doing that a lot in this thread - claiming that <evil phenomenon X> is common without backing it up with anything but scary talk.

No matter which kind of market system you want to run, you'll need qualified people for each job. Farmers who know nothing about farming are equally bad under free market systems, Zeitgeist future cities and communist utopias. Doctors who don't know what an appendix is are equally bad under free market systems, Zeitgeist future cities and under communist utopias. Consider yourself going to a doctor, with a lump of cancer inside you. Which doctor would you want to handle your treatment - one that has medical degrees and experience, or one who has no degrees but good intentions and a fetus inside her?

Seriously, Virex, I think you're a hypocrite. You're constantly complaining about discrimination while pushing policies that are even worse. Consider the situation where pregnant women would automatically get jobs - it would no longer make sense for a woman to get educated, as getting pregnant provides employment easier. Over time, you'd have women actually become the more ignorant sex and a burden for employers. Works pretty badly for gender equality.

Also, what would happen to people like me? I've studied for years to land a job in the development department of a respected medium-sized IT company, and you'd prefer hiring someone who can't program, but does have a vagina? That's discrimination. If you claim to oppose discrimination, you can't condone this without being a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:12:30 pm by Kay12 »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 852