Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856111 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3180 on: August 09, 2011, 03:35:33 am »

Interesting. I'm still not sure I believe the story posted in the prior link though, with the school faculty and the "implied consent". And even if it is legit, I don't like the undertones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: August 09, 2011, 03:37:10 am »

I haven't heard of cases of people voluntarily removing perfectly functional body parts, but I'm not questioning the phenomenon's reality. It reminds me of a human arm transplants, as supposedly the transplanted arms will feel strange and unfamiliar, even threatening, which is why some people wish to undo the transplant. Could these two be related?

I've never heard of that happening, at least frequently. It's true that the firwt hand recipient did ask for it to be removed' but it was due to problems following the immunosuppresant therapy (and tbh, I dont think it was a great idea in the first place, choosing him. Immunowuppresants + life in prison adds up to TB)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: August 09, 2011, 03:38:36 am »

Gloria Steinem once said, "We need to raise boys like we raise girls," and the NCSEE members are working hard to put Steinem’s idea into practice. NCSEE members consider re-socializing boys to be a matter of urgency.

I learned at the conference that many of these "equity experts" believe that the school yard is a training ground for domestic battery. One keynote speaker identified young male chasing behavior as conducive to future violence.

The Wellesley Center, in conjunction with the National Education Association and the Department of Education, has produced a new teacher’s guide called Quit It! that offers exercises on how to cope with such things as the game of tag and other games involving chasing (p.86): "Before going outside to play, talk about how students feel when playing a game of tag. Do they like to be chased? Do they like to do the chasing? How does it feel to be tagged out? Get their ideas about other ways the game might be played. Then, tell them that they are going to be playing a different kinds of tag ‘one where nobody is ever ‘out.’"

The guide recommends and gives the rules for new, non-violent, non-competitive version of tag called "Circle of Friends."
That.....is so stupid there isn't even a good word for how stupid it is. People like to play Tag because, on a psychological level, it feels good to chase people and run away from people due to the endorphin rush it causes. The "thrill of the hunt" and "running for your life" respectively. There's no power struggle going on in Tag, just people using the mechanics of survival instincts to have fun.

Hell, tag isn't even violent like Steinem claims. The extent of the physical contact involved is the moment of tagging someone, it would be counterproductive to try to inflict violence upon them because you'd be tagged back as a result. There is literally nothing in common with domestic battery, not even a benign resemblance, much less a malignant one.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: August 09, 2011, 03:43:16 am »

Yeah, if you want to complain about anything complain about the old standby in these cases: Dodgeball. At least that arguably encourages victimizing and predatory pack behavior!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: August 09, 2011, 03:49:26 am »

Which part do you doubt? We are given a title of the pUblication and a page number. There's other references to the guide "Quit It!" if you google it (it was published in 1998). I have no reason to assume Cristina Sommers is lying about the content.

It's just that the text you quoted presents a theory that sounds reasonable, but where's the evidence? Has there been observed correlation between childhood game of tag and violence as an adult? And if such connection exists, how strong is the influence of childhood games towards adult behavior? Pardon me if I'm being too sceptical.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:47 am »

Maybe your missing my point. I'm not saying there's a link. They are. I'm ridiculing the "link". Just thought I'd clarify my position.

The lack of evidence you point out is valid, and is exactly what I'm on about. But the belief affects public policy, at least in the United States, never heard anyone cite the link in Australia for example, heh.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:59:02 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:11 am »

So, exactly what I said...
Real theory, perhaps, but whether that's factually accurate is another thing...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:45 am »

Sorry I misconstrued your intent then. I thought you were doubting that people were pushing the theory, when in fact you doubt the theory itself, the same as I do. :)

I mainly posted the link because some people questioned whether this was a real theory or not. There was the claim that it was a made-up theory by trolls to falsely attribute to feminists. Cristina Sommers article shows that it's a real theory within the education community. (and a pretty messed-up theory at that).

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: August 09, 2011, 04:08:17 am »

We played a game called "LTS football", or in translation, "Lower Technical School Soccer". The LTS was famous for its anti-social and not too bright students.

The rules were as follows: there was a "buut" or "safe haven". A ball would be kicked around. If you kicked and missed the ball, or if it went between your legs, you were out, and had to get to the safe haven ASAP. As long as you had not reached the safe haven, all the other players were allowed to kick the shit out of you. Yes, you read that correctly, and we played that voluntarily. No kicks to the head, and no pushing so he can't reach the buut. A day without bruises was a day you haven't lived.  :D

And people whine about Tag? Youngsters these days...

Strangely, girls never played that game. It's not that they weren't allowed to.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:37 am »

My favorite game was... uh, I don't know whether it has an English name. One of the players is "it" and the others sit on a bench. The "it" has a ball and his goal is to throw it and hit someone on the bench, a bit like dodgeball. Feet and head were "safe", so people on the bench can try to block the ball - if the thrower catches it without it bouncing first, the deflecter is the next "it", though. People on the bench are allowed to leave it, but if the thrower has the ball and is standing on the throwing spot he can instantly "out" anyone not touching the bench. As an additional rule, we had a goalpost some 50 meters from the bench that served as the "life spot" from where anyone could get an "extra life" to avoid becoming the "it" when hit with the ball, provided they could make it there and back while the thrower was busy finding the ball after a particularly bad throw.

And now, what skills does this game teach? Yeah, there's some hunting there... and running... but I think as children's games go, that one's fairly good as it also teaches valuable skills in risk taking and trickery. I was never too athletic but I always did well in this because it was about more than just running fast, and if I recall correctly, the girls played with us.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #3190 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:18 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14454175

So yeah, the Middle East is pissed at Syria.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: August 09, 2011, 05:13:47 am »

In secondary school, we played rock fights. This was all well and good until "nobby" took one to the forhead ond got knocked out. Then the school cleared the rubble we were allowed to play in.

Either that or extreme hide and seek featuring hiding on the motorway, in the sewers or industrial installations and large amounts of hurting each other.

I am normal.
This is a blank sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: August 09, 2011, 05:16:20 am »

My favorite game was a variant of tag was a game in which a friend and I assaulted people who were playing soccer in the playground. Then we ran to avoid getting lynched by them. Good times.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:07 am »

Where'd you go to school, Monkeyhead, post-war Stalingrad?

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:52 am »

I love you all
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 852